Fashion & Apparel

watch lovers....what's your favorite watch?

Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2004
1186 posts
220 upvotes
input wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 11:51 am
I love your watches. May I ask how much you paid for your 6309? I want to get one down the line but I don't whether I should buy this one or a brand new Turtle.
I paid $300 USD for the vintage turtle and I think I got a great deal for the condition it is in. Beware of Feikos and Franken Seikos on eBay from the Philippines. I have both the vintage 6309 and the re-issue PADI turtle. While I love both, there's something more satisfying about the vintage one. It's getting plenty of wrist time!
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16174 posts
1747 upvotes
Montreal
Ojibway Bob wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 2:51 pm
I would also like to know if you used the"Bay" or another online watch distributor that is good for affordables?
The bay is awful for watches. You can walk in to most dealers and jewellers and get 15℅ off without trying. 20℅ is common on brands like Hamilton, and I've seen Frederique constant go for 30% off.

Sometimes the bay has sales, but even then jomashop will beat them after currency exchanges, taxes and brokerage.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2006
8096 posts
2235 upvotes
Richmond Hill
FlashFyre wrote:
Feb 27th, 2017 4:23 pm
Been following this thread for awhile. Happy to report I'm the proud owner of a BLNR. Think I've started an addiction. Hardest part will be keeping it from my wife :P
Awesome to see the watch being used for what it was designed for.

My Batman says hi!
Oct 13, 2009
208 posts
46 upvotes
North York
mr_raider wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 6:18 pm
The bay is awful for watches. You can walk in to most dealers and jewellers and get 15℅ off without trying. 20℅ is common on brands like Hamilton, and I've seen Frederique constant go for 30% off.

Sometimes the bay has sales, but even then jomashop will beat them after currency exchanges, taxes and brokerage.
Thanks. I am a novice watch freak and being a new member on a watch forum I am starting to learn more about where to pick em up. I have been to jomashop a few times and see they have a daily deal and I was hopefully able to pick up a nice deal on a Wenger from US Amazon. I was wondering wear the poster was able to pick up the vintage Seikos, If it was online or not.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16174 posts
1747 upvotes
Montreal
Ojibway Bob wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 6:49 pm
Thanks. I am a novice watch freak and being a new member on a watch forum I am starting to learn more about where to pick em up. I have been to jomashop a few times and see they have a daily deal and I was hopefully able to pick up a nice deal on a Wenger from US Amazon. I was wondering wer the poster was able to pick up the vintage Seikos, If it was online or not.
For Seikos and Orient you will quickly learn that the best models are NOT sold in North America. Look to online sites. Long Island watch and Seiya are good for Seikos. For Orient you can look at serious watches.

For vintage seikos look at WUS forums.

And for the love of you wallet don't google the word "urushi". Once you do money will start disappearing from your account.
Oct 13, 2009
208 posts
46 upvotes
North York
mr_raider wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 7:13 pm
For Seikos and Orient you will quickly learn that the best models are NOT sold in North America. Look to online sites. Long Island watch and Seiya are good for Seikos. For Orient you can look at serious watches.

And for the love of you wallet don't google the word "urushi". Once you do money will start disappearing from your account.
LOL you type this AS I am on long Island haha. Now I have to check out serious watches.

Thanks again
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2006
8096 posts
2235 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I've got some friendly advice. DO NOT start this obsession. It's a slippery slope :p
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2744 posts
569 upvotes
LONDON
tcharged wrote:
Feb 20th, 2017 1:04 am
Get an IWC or VC - try something else. I'm really getting into JLC recently. Might buy an Ultra thin moonphase 39.
Stumbled across this, seems like a good deal and alternative to the MUT Moon:http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t= ... sg_7395371

Freshly serviced, 39mm, excellent in house micro rotor movement (I love these rotors lol), 65 hr power reserve, not quite as dressy as a MUT Moon but still very classy, 18k.

I actually ran across one the these a while back, $4500 but not freshly serviced, and a seller based out of Nigeria (although appears to be reputable), I almost pulled the trigger, I think this is a better deal IMO.

If I'm not overseas ATM I might pull the trigger on this one if I can haggle the price down a bit more. I would say the momevment design and finish etc is comparable to a VC, which would cost 3x the price at least in similar condition.

Similar watch and movement:
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
2800 posts
179 upvotes
Mississauga
da_hool wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 3:48 pm
I paid $300 USD for the vintage turtle and I think I got a great deal for the condition it is in. Beware of Feikos and Franken Seikos on eBay from the Philippines. I have both the vintage 6309 and the re-issue PADI turtle. While I love both, there's something more satisfying about the vintage one. It's getting plenty of wrist time!
I want to buy a vintage one (in original condition) but hunting one down from a credible source feels like a bit of turn-off for me.

It's funny that you mentioned the Philippines because I was just there a month ago, lol.

They have so many shops that sell SEIKO watches there, it's ridiculous, and a lot of them look they've been open since the 70's. Of course, they won't be carrying some higher-end pieces that a SEIKO enthusiast would look for but I managed to get a cheap SEIKO Quartz for $50 just for the heck of it, lol. My family has been wearing SEIKO for a long time and my father swears by the SEIKO 5 watch that my grandfather (who recently passed away in the last year) handed down to him to this day.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4193 posts
366 upvotes
Markham
mr_raider wrote: For Seikos and Orient you will quickly learn that the best models are NOT sold in North America. Look to online sites. Long Island watch and Seiya are good for Seikos. For Orient you can look at serious watches.

Do people think Orient is a tier 2 brand compared to Seiko?
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16174 posts
1747 upvotes
Montreal
smartie wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 10:21 am
Do people think Orient is a tier 2 brand compared to Seiko?
Orient goes lower and cheaper than Seiko, and not as high end as Seiko. I.e. Orient Star and Royal orient do NOT compare to Grand Seiko. That being said, there are watches in Orient's line that are better than watches in Seiko's line. With the Japanese, unlike the Swiss, I find you get what you pay for. A 1000$ Orient or Seiko will be better than a 300$ watch from the same brand.

Here are some gorgeous Japan only Orients:

Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4860 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know of a cheap and reputable watch repair store in Toronto? Every time I charge my SKX007 by shaking it, I can feel the rotor spinning off. It feels and I can hear that it's spinning much more easily than I remember. I feel like the rotor screw needs to be tightened but I'm hoping to find a cheap store considering I only bought the watch for around $150.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2006
8096 posts
2235 upvotes
Richmond Hill
icemasta wrote:
Mar 4th, 2017 10:49 am
Anyone know of a cheap and reputable watch repair store in Toronto? Every time I charge my SKX007 by shaking it, I can feel the rotor spinning off. It feels and I can hear that it's spinning much more easily than I remember. I feel like the rotor screw needs to be tightened but I'm hoping to find a cheap store considering I only bought the watch for around $150.
Sounds normal. I can hear the rotor spinning in my 007.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16174 posts
1747 upvotes
Montreal
icemasta wrote:
Mar 4th, 2017 10:49 am
Download the watch check app for Android, and track your watch in several positions for a week. If you are withib +/-20secs a day, I wouldn't worry.

A nice read:

http://www.thepurists.com/watch/features/8ohms/7s26/

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

steveoheh, dngo12