Fashion & Beauty

watch lovers....what's your favorite watch?

Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1466 upvotes
Pickering
Igor01 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2015 2:24 pm
Oh noes, for the love of God, not Archie! Whenever I hear one of his headache-inducing rants inadvertently via youtube autoplay I think that the guy will surely work himself up into a massive coronary if he doesn't take a handful of chill pills.

EDIT: Ok, I actually made myself suffer through Archie's tonsillitis-nuanced rage and watched the video. He actually mentions that the service will only cost $950 but the rest of it is for replacement parts and it sounds like they're talking about a pretty old piece which is probably beat to sh1t and needs major overhaul. Archies says something like "I paid six thousand for it", which implies that it was a very old piece. The fact a picture of a vintage 15202 keeps floating about the screen sorta hints that it may be one of those veterans that they are talking about, and probably one with a lot of mileage on it. I just don't see a 15400 or the new 15202 needing that sort of major work. Especially the I-series 15400 where the potential problems of the previous H-series that could cause excessive wear on some parts have been fixed. You're not likely to need hands, saphire or crown replaced on your watch like the guy in Archie's video unless of course the watch is old enough to require carbon-dating :) But yeah, either way it's still true that the cost of ownership of watches from from the holy trinity, especially the more complicated ones and the vintage pieces could be extraordinarily, stupefyingly expensive!

As far as comparing the AP replicas to the real thing, it shouldn't be too difficult spotting a rep if one is familiar with the genuine model and knows what to look for. I actually followed the entire 15400 replica saga ever since the "BP factory" replica release a couple years ago and know about the "TF best Miyota version" as well as the latest "VF6" release with the decorated 9015 movement that's made to resemble AP's Caliber 3120. Granted, from a distance it would be difficult to tell the difference and they both would keep time just fine, but the finish on the replicas is just not there (would be mind-blowing if it would be considering how the gens are made and finished). The way the light plays on the superbly polished white gold hands, AP logo and hour markers on the 15400 is like an array of silent micro lightning bolts going off all over the dial (which is a sight to behold itself). But even ignoring the obvious material differences, the markers on the replicas are all wrong (too thick with thicker lume strips) and so are the hour and minute hands. The hour markers often have poor alignment, the dial fonts are wrong, the date font is wrong, the bezel screws are steel as opposed to white gold with pretty crappy finish, the bezel holes are too big for the screws and poorly finished. The dial colour is close on the white version but the light reflects very differently on the genuine and the micro detail on the real dial is just beautiful. The movement on the rep of course is just a sad sad parody appearance-wise, even the latest "decorated" one, where the fake decorative plates appear to be reversed in relation to the genuine counterpart and the finish can fool only the most naive and inexperienced and that only from a distance. I won't mention the thickness of the latest rep version either. On the plus side - the rep apparently has a pretty nicely replicated bracelet which despite some roughness can actually fit on the genuine 15400 and doesn't look too bad if one wanted to save their genuine bracelet from inevitable scratches (I ordered a rep bracelet myself out of sheer curiosity, hope it fits well and doesn't look too off).
You have a problem with ol' Arch? Don't like his microphone distorting bellowing? Every time he says "The man on the moon" watch, I want to reach through the screen an pound him in the lip. Anyway, I'd hope that AP would let the watch go with just the requested work done. I've heard a few bad (Rolex) stories about it's either all or nothing when it comes to servicing.

I was surprised at the rep bracelet quality in the link I posted, the lume on the indices were garbage. Of course each rep comes with it's own set of fingerprints all over it (I mean the inside).
Jan 5, 2003
666 posts
57 upvotes
AudiDude wrote:
Jun 11th, 2015 5:10 pm
I was surprised at the rep bracelet quality in the link I posted, the lume on the indices were garbage. Of course each rep comes with it's own set of fingerprints all over it (I mean the inside).
I received the "TF Best Version" 15400 bracelet today and can confirm that it fits fine on the genuine 15400 and looks alright. The finish is a somewhat rougher, the chamfered beveled edges on the links are not quite as perfectly and uniformly angled, there's about a 3mm gap between the two halves of the bracelet when the buckle is engaged. Some reviews said it was like 95% of the original but I'd say it's more like 80%, however overall, for about $100 it's a fracking amazing deal considering that the real bracelet is in the neighborhood of $2000-$2500.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1466 upvotes
Pickering
Igor01 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 2:48 pm
I received the "TF Best Version" 15400 bracelet today and can confirm that it fits fine on the genuine 15400 and looks alright. The finish is a somewhat rougher, the chamfered beveled edges on the links are not quite as perfectly and uniformly angled, there's about a 3mm gap between the two halves of the bracelet when the buckle is engaged. Some reviews said it was like 95% of the original but I'd say it's more like 80%, however overall, for about $100 it's a fracking amazing deal considering that the real bracelet is in the neighborhood of $2000-$2500.
How is the weight? Wondering if it is lighter.
Jan 5, 2003
666 posts
57 upvotes
AudiDude wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 8:42 pm
How is the weight? Wondering if it is lighter.
I didn't notice any perceivable weight or fit difference although the rep bracelet could be a tiny bit thinner but then again it could be just the way the bevels on the links are angled too much creating an impression of thinness. The rep factory pulled off a pretty faithful reproduction actually, even the fit is exactly the same on the wrist - I need a 1.5 link (soon to arrive) on both the bracelets as they both are just a bit tight.

