Fashion & Beauty

watch lovers....what's your favorite watch?

Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6101 posts
986 upvotes
Where can I get a Junkers Bauhaus or Junghans Max Bill? would like to see it in person before buying, any stores in the GTA?
________

"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2752 posts
311 upvotes
appleb wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 9:30 pm
Yes, almost always because my luck is terrible.

Here's what I paid for duty on a SARB033:
Declared value $430
Duty Rate: 5.00 (percent)
Duty Amount: 21.50 (declared value * duty rate)
GST/HST 58.70 (declared value + duty amount) * 13%
Handling Cost 9.95 (fixed amount)
Total: $90.15

Avoid Fedex and UPS, as they will charge excessively huge brokerage fees. Japan Post or EMS are the best options from Japan.
I'm looking at getting a sarb033 or sarb035.

Is there a reason you preferred ordering from an overseas online retailer rather than a 3rd party seller on amazon.ca? Wouldn't ordering it from amazon.ca save duties? The sarb033 is CAN$469 on amazon from a 3rd party and it doesn't look like they add tax or say anything about duties. (Though from the shipping times, it looks like it would be coming from overseas)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7806 posts
1209 upvotes
Toronto
poorwingman wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 12:39 am

Is there a reason you preferred ordering from an overseas online retailer rather than a 3rd party seller on amazon.ca? Wouldn't ordering it from amazon.ca save duties? The sarb033 is CAN$469 on amazon from a 3rd party and it doesn't look like they add tax or say anything about duties. (Though from the shipping times, it looks like it would be coming from overseas)
I bought mine over a year and a half ago, so prices have likely changed since then. But if you can manage to purchase it for $469 on amazon with no taxes and no duties, then I guess it is worth a shot.
blexann wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 12:15 am
Where can I get a Junkers Bauhaus or Junghans Max Bill? would like to see it in person before buying, any stores in the GTA?
There is a store in the distillery district called Bergo that sells Junkers and Junghans. I recall seeing the Max Bills there.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8092 posts
441 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 11:11 pm
Just too lazy to set my watches. My wife doesn't wear hers all the time and without the winder she asks me to set it everytime. I don't rotate daily either and I'm thinking about consolidating to one watch... BLRO

I know some like to collect winders. Is that why you have 2 triple orbitas?
I don’t collect winders, that’s pretty dumb to be honest. I don’t use them anymore cause the orbitas are loud, they are silent when there’s no watches in them, but with a little weight you can hear the mechanism.

Between myself and my wife, we have over 12 watches.
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
10048 posts
4814 upvotes
Richmond Hill
r1lee wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 7:26 am
I don’t collect winders, that’s pretty dumb to be honest. I don’t use them anymore cause the orbitas are loud, they are silent when there’s no watches in them, but with a little weight you can hear the mechanism.

Between myself and my wife, we have over 12 watches.
No doubt, it's an odd hobby that some have.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1454 posts
310 upvotes
Toronto
poorwingman wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 12:39 am

Can you provide a link to the one on Amazon.ca?

I was also looking at a SARB035, and there’s one listed on Amazon for $469.
When asked if there are any tax/duties, the seller state, “Yes there will be some import taxes, but we can help you for that”
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2752 posts
311 upvotes
blindemboss wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 11:58 am

When asked if there are any tax/duties, the seller state, “Yes there will be some import taxes, but we can help you for that”
I think I'm mistaken and that there *may* be duties. I incorrectly presumed that amazon would calculate any duties for customers.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2759 posts
2263 upvotes
Vancouver
blindemboss wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 11:58 am

Stuff sold on Amazon.ca and shipped to Canadian addresses must have any duties/taxes/customs fees included in the price the customer pays at checkout. The seller is then responsible for getting the item into Canada and delivered to the end recipient at its own expense without any surprise charges for the recipient at delivery.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2752 posts
311 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 2:58 pm
Stuff sold on Amazon.ca and shipped to Canadian addresses must have any duties/taxes/customs fees included in the price the customer pays at checkout. The seller is then responsible for getting the item into Canada and delivered to the end recipient at its own expense without any surprise charges for the recipient at delivery.
link?
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2759 posts
2263 upvotes
Vancouver
poorwingman wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 12:30 am
link?
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/help/customer/ ... =201851920

The following apply for each product you offer, promote and/or sell on an Amazon marketplace website:

1. Customer Expectations. You will provide customers with accurate information about the country from which you are shipping your product. You need to state the 'shipping from' country accurately in your seller profile and manage customer expectations by stating the actual shipping times from your country. You will be responsible for meeting the shipping expectations for all orders you receive.
  2. Delivery to the Customer. You must use a reliable shipping method so customers receives their purchases on time, every time. Do not expose customers to customs delays and additional duties and taxes on their purchases. You are responsible for complying with all import and export obligations and for payment of all applicable duties and customs fees. In short, customers must receive exactly what they order without any additional charges or fees and within the estimated delivery date posted with your offer on the Amazon marketplace website.
  3. Customer charges. Your listing will include all applicable charges and taxes (including VAT, customs duty, excise taxes, etc. as applicable). You will provide VAT invoices to the customer upon the customer's request, if applicable.
--

So many foreign sellers on Amazon.ca aren't complying with this, and I hate to think how many Canadians are swallowing up surprise customs and brokerage fees when they shouldn't be. Stuff bought on Amazon.ca is a DOMESTIC SALE if shipped to a Canadian address.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19783 posts
2161 upvotes
Montreal
Just saw this at a local jeweler yesterday:

Mido ocean star titanium.

Beautifully crafted, light, solidly made. Elegant and understated. Extremely comfy to wear and the bracelet has a micro adjustable slider! 80 hour reserve to boot. All for 1200$ before discount.

If anyone is looking for an entry level dive watch from a solid swiss maker, I can't recommend Mido enough. I almost picked it up but, I have dive watches coming out the wazoo.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2007
2228 posts
81 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 8:25 pm
Rolex is the worst on the list. Best would be tag heuer especially the formula 1, calibre 7 'batman' it's OG AF
please elaborate more on your opinion because i don't believe it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7806 posts
1209 upvotes
Toronto
mr_raider wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 11:34 am
Just saw this at a local jeweler yesterday:

Mido ocean star titanium.

Beautifully crafted, light, solidly made. Elegant and understated. Extremely comfy to wear and the bracelet has a micro adjustable slider! 80 hour reserve to boot. All for 1200$ before discount.

If anyone is looking for an entry level dive watch from a solid swiss maker, I can't recommend Mido enough. I almost picked it up but, I have dive watches coming out the wazoo.
I've been eyeing this model ever since it came out. I was offered $1000 tax-in at one dealer without asking... I almost went for it but I resisted.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19783 posts
2161 upvotes
Montreal
appleb wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 10:21 am
I've been eyeing this model ever since it came out. I was offered $1000 tax-in at one dealer without asking... I almost went for it but I resisted.
Mind sharing the dealer's name? I wouldn't mind an out of province purchase?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7806 posts
1209 upvotes
Toronto
mr_raider wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 10:46 am
Mind sharing the dealer's name? I wouldn't mind an out of province purchase?
pm sent