Fashion & Apparel

watch lovers....what's your favorite watch?

Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
19091 posts
837 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 10:23 pm
Truer words have never been spoken lol. My old coworker came to work one day with a "gold" Michael Kors looking Daytona and she got tons of compliments. Meanwhile nobody has ever bat an eye with my Rolexs' and I'm totally fine with that.
I kinda like not getting too much attention and knowing that I know what I have on my wrist and just the other conossieurs out in public will too. Sometimes too much attention isn't a good thing. Honeslty, I got more compliments on my 2tone blue invicta than I ever did on my Rolex GMT-Master :lol:
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8313 posts
2458 upvotes
Richmond Hill
najibs wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 3:10 am
I kinda like not getting too much attention and knowing that I know what I have on my wrist and just the other conossieurs out in public will too. Sometimes too much attention isn't a good thing. Honeslty, I got more compliments on my 2tone blue invicta than I ever did on my Rolex GMT-Master :lol:
Invicta sells like crazy on cruise ships, especially with the whopping 70% off lol
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2007
2563 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
appleb wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 10:07 pm
I purchase most of my Seiko's online from asian vendors. Usually from chino-watch, Seiya Japan, shoppinginjapan, or watchspree.

Canadian MSRP prices for Seiko's are simply set too high. Even after getting an obligatory 30% off, you're still paying a lot more than purchasing from overseas.
did you get hit by taxes/duties?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7634 posts
980 upvotes
Toronto
willyxjai wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 3:26 pm
did you get hit by taxes/duties?
Yes, almost always because my luck is terrible.

Here's what I paid for duty on a SARB033:
Declared value $430
Duty Rate: 5.00 (percent)
Duty Amount: 21.50 (declared value * duty rate)
GST/HST 58.70 (declared value + duty amount) * 13%
Handling Cost 9.95 (fixed amount)
Total: $90.15

Avoid Fedex and UPS, as they will charge excessively huge brokerage fees. Japan Post or EMS are the best options from Japan.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1771 posts
408 upvotes
Unionville, ON
EP32k2 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 10:31 am
Invicta sells like crazy on cruise ships, especially with the whopping 70% off lol
Oh man is this ever true... just came back from a cruise and the Invicta section had a huge crowd and lineups. Meanwhile, the boutique where Omegas and Rolex were sold barely had anyone in there.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2011
1434 posts
427 upvotes
VANCOUVER
JKKim2983 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 1:52 am
Oh man is this ever true... just came back from a cruise and the Invicta section had a huge crowd and lineups. Meanwhile, the boutique where Omegas and Rolex were sold barely had anyone in there.
Same with me, was on a Carnival cruise and they had a "watch" special on the itinerary for Invictas. The Rolex on the ship were pre-owned and the only had Datejust.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16727 posts
1795 upvotes
Montreal
appleb wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 9:30 pm
Yes, almost always because my luck is terrible.

Here's what I paid for duty on a SARB033:
Declared value $430
Duty Rate: 5.00 (percent)
Duty Amount: 21.50 (declared value * duty rate)
GST/HST 58.70 (declared value + duty amount) * 13%
Handling Cost 9.95 (fixed amount)
Total: $90.15

Avoid Fedex and UPS, as they will charge excessively huge brokerage fees. Japan Post or EMS are the best options from Japan.
YEah that's what get from seiya or chino watch. Note the Canada Post brokerage of only 10$ which is far less than the vast majority of shippers like Fedex UPS or DHL. Usually it still comes out cheaper with the taxes paid.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2009
2187 posts
236 upvotes
TO
Anyone know if you can get a discount in GTA on a BLNR? Or are they absolutely not budging? I finally think I will make the move. Going to sell my Seamaster 300 for it though I think (PM me as it is now for sale for those interested).
Dec 15, 2012
46 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
Hey, I was at Raffi and they said you would have to wait 2-3 months for one and sport models are sold out for the year. I don’t think you will get any discount on BLnR closer to Christmas as this sells out pretty fast.

I think if you tell them you have cash, they may have one at the back. Ask to see if they can covert the tax. Hope you find a BLNR soon!
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8313 posts
2458 upvotes
Richmond Hill
tcharged wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 1:37 am
Anyone know if you can get a discount in GTA on a BLNR? Or are they absolutely not budging? I finally think I will make the move. Going to sell my Seamaster 300 for it though I think (PM me as it is now for sale for those interested).
My AD Damianis is out of professional models. Seems like Rolex is holding out inventory till Basel probably and a price hike. Rolex service centre just jacked up their rates big time.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1459 posts
480 upvotes
Ottawa
appleb wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 10:07 pm
I purchase most of my Seiko's online from asian vendors. Usually from chino-watch, Seiya Japan, shoppinginjapan, or watchspree....
How would you rank the the vendors from 1-4 based on your buying experience?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7634 posts
980 upvotes
Toronto
sandav wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:12 pm
How would you rank the the vendors from 1-4 based on your buying experience?
I would put chino-watch and Seiya tied for first, then shoppinginjapan followed by watchspree.

I tend to go for chino-watch over Seiya, only because they tend to be cheaper.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2009
2187 posts
236 upvotes
TO
whatisnew wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 12:29 pm
Hey, I was at Raffi and they said you would have to wait 2-3 months for one and sport models are sold out for the year. I don’t think you will get any discount on BLnR closer to Christmas as this sells out pretty fast.

I think if you tell them you have cash, they may have one at the back. Ask to see if they can covert the tax. Hope you find a BLNR soon!
Thanks man. Will post photos if I get one!
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8313 posts
2458 upvotes
Richmond Hill
whatisnew wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 12:29 pm

Yeah I highly doubt Raffi will give any discount. Before I got my BLNR I asked them if they had one and the sales guy acted like he was doing me a favor getting it out of the safe and selling it at msrp. Thanks but no thanks I dont ever pay msrp for any Rolex.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16727 posts
1795 upvotes
Montreal
appleb wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 9:59 pm
I would put chino-watch and Seiya tied for first, then shoppinginjapan followed by watchspree.

I tend to go for chino-watch over Seiya, only because they tend to be cheaper.
Sounds about right. But I never bought a watch for than 600$ from any of these places. Not sure I would buy 6k Grand Seiko sight unseen

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

steve-0101