Fashion & Apparel

watch lovers....what's your favorite watch?

Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4860 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto
The X is the Prospex logo. The logo is a new addition but nothing changed in regards to the watch.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
4571 posts
122 upvotes
London
Bought a Casio A168W...I like the camp/trollish factor and the fact that many people relate to this watch. It's a bit of a conversation starter -- "hey I remember this watch...!"
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1185 posts
307 upvotes
felixdd wrote:
May 16th, 2017 12:16 am
Bought a Casio A168W...I like the camp/trollish factor and the fact that many people relate to this watch. It's a bit of a conversation starter -- "hey I remember this watch...!"
I didn't realize these were still being made. I also remember the "craze" over the calculator watches, never got one but I do remember seeing some people with them, and how they would use a pen to press the buttons, lol.

The A168 looks good, I see they also have a similar one, the A158WA-1, I think the face is a bit more low key, thinking of getting one. Looks like Amazon.ca has it for a bit over $20. I can combine with something else to get "free" shipping. I see Walmart has some of the Casios, but they are different ones and are closer to $30. Anywhere else to get these?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7546 posts
893 upvotes
Toronto
notfromqc wrote:
May 19th, 2017 11:04 am
I didn't realize these were still being made. I also remember the "craze" over the calculator watches, never got one but I do remember seeing some people with them, and how they would use a pen to press the buttons, lol.

The A168 looks good, I see they also have a similar one, the A158WA-1, I think the face is a bit more low key, thinking of getting one. Looks like Amazon.ca has it for a bit over $20. I can combine with something else to get "free" shipping. I see Walmart has some of the Casios, but they are different ones and are closer to $30. Anywhere else to get these?
I find amazon.ca always has the best prices for the cheap digital casios.

I've purchased many of my Casios at Sears, of all places. Sears always have sales like 30% off, and many of the physical stores actually have a decent selection.

I'm shooting for the classic F91 in the near future. The plastic F91 has a particular charm over the metal A158/A168 models. I'm just waiting to use it as a filler item for amazon shipping.

Here's a cool little trick to check if your casio is genuine... if you hold the bottom right button for about 3 seconds, it will display 'CASIo'. This works on most models.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1185 posts
307 upvotes
appleb wrote:
May 19th, 2017 11:38 pm
I find amazon.ca always has the best prices for the cheap digital casios.

I've purchased many of my Casios at Sears, of all places. Sears always have sales like 30% off, and many of the physical stores actually have a decent selection.

I'm shooting for the classic F91 in the near future. The plastic F91 has a particular charm over the metal A158/A168 models. I'm just waiting to use it as a filler item for amazon shipping.

Here's a cool little trick to check if your casio is genuine... if you hold the bottom right button for about 3 seconds, it will display 'CASIo'. This works on most models.
Thanks for the tip for checking genuine. I wonder though, with how good knock-off manufacturers are at making fake iPhones/S7 etc, this feature might not be hard to replicate. But then again, the price point is so low, I wonder if they'd bother trying to make knock-offs. I don't remember if the originals were made in Japan. Probably? But now for sure the new ones are made in China.

You're right, the F91 seems to have the right look. In my case I'll stick with a metal band, the plastic bands I had on watches during my youth seemed to absorb skin oil and become brittle. I remember losing one watch when riding my bicycle around town, didn't realize it until I got home lol.
Apr 28, 2008
234 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Soul_Rebel wrote:
May 11th, 2017 3:00 pm
My BLNR with Everest strap.

Make sure you tighten the screw on the Tang Buckle!

I was lucky when mines came out I was at home and not on the street, go to a dollarstore and find a 1.6MM precision screwdriver and make sure that is screwed in.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6619 posts
919 upvotes
He make look funny, wearing THAT Rolex in the Dollarstore... Anyway, love your most RFDer reply, ever. ;)
OnFiYa wrote:
May 21st, 2017 7:52 pm
Make sure you tighten the screw on the Tang Buckle!

I was lucky when mines came out I was at home and not on the street, go to a dollarstore and find a 1.6MM precision screwdriver and make sure that is screwed in.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Sep 4, 2016
680 posts
327 upvotes
While the Marc Newson Hourglass is certainly not wrist-mounted, I thought those that enjoy fine watches might also be able to appreciate this high-tech, yet old-school timepiece.

Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7546 posts
893 upvotes
Toronto
invite wrote:
May 25th, 2017 2:30 am
While the Marc Newson Hourglass is certainly not wrist-mounted, I thought those that enjoy fine watches might also be able to appreciate this high-tech, yet old-school timepiece.

It's a $12,000 hourglass. Reddit is totally ripping this up.
Apr 28, 2008
234 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
hdom wrote:
May 24th, 2017 9:05 pm
He make look funny, wearing THAT Rolex in the Dollarstore... Anyway, love your most RFDer reply, ever. ;)

My grandma wanted a coffee and I didn't want that much so I ordered a medium and asked the lady if she could split it in two cups. She told me to order a large instead so it would be easier to split. She gave me essentially two small double double coffees for the price of a large. My friend said, you did this wearing a 7K watch?

"YUP". Gotta save dat money. People on other watch forums talk about getting a springbar tool so they can swap their bracelets out at like $30 a piece, I bought mines straight off Aliexpress for $1, I'm not reckless with my money
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10247 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
mebiuspower wrote:
May 25th, 2017 9:48 am
Tempted to pick this up while I'm in Germany...

I think the first one is the Midnight Edition in collaboration with Timeless Luxury Watches in the U.S. I believe they don't sell that model in Germany and Nomos doesn't sell it directly either. You have to order from Timeless. In any case, the Orion is a great watch. I have the regular 38mm one and I highly recommend it.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4293 posts
493 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
May 25th, 2017 10:43 pm
I think the first one is the Midnight Edition in collaboration with Timeless Luxury Watches in the U.S. I believe they don't sell that model in Germany and Nomos doesn't sell it directly either. You have to order from Timeless. In any case, the Orion is a great watch. I have the regular 38mm one and I highly recommend it.
No it's the Orion Anthrazit. I prefer 35mm over the 38.