Fashion & Apparel

watch lovers....what's your favorite watch?

Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
5922 posts
590 upvotes
Greely
I'm dating myself here, but I don't care. My 40th birthday present to myself arrived today in the mail.

Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2007
4860 posts
818 upvotes
Peterborough
steve-0101 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2014 9:16 pm
I'm dating myself here, but I don't care. My 40th birthday present to myself arrived today in the mail.

Very nice. Do you work or hang with anyone that will be able to appreciate that along with you?
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
5922 posts
590 upvotes
Greely
dutchca wrote:
Dec 17th, 2014 10:14 pm
Very nice. Do you work or hang with anyone that will be able to appreciate that along with you?
Nope. And that's OK with me. I don't mind enjoying it alone.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10744 posts
1751 upvotes
Ottawa
Very nice Steve-0101, that watch has a lot of tough watch presence and character but looks classy at the same time
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1612 posts
164 upvotes
djdestroyer wrote:
Dec 17th, 2014 6:29 pm
I'm looking for a Sea Dweller/Submariner look-alike. I don't want a knock-off Rolex but rather a solid watch with the same styling cues.

I've narrowed it down to the Seiko 5 SNZF17 (or SNZF29 if I can find one at a good price, that is also made in Japan).

OR

The Orient Mako

OR

????

My price range is under $1000 but I'm really just looking for value and Rolex Submariner/Sea Dweller styling so anything will work really and I don't think I need to go anywhere near $500. I would if it meant getting an in-house movement or something but this falls under value anyways. I'll pay what I need to to get a good watch, just needs to have solid value!

Thanks
i think the seiko divers are good choice for that price range. If you can flex the budget up the new grand seiko quartz diver are nice.
Wedding & Child Photographer ~ happily photographing
My Flickr
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
5922 posts
590 upvotes
Greely
warpdrive wrote:
Dec 17th, 2014 10:45 pm
Very nice Steve-0101, that watch has a lot of tough watch presence and character but looks classy at the same time
Thanks, I'm very happy with it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
5922 posts
590 upvotes
Greely
inzite wrote:
Dec 17th, 2014 10:51 pm
i think the seiko divers are good choice for that price range. If you can flex the budget up the new grand seiko quartz diver are nice.
+1, some great value in the Seiko divers, and very reliable movements. I have way too many.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
3667 posts
856 upvotes
Debtario
djdestroyer wrote:
I'm looking for a Sea Dweller/Submariner look-alike. I don't want a knock-off Rolex but rather a solid watch with the same styling cues.

I've narrowed it down to the Seiko 5 SNZF17 (or SNZF29 if I can find one at a good price, that is also made in Japan).

OR

The Orient Mako

OR

????

My price range is under $1000 but I'm really just looking for value and Rolex Submariner/Sea Dweller styling so anything will work really and I don't think I need to go anywhere near $500. I would if it meant getting an in-house movement or something but this falls under value anyways. I'll pay what I need to to get a good watch, just needs to have solid value!

Thanks
Seiko's submariner look-alike is the SBDC007 "Shogun" - titanium case, 6R15 movt., 22mm lugs, but at near $1000 it's overpriced for what it is IMO. You can get a sumo with the same movement and a more unique design for under $500 CAD.

If you want to go with a straight-up submariner/sea dweller homage that's extremely close yet around $500, take a look at the Squale 20 atmos or the Steinhart ocean one/ ocean vintage red, or ocean vintage military, whatever appeals to you most. If you need even closer to the real deal, around $1k will get you an MKII Nassau, though you'll have to preorder and wait some time.

If you are lume lover, stick to Seiko because everyone else's lume is disappointing after you experience seiko's lumibrite.
steve-0101 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2014 9:16 pm

Beautiful MM600! Love the design much more over the MM300, but it's larger and my main issue with the MM300 was its height. Not excluding it for a future purchase though.
inzite wrote:
Dec 17th, 2014 10:51 pm
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
2422 posts
370 upvotes
djdestroyer wrote:

OR

The Orient Mako

OR

????

Thanks
Get a Steinhart. They're in your budget. Much better choices than the Orient or Seiko (although those are both fine watches).

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/diver-watch.html
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
11780 posts
902 upvotes
Mississauga
Phlegmbot wrote:
Dec 18th, 2014 9:42 am
Get a Steinhart. They're in your budget. Much better choices than the Orient or Seiko (although those are both fine watches).

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/diver-watch.html
The Orient Mako is one of the best deals out there in terms of accuracy, style and polish. (I say this while I cherish my latest Seiko 007 diver). The overall finish and polish on the Orient Mako is much better.
Jan 12, 2008
370 posts
42 upvotes
TDot
weedb0y wrote:
Dec 18th, 2014 11:31 am
The Orient Mako is one of the best deals out there in terms of accuracy, style and polish. (I say this while I cherish my latest Seiko 007 diver). The overall finish and polish on the Orient Mako is much better.
The SKX007 is awesome and alot of watch for the money... To each their own, but to think some would spend more $$ for a Micheal Kors watch blows my mind.

The 007 I used to have had the "Diver's 200m" text in red, how come yours is in white?
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
3667 posts
856 upvotes
Debtario
IndusVally wrote:
Dec 18th, 2014 1:32 pm
The SKX007 is awesome and alot of watch for the money... To each their own, but to think some would spend more $$ for a Micheal Kors watch blows my mind.

The 007 I used to have had the "Diver's 200m" text in red, how come yours is in white?
I agree, seems crazy how much people are willing to spend on certain brands. IMO in some ways many of the swatch and swiss brands are the worst offenders in sky-high pricing based on brand name, though you do get a quality product even if the price is grossly inflated. It's amazing how powerful marketing is. But to each their own indeed, if they can afford it then by all means.

As to the white text, I think that's just photo effects at work. Otherwise white text on the "diver's 200m" indicates a fake or an old faded dial, which I'm sure neither is the case since I recall him mentioning he got it from Seiko 3S on rakuten (trusted seller)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
5922 posts
590 upvotes
Greely
weedb0y wrote:
Dec 18th, 2014 11:29 am
And here is the pic of the latest SKX007 on a brown strap
Looks great on that brown strap. I might have to rejuvenate mine.