Fashion & Apparel

watch lovers....what's your favorite watch?

Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7634 posts
980 upvotes
Toronto
Kwando wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 4:38 pm
Has anyone purchased a watch on Amazon before? I'm looking for a Seiko Chronograph watch and Amazon has many for sub-$200. Meanwhile at The Bay has similar styles for over $400 (but at least they're on sale).

Seiko ($171 Canadian)
https://www.amazon.ca/Seiko-Chronograph ... hronograph

Compared to

Seiko (On sale for $318 Canadian)
http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... ssb203--24
I purchase most of my Seiko's online from asian vendors. Usually from chino-watch, Seiya Japan, shoppinginjapan, or watchspree.

Canadian MSRP prices for Seiko's are simply set too high. Even after getting an obligatory 30% off, you're still paying a lot more than purchasing from overseas.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
2379 posts
591 upvotes
Toronto
So I went to visit my parents and came across a watch I left behind when I moved out,
Anybody ever hear of/seen,
http://www.wowi-intl.com/ENG/main.htm
???
This was my first supposedly "good" watch, that was a gift from my uncle/cousins back in late 90's or around 2000. I knew it was "good" because it had a screw-down crown Winking Face (and that's what my uncle told me at the time).
It was purchased from some type of trade show.

okay, it's obviously in a totally different class of watches (i.e. cheap) than what is mostly discussed here in this thread. But for a Uni student, a ~$100 watch is "good". and I'd thought I'd share anyway...

My uncle had the mechanical in black,
http://www.wowi-intl.com/ENG/watches/page2131ASDG.htm

and I ended up getting the quartz,
http://www.wowi-intl.com/ENG/watches/page2131SDG.htm
with the blue dial.

It was my daily for a few years. thus, it was my favorite.

edit:
Apparently they sponsored the Sydney 2000 Chinese Olympic team,
http://www.wowi-intl.com/ENG/news/news_olympicwatch.htm

also from the website,
"Have your watch checked regularly (once a year) exclusively by an authorized WOWI® dealers."
can anyone help me out with this one???
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6843 posts
1001 upvotes
Fightguard wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 11:08 pm
So I went to visit my parents and came across a watch I left behind when I moved out,
Anybody ever hear of/seen???
"Have your watch checked regularly (once a year) exclusively by an authorized WOWI® dealers."[/i]
can anyone help me out with this one???
Sorry to say but it looks like just one of the many hundreds if not thousands of generic Chinese made watch brand out there. They probably aren't even doing that well since the site hasn't been updated since 2008... If I have to guess, I would say they probably have next to no collecting value on the market at all. I say that since similar spec new watches go for ~$30 CAD shipped on Aliexpress.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Aug 15, 2015
178 posts
30 upvotes
Markham, ON
My favourite watch had brown leather straps and was not digital. On the outside of the watch it had bugs bunny back sitting on a director chair. It actually covered part of the watch so you cannot see the time pointers at the lower left corner.

I threw it out when it stopped working. Sorta wish I kept it because it was my favourite. Now I wear no watch.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
2379 posts
591 upvotes
Toronto
hdom wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 2:30 am
Sorry to say but it looks like just one of the many hundreds if not thousands of generic Chinese made watch brand out there. They probably aren't even doing that well since the site hasn't been updated since 2008... If I have to guess, I would say they probably have next to no collecting value on the market at all. I say that since similar spec new watches go for ~$30 CAD shipped on Aliexpress.
thanks. I already figured this was the case. I was bring a bit sarcastic in asking about "authorized dealers", guessing that zero exist...I was more curious if anyone else actually owned or seen them before.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
4052 posts
504 upvotes
Thornhill
Never understood people spending a ton of money on watches that just look no different than a $10 watch. If I am spending money on a watch, I always make sure it's a beautiful watch that is not easily imitated. Tissot Chemin Des Tourelles is one of those.
Every time I see a guy with a rolex, I automatically assume it's a fake because they look very simple and I can buy those easily for under $50...
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
2379 posts
591 upvotes
Toronto
dazz wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 11:25 am
Never understood people spending a ton of money on watches...
luxury item they can afford, hobby or collector, status symbol, quality and craftsmanship, personal preferences, tastes, and individual values they attach to such items....you may have a differing points of view but its not hard to understand.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2009
1461 posts
589 upvotes
dazz wrote:
Never understood people spending a ton of money on watches that just look no different than a $10 watch. If I am spending money on a watch, I always make sure it's a beautiful watch that is not easily imitated. Tissot Chemin Des Tourelles is one of those.
Every time I see a guy with a rolex, I automatically assume it's a fake because they look very simple and I can buy those easily for under $50...
Is it really?

Plenty of similar looking skeleton watches you can obtain for $20-$200.
Seems to me like you're contradicting yourself but what do I know
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6843 posts
1001 upvotes
While researching about the brand, I found a thread on WatchSeek, which is one of the biggest watch related forum online and the guy was basically asking about the same question and there was no reply since 2016... May want to get in touch with him there then - http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/anyone ... 71682.html
Fightguard wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 7:28 am
thanks. I already figured this was the case. I was bring a bit sarcastic in asking about "authorized dealers", guessing that zero exist...I was more curious if anyone else actually owned or seen them before.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2011
1434 posts
427 upvotes
VANCOUVER
dazz wrote:
There are people out there that buy a watch not caring what others think. If you are buying a watch to flash around, then it's one of the top bad reasons. 99% of the people you run into do not care what you wear unless it's an enthusiast. You get more comments wearing a bling bling fashion watch versus say a Grand Seiko for example.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
19091 posts
837 upvotes
dazz wrote:
So basically you want something flashy on your wrist. Well, to each their own. But to say that your Tissot is better than a ROlex...LOL
Enthusiasts buy watches for more than looks sometimes. It's what's inside that counts. Just ask anyone who own a Patek or a JLC. Only an enthusiast would recognize those out in public.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4349 posts
523 upvotes
Every few weeks there's always some idiot talking about their $10 timex.... just like clockwork.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16727 posts
1795 upvotes
Montreal
appleb wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 10:07 pm
I purchase most of my Seiko's online from asian vendors. Usually from chino-watch, Seiya Japan, shoppinginjapan, or watchspree.

Canadian MSRP prices for Seiko's are simply set too high. Even after getting an obligatory 30% off, you're still paying a lot more than purchasing from overseas.
Island watch also has a decent selection.
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8313 posts
2458 upvotes
Richmond Hill
DDHLeigh wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 9:18 pm
There are people out there that buy a watch not caring what others think. If you are buying a watch to flash around, then it's one of the top bad reasons. 99% of the people you run into do not care what you wear unless it's an enthusiast. You get more comments wearing a bling bling fashion watch versus say a Grand Seiko for example.
Truer words have never been spoken lol. My old coworker came to work one day with a "gold" Michael Kors looking Daytona and she got tons of compliments. Meanwhile nobody has ever bat an eye with my Rolexs' and I'm totally fine with that.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

steve-0101