Fashion & Apparel

watch lovers....what's your favorite watch?

Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
11840 posts
919 upvotes
Mississauga
r1lee wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 9:48 pm
All decent watches from swatch group and slightly older models from other makers.
Not sure if swatch still sells a unfinished movement.
Rolex Tudor used ETA in their watches. Most swiss watches are using eta or eta inspired movements.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
11840 posts
919 upvotes
Mississauga
ronnielarmond wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 11:24 am
I thought the higher the price means higher quality (with the exception of the use of diamonds and gold). What I mean by quality is how durable and reliable the timepiece is.
Not necessarily, I have seen expensive swiss pieces with poorer finish than a mid tier Japanese.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
7961 posts
344 upvotes
ronnielarmond wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 10:50 am
How would you rank these brands in order of quality? Patek phillipe, Rolex, Audemars Piguet, Vacheron Constantin, Grand Seiko, Omega, IWC, Panerai, Tudor, Tag HEuer, Longines, Mont Blanc, Tissot, Movado, Bulova, Citizen
Lol wtf. U got some right but that list sucks.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
7961 posts
344 upvotes
weedb0y wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 4:54 pm
Rolex Tudor used ETA in their watches. Most swiss watches are using eta or eta inspired movements.
Rolex no longer uses eta. Hence the reason I said, not sure if swatch (eta) sells ebauche movements anymore.
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8502 posts
2579 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ronnielarmond wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 10:50 am
How would you rank these brands in order of quality? Patek phillipe, Rolex, Audemars Piguet, Vacheron Constantin, Grand Seiko, Omega, IWC, Panerai, Tudor, Tag HEuer, Longines, Mont Blanc, Tissot, Movado, Bulova, Citizen
Rolex is the worst on the list. Best would be tag heuer especially the formula 1, calibre 7 'batman' it's OG AF
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
17025 posts
1828 upvotes
Montreal
tcharged wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 1:23 am
Invicta
Hublot
Tag Heuer
Steinhart
Tisell

Face With Tears Of Joy
DW rocks.
weedb0y wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 4:54 pm
Rolex hasn't used an ETA movement in half a century or more.

Tudor used ETA movements until recently. As of late they are starting to use in house movements (MT56xx) as well as Breitling chronograph movements in a joint partnership. Some Tudors still use ETA movements.

Disclaimer: I own a black bay with the tudor movement.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2009
1507 posts
607 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 8:25 pm
Rolex is the worst on the list. Best would be tag heuer especially the formula 1, calibre 7 'batman' it's OG AF
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
7961 posts
344 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 8:25 pm
Some of you should not be even suggesting things, tag lol.
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8502 posts
2579 upvotes
Richmond Hill
aviator_13 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 9:51 pm
r1lee wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 10:00 pm
Some of you should not be even suggesting things, tag lol.
Watch snobs :p

Guess you guys don't come to this thread regularly...
Nov 26, 2016
124 posts
11 upvotes
Does brand history have an effect on price of the watch? I hear alot of ppl talk about the history of the watches (atleast the hardcore enthusiast). But does this affect pricing??
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6926 posts
1063 upvotes
Everything could matter in how a brand figure they could price their watch, and how much a buyer would be willing to spend, etc. Anyway, I feel you really want to educate yourself on watches but honestly this may not be the best site to do so. I suggest heading to a watch enthusiast forum like watchuseek and you will find a lot more resources there to help you understand.
ronnielarmond wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 10:24 pm
Does brand history have an effect on price of the watch? I hear alot of ppl talk about the history of the watches (atleast the hardcore enthusiast). But does this affect pricing??
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2765 posts
582 upvotes
LONDON
tcharged wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 1:23 am
Invicta
Hublot
Tag Heuer
Steinhart
Tisell

Face With Tears Of Joy
Invicta is da best! Just look how much you're saving with sales on Amazon, amazing!

Hublot Big Bang is also a star. I know my friend's cousin's boyfriend who was aspiring to be a hip hop artist, he was struggling until he got a Hublot Ice Bang, then he became huge in the hip hop scene, I heard.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
4302 posts
1419 upvotes
I dont see many annual/perpetual calendars in this thread. What do u guys think of using it as daily driver? Leather strap.

One that shows month/day/date all on one dial.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2765 posts
582 upvotes
LONDON
mathiewannabe wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 7:04 am
I dont see many annual/perpetual calendars in this thread. What do u guys think of using it as daily driver? Leather strap.

One that shows month/day/date all on one dial.
This would be my first choice it I am in the market for one, fits your criteria. Daily wear would be no problem.

There is also the SS version with the light grey meteorite dial, also regular and enamel dial I think, but the darker meteorite dial and the contrast with the RG is why sells me on the RG version. You can get these preowned usually in mint condition for around $10k USD if I recall correctly, which is really not that bad considering what you're getting.

The Skydweller in SS would also be a great choice, although no day display, the 2nd timezone more than makes up for it. Blue dial on brown leather is the combo I'd go with. I initially hated the design but it's growing on me, but I don't think I could choose it over that beautiful JLC or a simple DJ.