It's pretty funny in a sad way - just one 1.5 link from AP is more than 3 times the price of an entire replica bracelet consisting of 21 links an a deployant! These rep factories could make a killing if they truly upped the finish on the links to the AP level and started selling full bracelets, regular links and 1.5 links. They'd probably make more money on just a couple of links than they make an entire fake 15400 for a minute fraction of the time, material and effort invested in repping an entire watch.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1466 upvotes
Pickering
Igor01 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 9:00 pm
I didn't notice any perceivable weight or fit difference although the rep bracelet could be a tiny bit thinner but then again it could be just the way the bevels on the links are angled too much creating an impression of thinness. The rep factory pulled off a pretty faithful reproduction actually, even the fit is exactly the same on the wrist - I need a 1.5 link (soon to arrive) on both the bracelets as they both are just a bit tight.

It's pretty funny in a sad way - just one 1.5 link from AP is more than 3 times the price of an entire replica bracelet consisting of 21 links an a deployant! These rep factories could make a killing if they truly upped the finish on the links to the AP level and started selling full bracelets, regular links and 1.5 links. They'd probably make more money on just a couple of links than they make an entire fake 15400 for a minute fraction of the time, material and effort invested in repping an entire watch.
Time to bubble wrap the original before you wear it.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21720 posts
2424 upvotes
Montreal
EH15 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2015 11:43 pm
Hey guys, I'm looking for a watch for my dad for Father's day

What do you think about this one for the price? Overpriced or appropriately priced? If not, any other suggestions?

http://www.amazon.ca/Tissot-T41148333-L ... t+le+locle
I've always like the Tissot le Locle.

You may like the Hamilton Jazzmaster which has a mre modern look:

http://www.amazon.ca/Hamilton-H32515155 ... jazzmaster
Dec 25, 2010
716 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
http://i.imgur.com/5iIYHM3.jpg

Can't sleep but here is my brand new watch! Very thankful for this gift!

Don't really know much about watches as my most expensive one was a Seiko 5 that I lost during a workout at school many years ago. Definitely won't be bringing this to the gym! Lol
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2799 posts
257 upvotes
Vancouver
If it wasn't for the resale value... Rolex would be overrated. They look boring, mostly.
Dec 19, 2016
211 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON
scoobydoo wrote:
Jun 15th, 2015 2:22 am
If it wasn't for the resale value... Rolex would be overrated. They look boring, mostly.
To each his own, and your probably not the only one with that opinion.

However it seems a good number disagree, because as you said the resale value tends to be rather good.

They still make and sell more Luxury watches than any other brand, yet their resale value is still real good.

Hmm, there must be a pretty healthy demand for Rolex watches boring as they maybe.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
8475 posts
960 upvotes
dddrees wrote:
Jun 15th, 2015 6:15 am
To each his own, and your probably not the only one with that opinion.

However it seems a good number disagree, because as you said the resale value tends to be rather good.

They still make and sell more Luxury watches than any other brand, yet their resale value is still real good.

Hmm, there must be a pretty healthy demand for Rolex watches boring as they maybe.
Better stop talking about the Rolie, before audidude come in and talk about how he feel about this topic.

And yes to the bro who won't bringing it to the gym. It's like holding a rolled up cash roll and waving it all the petty thieves.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2007
1501 posts
412 upvotes
bluejazzy wrote:
Jun 15th, 2015 12:55 pm
I love mine, even more when I changed it to a croc band.
Is it too dressy for casual wear? Would you wear every day?
Dec 19, 2016
211 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON
spike1128 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2015 8:07 am
Better stop talking about the Rolie, before audidude come in and talk about how he feel about this topic.

And yes to the bro who won't bringing it to the gym. It's like holding a rolled up cash roll and waving it all the petty thieves.
Good show, thanks for injecting a good healthy dose of intelligence into the discussion.