Fashion & Apparel

watch lovers....what's your favorite watch?

Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2009
2171 posts
233 upvotes
TO
billford wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 10:11 am
I have a Omega speedmaster professional moon watch, bought it sometime in the early '80's. Think I paid around 2 or $300 new. Do not have the original box or receipt anymore

I see the new ones retail in the $5000 range? Seems to be grossly overpriced, but I don't know. Never wear it anymore. My new casio g shock actually keeps better time.

When selling old watches, do buyers usually remove the back covers to inspect it? Or maybe I should keep it?
I'll buy it for $1000
Oct 16, 2011
93 posts
38 upvotes
ST THOMAS
billford wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 10:11 am
I have a Omega speedmaster professional moon watch, bought it sometime in the early '80's. Think I paid around 2 or $300 new. Do not have the original box or receipt anymore

I see the new ones retail in the $5000 range? Seems to be grossly overpriced, but I don't know. Never wear it anymore. My new casio g shock actually keeps better time.

When selling old watches, do buyers usually remove the back covers to inspect it? Or maybe I should keep it?
If you are considering selling it, don't accept the first lowball offer that comes along - that's someone trying to scam you out of a nice watch for cheap...by offering you $1000 for it...

With vintage Speedmasters, there are a lot of things that will affect the value. If the original tritium hands and dial are still present and have a nice patina, then it will be worth more. Certainly earlier versions are more valuable, but a nice condition 80's watch with nice patina could easily be a $3k watch to the right buyer.

Although this site doesn't cover watches as late as the 80's, it will give you an overview of the kinds of things that people who collect these look for:

http://speedmaster101.com/

Cheers, Al
Feb 6, 2011
966 posts
529 upvotes
ArcherWatches wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 8:10 am
If you are considering selling it, don't accept the first lowball offer that comes along - that's someone trying to scam you out of a nice watch for cheap...by offering you $1000 for it...

With vintage Speedmasters, there are a lot of things that will affect the value. If the original tritium hands and dial are still present and have a nice patina, then it will be worth more. Certainly earlier versions are more valuable, but a nice condition 80's watch with nice patina could easily be a $3k watch to the right buyer.

Although this site doesn't cover watches as late as the 80's, it will give you an overview of the kinds of things that people who collect these look for:

http://speedmaster101.com/

Cheers, Al
Didn't know these were so popular.
Already had it for at least 3 decades, maybe I'll start wearing it again.

Question: Why would you say if it had the original hands? Why would they need replacement? Do they tend to crack?
Also, its never been serviced. What is involved? Disassembly, cleaned and lubed? Anybody to trust in the Vancouver area that you know of?

Also have an old 50 year old Bulova Accutron, still worked and was very accurate before I stored it, about 15 years ago. Is there any servicing needed beside battery replacement?
omega.png

Thanks.
Oct 16, 2011
93 posts
38 upvotes
ST THOMAS
billford wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 1:22 am

Question: Why would you say if it had the original hands? Why would they need replacement? Do they tend to crack?
Also, its never been serviced. What is involved? Disassembly, cleaned and lubed? Anybody to trust in the Vancouver area that you know of?

Also have an old 50 year old Bulova Accutron, still worked and was very accurate before I stored it, about 15 years ago. Is there any servicing needed beside battery replacement?

omega.png

Thanks.
The luminous material on the hands and dial is tritium based, and over time it degrades and doesn't glow as well as it did originally. When the watches are sent to Omega for service, their goal is to make them look like you just bought it yesterday - some people like this very much, but for vintage collectors it ruins the value of the watch. Part of making it look and work like new again sometimes involves replacing the dial and hands with new versions that use luminova for the luminous material.

If yours has never been serviced, even though that's usually not good for the movement, it's good for maintaining the patina. Your watch appears to have period correct hands and dial. The lume in the hands appears to be turning more brownish, where the dial lume has gone the mint green that is sometimes seen on some dials. Although not the most coveted colour, it's still better than having a new dial for the vintage collectors.

Just to show you what I mean, here is my 1971 Speedmaster - the lume in the hands and on the dial was once white, but has aged to a nicer colour...

If I were to change the dial and hands, it would kill the value of this watch.

