Fashion & Apparel

watch lovers....what's your favorite watch?

Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2006
7141 posts
1272 upvotes
Richmond Hill
blindemboss wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 5:28 pm
Personally I like older vintage TAGs. I know Heuer get a bad reputation for being mediocre quality and high prices.
If I ever hit the 649 lottery ticket, I'll pick up one of these.

https://www.calibre11.com/tag-heuer-monza-re-edition/
Don't want to come off as a snob, but why would you need to win the lottery to be able to attain one of these. They are affordable and cheap compared to buying a preowned omega speed master.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1100 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote:
Mar 11th, 2017 1:16 pm
Don't want to come off as a snob, but why would you need to win the lottery to be able to attain one of these. They are affordable and cheap compared to buying a preowned omega speed master.
You know how they say that many RDF's are weathly?...well, I'm not one of those. :)

A used Tag Monza in mint condition will still set you back around $3K. So comparative to an Omega, yeah, it's much cheaper.
But, I'm just starting out with a watch collection and have been looking in the $300-$500 range.
Apr 28, 2008
217 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
blindemboss wrote:
Mar 11th, 2017 1:29 pm
You know how they say that many RDF's are weathly?...well, I'm not one of those. :)

A used Tag Monza in mint condition will still set you back around $3K. So comparative to an Omega, yeah, it's much cheaper.
But, I'm just starting out with a watch collection and have been looking in the $300-$500 range.

I don't think you understand what the word wealthy is haha, you're thinking about rich.

I bought my first watch a submariner 16610 almost half a year ago. My most expensive purchase previous to this was a set of Logitech speakers for my computer (z 2300) and/or a second hand Parajumpers kodiak jacket off Kijiji. When I think about buying something I think how long can that last and is it worthwhile. I can justify that I'll use this watch daily, appreciate it, and hopefully I can pass it down when I have kids.

If you're willing to spend 500 bucks, why not save a bit more and get something that retains it's value (or even appreciates) through the years? I pitched in for my little sisters stupid 300-400 dollar Michael Kors bullshit watch and I'd bet if not already in a few years she'll forget about it. Everyone has their own taste but my buddy gave me the same advice and it made sense to me, buy a decent second hand watch... after a few years if you don't like you can sell it back with minimal losses.

Also my everest band literally came in the mail today at 5:35PM
http://puu.sh/uKGfh/6316ec3859.jpg
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1100 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
OnFiYa wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 7:51 pm
I don't think you understand what the word wealthy is haha, you're thinking about rich.

I bought my first watch a submariner 16610 almost half a year ago. My most expensive purchase previous to this was a set of Logitech speakers for my computer (z 2300) and/or a second hand Parajumpers kodiak jacket off Kijiji. When I think about buying something I think how long can that last and is it worthwhile. I can justify that I'll use this watch daily, appreciate it, and hopefully I can pass it down when I have kids.

If you're willing to spend 500 bucks, why not save a bit more and get something that retains it's value (or even appreciates) through the years? I pitched in for my little sisters stupid 300-400 dollar Michael Kors bullshit watch and I'd bet if not already in a few years she'll forget about it. Everyone has their own taste but my buddy gave me the same advice and it made sense to me, buy a decent second hand watch... after a few years if you don't like you can sell it back with minimal losses.

Also my everest band literally came in the mail today at 5:35PM
http://puu.sh/uKGfh/6316ec3859.jpg
I hear what you're saying but everyone places a different value on different items. You may spend $5000 on a watch where I'll chose to take the $4500 difference and put it towards renovating my home.

To me, a good watch (or any product) comes from the quality and craftsmanship. There are very well made Seikos which are arguably competitive with Swiss watches costing many times more. Or Hamilton's if you must have Swiss movement. To me it's not worth the 10x price premium. I just don't value any watch, to spend that much. For those, who do, that's great too.

I suggested this in another thread about men's suits...don't worry so much about the brand name. Just make sure it's made of good fabric, a good fit and that you like it. Too much emphasis is put on brand names, and what others think. :)
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2719 posts
562 upvotes
Interesting...I wonder what they'll do. But it has to be REALLY special for me to pay anything close to retail for a Speedy Pro.

Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7414 posts
735 upvotes
Toronto
MikeMC12 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 8:43 am
Interesting...I wonder what they'll do. But it has to be REALLY special for me to pay anything close to retail for a Speedy Pro.
Omega must've made a killing on the Speedy Tuesday. Omega selling the watch direct to the customer for full 100% MSRP while altogether cutting out the AD in the middle.

They are currently pumping out too many special edition speedmasters.
Last edited by appleb on Mar 21st, 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2006
7141 posts
1272 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Really don't like all the "special" editions that omega puts out all the time. Waters down their line up and with poor resale values compared to Rolex I don't know why people are willing to pay msrp.
Apr 5, 2016
937 posts
415 upvotes
Yeah I got the same email too. I'm glad I didn't get the Speedy, as I wouldn't have gotten my SubC if I did and I feel it's a better watch. Maybe a DSOTM if going for Omega.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2719 posts
562 upvotes
The good thing about the Speedy Tuesday was that it was a deposit free reservation. Basically you could 1) wait and see if there's enough hype like the Snoopy Speedy before buying it to flip, or 2) buy it and sell for it for a slight profit.

I personally don't think it's worth twice the price of a normal Speedy Pro, but it's not a bad idea to get on the initial list for one.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2719 posts
562 upvotes
bomber17 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 4:56 pm
Yeah I got the same email too. I'm glad I didn't get the Speedy, as I wouldn't have gotten my SubC if I did and I feel it's a better watch. Maybe a DSOTM if going for Omega.
How are you liking is so far? 114060 if I recall correctly?

The DSOTM is nice, but too expensive IMO, and shattered ceramic case would always be on the back of my mind while wearing it. At $12k USD retail I'd rather be waiting for a DaytonaC.

The regular Speedy Pro that you could get BNIB for $3k though, is quite the steal.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
14085 posts
1414 upvotes
Montreal
EP32k2 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 1:00 pm
Really don't like all the "special" editions that omega puts out all the time. Waters down their line up and with poor resale values compared to Rolex I don't know why people are willing to pay msrp.
IWC is worse. Stuff a Sellita movement in last year's Mark whatever and jack up the price, name after some lame children's book and call it special.
Apr 5, 2016
937 posts
415 upvotes
MikeMC12 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 8:55 pm
How are you liking is so far? 114060 if I recall correctly?

The DSOTM is nice, but too expensive IMO, and shattered ceramic case would always be on the back of my mind while wearing it. At $12k USD retail I'd rather be waiting for a DaytonaC.

The regular Speedy Pro that you could get BNIB for $3k though, is quite the steal.
116610 actually, SubC Date. I quite like it, good balance of subtle and prestige. Next watch be a used Patek Philippe or DaytonaC.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel