Fashion & Apparel

watch lovers....what's your favorite watch?

Jan 9, 2011
801 posts
388 upvotes
Vancouver
I and many of my friends had the Casio Twin Graph AE-20W when we were in junior high school 30 years ago. We purchased at Consumers Distributing for about $50. We loved them. They seem to have become collectors items, used ones sell on eBay for $150.

Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1610 posts
156 upvotes
supertronic wrote:
Apr 4th, 2017 11:07 pm
G-Shock Gulfmaster GA-1000B, I have it for 8 years. Better than most overpriced Swiss watches. I have been fan of Casio quality since childhood when uncle gave me his as gift and since 1994 only owned Casio G Shocks.
8yrs? gulfmaster? i thought they came out these two years or so. lol.
Wedding & Child Photographer ~ happily photographing
My Flickr
Jul 26, 2008
180 posts
103 upvotes
Montreal
Speaking of the Gulfmaster .... it just so happens that the new Gulfmaster Q1000 v2 has I high failure rate, so buy from a AD. Nothing but bad stuff here http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/proble ... 082-2.html

I purchased a GWN-1000E v1 last summer from a non AD dealer (watchzon.com). No issues with the watch thank god, but the treatment Casio is giving on non AD purchases is terrible, No AD = No warranty, even when the issue is a know production flaw. makes me seriously doubt an other high end casio purchase, that is before waiting 6 months to see what type of issues watchuseek members are reporting.
Dec 17, 2014
270 posts
58 upvotes
Eastern Canada
I can't lie, that limited edition is grossly overpriced for what it is/whats in it. Myota 8215, mineral crystal, coated stainless case (instead of bronze), 100m WR.

For less money you can have a Squale 20 Atmos or Steinhart OVM with the ETA 2824. You might even be able to get into a bronze watch with a Miyota 9015 for that money.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
1390 posts
313 upvotes
New Tecumseth, ON
ImageDaily wear for 2 and a half years now.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1249 posts
230 upvotes
Toronto
lg777 wrote:
Mar 31st, 2017 8:46 am
I just got my SKX007 from Creationwatches and they seem pretty good but just shopping around for my SRP777K1.
Just curious if the SKX007 you purchased was the Japan made version.
If so, does it say 'made in Japan' on the face? Thanks. I've been looking to pick up this 'classic'.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1185 posts
307 upvotes
My 10-year-old $80 imperfect Swiss Military feels so out of place here. It has mineral crystal, which is misspelled as "MINIERAL CRYSTAL" on the back lol. Oh well, at least it's all stainless, unlike my previous watch where all the finish wore off from the base metal.

Can't find any info on it, but it sort of looks like this, except it doesn't have the numbers around the outside. Also, it has all the odd hour numbers on the inside, rather than the dash lines. Also mine has day of the week as well.
http://swissmilitary.ca/search/details.php?id=82
Jan 5, 2003
604 posts
41 upvotes
My new guilty pleasure - a Tisell "Marine Diver":
File 2017-04-28, 5 53 03 PM.jpeg
Here's some quick impressions:

Nicely made watch for the money. Looks more expensive than it is and with a ceramic insert, sapphire glass, decent movement and a functioning (albeit, barely) copy of the Glidelock it's a nice watch for those who don't mind the sub styling. The sapphire has AR which immediately made me realize how much I'd love to have that on my Sub. The caseback is lower than the Sub so the Marine Diver hugs the wrist much better which makes it a more comfortable watch.

Now the bad - the SEL's are slightly narrow and there's a tiny gap allowing them to shift from side to side. The SEL geometry is not quite as elegant as the Rolex's Sub and the bracelet line doesn't flow just as gracefully. The "glidelock" deserves a C-, it works but lacks any precision and the clasp itself takes a superhuman effort to open on my watch. The bracelet rattles, the Miyota 9015 rotor grinds like an old neglected ball bearing (probably needs a bit of lube). The bezel markings are just white paint so the question remains of how well they will age. The pearl on my sample is slightly off to one side, not by much but once you see it you can't unsee it. The downward pointing triangle is just a hair off the 12 o'clock mark. Accuracy-wise, I haven't been as lucky as many others who reported +- 2-3 seconds a day, mine looses 10 seconds over 24 hours, I haven't tried leaving it different positions to correct it yet. One more thing I detest (but it's not Tisell's fault and doesn't apply to my watch) is the stock Miyota date font, it's simply atrocious, so I opted for the no date watch.

One more thing that may drive an OCD person mad - the round and the rectangular markers on the differ from each other. The round ones have angled borders while the rectangular ones are flat, so they reflect light differently at different angles. Because of the AR coating on the crystal, the dial is more clearly visible than on the Sub, so the difference is pretty stark and stands out quite a bit. The other inconsistency is that the round markers have more lume (it's applied with a little "heap") while the rectangular ones have it applied flat and there's less of it. Not a dramatic difference but right after a quick flashlight blast the round markers are visibly brighter (the difference fades away after some time). Not huge cons, these, especially considering the price, but the watch would have been even better had all the markers been finished in the same style. But even having said that, the lume is glorious! I like to wear a watch to bed and so far this watch is just as good as my Sub in this department, it glows like a beast and lasts as long as the Rolex.

Overall - it's a functional and visually appealing watch (again, if you don't mind the Sub styling), great beater for summer and nice enough looking to wear to work. I'll most likely grab the blue variant as well.
Nov 21, 2001
643 posts
40 upvotes
Markham
Igor01 wrote:
May 5th, 2017 11:06 am
One more thing that may drive an OCD person mad - the round and the rectangular markers on the differ from each other. The round ones have angled borders while the rectangular ones are flat, so they reflect light differently at different angles. Because of the AR coating on the crystal, the dial is more clearly visible than on the Sub, so the difference is pretty stark and stands out quite a bit. The other inconsistency is that the round markers have more lume (it's applied with a little "heap") while the rectangular ones have it applied flat and there's less of it. Not a dramatic difference but right after a quick flashlight blast the round markers are visibly brighter (the difference fades away after some time). Not huge cons, these, especially considering the price, but the watch would have been even better had all the markers been finished in the same style. But even having said that, the lume is glorious! I like to wear a watch to bed and so far this watch is just as good as my Sub in this department, it glows like a beast and lasts as long as the Rolex.

Overall - it's a functional and visually appealing watch (again, if you don't mind the Sub styling), great beater for summer and nice enough looking to wear to work. I'll most likely grab the blue variant as well.
You could always replace the dial or have it relumed!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

papermate2