A proper service would involve complete disassembly of the watch, cleaning, checking for worn parts, repair or replace those parts as needed, assembly, lubrication, and timing of the movement. you can also look at getting crystal, crown, pushers replaced as needed for water resistance. Your watch is on good shape case wise, so I would not recommend refinishing of any kind (another thing that can kill the value of a vintage watch). I don't know the work of anyone in Vancouver personally. Your watch is worth far more than $1000, so note who the lowballers are and avoid them if you plan to sell.

The Accutron will also need servicing, but that is one you don't want to send to just anyone. Requires some specialized equipment to service those and personally I don't work on tuning fork watches as I have too many others to service already.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2009
2171 posts
233 upvotes
TO
I was making a joke, Al and OP. If you would like to sell, you will have a strong market for it!
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2602 posts
270 upvotes
Thinking of picking up a Seiko Presage (SPB049J1) while I'm in Europe soon so that I can claim the VAT back.

Any idea what the discount could be in Toronto? I'm trying to figure out whether I should get it discounted in Toronto or should I get it in Europe.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16454 posts
1764 upvotes
Montreal
Broke down again Face With Tears Of Joy
IMG_20171017_180044.jpg
Muhle Terrasport ii. It's as close to Glashutte I'll ever get.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7597 posts
944 upvotes
Toronto
poorwingman wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 5:35 pm
Thinking of picking up a Seiko Presage (SPB049J1) while I'm in Europe soon so that I can claim the VAT back.

Any idea what the discount could be in Toronto? I'm trying to figure out whether I should get it discounted in Toronto or should I get it in Europe.
For Seiko I would aim for around 30% off msrp. Nobody pays retail for a Seiko, unless it's a limited edition.

The biggest obstacle is actually finding a local store that would even carry the SPB049. I see Maple Jewelers carries the SBP045 and SBP047, so they should be able to order in an SPB049 too. There are very few watch stores that carry Seiko's in the >$1000 range.

Canadian MSRP for Seiko's are jacked up pretty high. You're probably still better off buying overseas.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16454 posts
1764 upvotes
Montreal
For a Seiko, buying it from Japan, paying GST and shipping and duties, is still cheaper.

Look at Seiya Japan or the other site that I can't remember the name.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7597 posts
944 upvotes
Toronto
For buying Seiko's online (in particular JDM's), I would check prices on these sites:

chino watch
seiya
shoppinginjapan
higuchi

I've purchased many watches from Chino with no issues. Seiya is highly recommended but in almost all cases, I still find chino watch a few bucks cheaper.

And be sure to avoid UPS unless you want huge brokerage charges.
Nov 4, 2003
559 posts
43 upvotes
billford wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 1:22 am

omega.png

Thanks.
Get the Speedmaster serviced and then start wearing it! Although I don't wear mine enough my Seamaster is my daily.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3916 posts
216 upvotes
Blue7thGen wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 3:30 pm
Get the Speedmaster serviced and then start wearing it! Although I don't wear mine enough my Seamaster is my daily.
+1. All automatic watches keep worse time than battery operated watches but that's not the point. Personally, i'd service it and toss it back into the rotation.

If you are selling it, it's unfortunate that you don't have the box and papers because vintage watch values are especially affected by the presence of those. I'm not sure of watchmakers in Vancouver but you could get Al to service it if he's still taking new clients. His work is highly regarded across the watch forums and he can preserve the original parts to the extent possible which is key with vintage timepieces.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16454 posts
1764 upvotes
Montreal
appleb wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 2:34 pm
For buying Seiko's online (in particular JDM's), I would check prices on these sites:

chino watch
seiya
shoppinginjapan
higuchi

I've purchased many watches from Chino with no issues. Seiya is highly recommended but in almost all cases, I still find chino watch a few bucks cheaper.

And be sure to avoid UPS unless you want huge brokerage charges.
Chino that's it. Select japan post. CP will.charge you 10 bux brokerage.
Nov 26, 2016
62 posts
3 upvotes
http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... lsrc=aw.ds

http://www.movado.ca/en/shop-watches/se ... series-800

Is Movado and Taq HEuer the same type of quality? Both are swiss made. I know Tag has a more reputable name behind the watch community...but in terms of quality of the materials are both on par with eachother? Both brands carry watches from 1200-5k, with taq heuer carrying more expensive ones.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)