Fashion & Beauty

watch lovers....what's your favorite watch?

Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
Stock R wrote: Thread has been jacked!

Q: How do you find the Emotiva products in general? I almost had Mrs. convinced before because of the blue LED lights on their products. LOL. There's a few of their products (processor, amps, cd player) I'd like to get someday. Also, have you had a chance to hear their speakers? Price seems quite affordable... I'm looking at building the mini-man cave now and their in-wall's would work very well...

I have Jamo's but I'm not sure how their product range is at the price point you were probably looking at. I have one of their S420 5.0 setups that I got for $240 ... I find it hard to imagine a company that puts out a 5.0 system at that price range would also make something suitable to be powered with what you have.

I think Emotiva makes good stuff especially for the price. My only experience with them so far is the fact that their product is now sitting in my living room upstairs waiting for everything to be done downstairs. I've listened to the amp temporarily and it does a job an Amp should do. The subwoofer is still questionable and i can always use it to power the rear and have a new unit in the fronts. I'm still opened to any changes as my build isn't finished. I agree with Gunner that SVS makes great products, but if I can get similar performance out of Emotiva at a fraction of the cost, i definately will not hesitate to swing that route.

It would be very difficult for me to part ways with serious cash on products that i can't audition, especially ones that effect the overall sound (amp's should not, unless they are real crap).

I've always liked Marantz receivers and really enjoy their ability to playback music, hence the reason i went with the Marantz. Even over the new Integra that has tons of features and especially the EXT32.

Now, Jamo makes good stuff. Just beacuse they have 5.0 setup that costs low, doesn't mean they don't have setups that cost in the thousands. Even B&W and KEF's have HTIB's in a box. There is a huge market that these companies would be missing if they didn't have an offerig in that price range.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2008
1472 posts
138 upvotes
Just curious but what is the main appeal of an expensive watch? Jewelry? Or...?
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
Maedhros wrote: Just curious but what is the main appeal of an expensive watch? Jewelry? Or...?

everyone has different reasons:
-brand snobbery
-workmanship
-stunning looks
-investment
-jewelry
-attention getting

like GunnerX said, why buy a luxury car when we can all get an Accent.
Be kind and civil with one another
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
GunnerX wrote: I was replying to the post before mine. I guess I should have quoted.

It's cool :)
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
MrDisco wrote: gotta be honest, when i first saw that pic i thought it was a cheapie watch from dealextreme. :o

Here are some better shots:

[IMG]http://www.worldwatchreview.com/wp-cont ... seback.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.dominicanrepubliccru.com/rep ... cation.jpg[/IMG]

In case you didn't notice, the whole dial with the dual tourbillons rotates to indicate the hours.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
Maedhros wrote: Just curious but what is the main appeal of an expensive watch? Jewelry? Or...?

its really the only jewelry that men where.

also, some people upgrade their iPhones on every iteration, others spend their money on watches that last a lifetime.

its not the expensive part, but rather the mechanical engineering that go into them.

to others, its a statement that life is good and they can spend their hard earned $$ for a piece of metal that any digital phone can tell you the current time on.

to each his own.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
AudiDude wrote: case you didn't notice, the whole dial with the dual tourbillons rotates to indicate the hours.

here's a breguet story for you. My dealer buddy down in the Caribbean, gives his brother in law a breguet at cost. A week later, he's at the breguet store in Manhattan and tells the sales rep the price he paid on his piece.

seriously, no later then 1min he walks out of the breguet store, he gets a phone call from my buddy telling him to never open his mouth again on the price. The president of breguet made a personal call down there to make sure that he didn't go bragging anymore.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8687 posts
1542 upvotes
r1lee wrote: here's a breguet story for you. My dealer buddy down in the Caribbean, gives his brother in law a breguet at cost. A week later, he's at the breguet store in Manhattan and tells the sales rep the price he paid on his piece.

seriously, no later then 1min he walks out of the breguet store, he gets a phone call from my buddy telling him to never open his mouth again on the price. The president of breguet made a personal call down there to make sure that he didn't go bragging anymore.

Interested in knowing what the markup on something like a Breguet is... It's gotta be at least 200% I would think.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
Stock R wrote: Interested in knowing what the markup on something like a Breguet is... It's gotta be at least 200% I would think.

personally i don't know if he got it below cost or a special cost since he was family. Usually I've seen employee purchases approved by the manufacturer to be much lower then actual store cost. The president wasn't pissed, just informed my buddy to tell his brother in law to keep it quiet.

I have personally seen the price list of IWC, Rolex, Breitling, Omega, etc. System cost is usually 50% of selling price. That's why a lot of stores if you know them very well will do 30-35% off for you.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10111 posts
1966 upvotes
Toronto
I thought of starting a new thread, but since this is 100% watch related: sorry for the lateness, Toronto's location ends today (Oct 21).
It is at Yonge & Finch (Classic Creations store). Go visit them and show them our Canadian welcome-ness!!

http://www.orbita.com/NEW/Galleries-Roadshow.htm

Classic Creations
Newtonbrook Plaza,
5799 Yonge Street

Toronto
Oct. 19, 20, 21

THE ORBITA ROADSHOW

Normally, you'd have to visit ORBITA's tradeshows in Basel, Switzerland or Las Vegas, Nevada to view our full product line. That's not practical for most folks, so we decided to bring our products for viewing to locales all over the USA. Now, interested parties can see first-hand the many fine products we have to offer to watch collectors. Together with our dealers, we sponsor a series of Roadshow events throughout the year. Whenever possible, we try to schedule these events to run concurrently with dealer sponsored "watch-fairs" and other local dealer promotion events. We also bring the ORBITA Roadshow to several major Collector Car Auctions, National Boat Shows and other Luxury Goods events.

The ORBITA Roadshow is housed within a deluxe purpose-built 24-foot long trailer. Its interior has been fitted out to resemble a fine Fifth Avenue jewelry showroom. Custom cherry-wood wall shelving and cabinetry, deep plush carpet, full air-conditioning, background music and a huge video plasma display all help to create a pleasant customer environment for viewing and testing the full line of ORBITA's American-made watchwinders and watch storage products.
Jan 30, 2011
106 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Vacheron Constantine = My dream!! ;)
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
1862 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto
Since we are on topic of Breguets. I would like to upload a picture when I get home. They are a beauty *sigh
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2006
1825 posts
465 upvotes
duckdown wrote: Right now I have the DateJust II though with ivory dial.. Stainless & White Gold.. It's my baby

if your looking to move it, let me know, i prefer the roman numerals but will settle
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
duckdown wrote: I wish -- I don't have it yet, got about $15k saved up towards one so far. Right now I have the DateJust II though with ivory dial.. Stainless & White Gold.. It's my baby

no matter what some people say about Rolex, personally I don't think any collection is complete without one.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
8455 posts
2000 upvotes
r1lee wrote: Some you probably heard of and some not. For speakers I tested B&W's, Tannoys, Focal, Mirage, Jammo, Paradigm and few others.

Speakers
Front L/R - Focus Audio Prestige FP80 non SE
Front center - Focus Audio Prestige Center SE
Sides L/R - Focus Audio Classic FC70 (i had them redone from birch to piano black to match my fronts).
Rear L/R - Focus Audio Classic FC550 (also had these redone)

Amps
Emotiva XPA-1's * 3 for fronts
Emotiva UPA-1's * 2 for sides
Emotiva UPA-2 for rear

Processor
Marantz AVR7005

Subs
Emotiva X-ref12's * 2
I'm waiting for the new X-ref15 to be launch later this year. I will buy 2 and put them as my fronts and stack the 12's for the rear. If i hear bad reviews of the X-ref15's i might just get 2 SVS PB13-Ultras.

Projector: Panasonic PT-AE7000

i can't think of anything else..

you're gonna like the marantz, i have the SR6005. passed on the 7005 because the extra features to price ration didnt make sense, and i got the 6005 for 900 with taxes included on a decent deal.

For subs, i bought a Submersive HP and i cant really run it past 20-30% max gain because i live in an apartment, but the quality is ridiculous. The power is as much if not more than any ported sub because of its 2400w amp, and the dual 15 inch drivers are insane.

SVS has good products but their sealed stuff, which offers the best clarity for subs, is okay but the price commands more of a premium than other internet retailers.

My speakers are just polk rti A3s and 9s. theyre a bit lively, higher pitched (not by much but if you listen for it its noticeable). Id like to upgrade in a few years but i cant get a job since i came back from europe so im gonna have to put hobbies on the back burner for now

If you dont like your subs, id really REALLY recommend getting 2 submersives. 1 front 1 back, corner to corner and make sure the house foundation is solid lol
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8687 posts
1542 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote: For subs, i bought a Submersive HP and i cant really run it past 20-30% max gain because i live in an apartment, but the quality is ridiculous. The power is as much if not more than any ported sub because of its 2400w amp, and the dual 15 inch drivers are insane.

How do you get away with that? I live in a semi and keep the sub way down low just to make sure I don't piss off my neighbour.

I ran my butt shakers up a little higher once and once the rumbling started, I knew it was going through cause I could hear the neighbour's dog go crazy. hahaha.