Fashion & Apparel

watch lovers....what's your favorite watch?

Apr 18, 2009
769 posts
230 upvotes
Toronto/Plano/Atlant…
Some pictures of my seamaster 300 titanium

Nov 26, 2016
156 posts
23 upvotes
Should I buy a vincero watch? I know the movement is crappy but I just care about the appearance for now as a everyday beater
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
2133 posts
716 upvotes
Pothole city
Picked up this automatic from Ebay with the 20%off for 200$. SSA263K1. 20mm solid links, 4R39 movement.

I maybe want to change the bracelet for leather. Was thinking of black or dark brown.

Thoughts?

Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
4367 posts
603 upvotes
ronnielarmond wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 6:30 pm
Should I buy a vincero watch? I know the movement is crappy but I just care about the appearance for now as a everyday beater
The YouTube videos got to you didn't it?

Aug 6, 2011
100 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
Up until receiving the West End Watch Co. Sowar 1916, I've never previously heard of the Swiss watch manufacturer. However, that's not surprising, since their official distribution channels rely mainly in Asia and Europe. At first glance, the watch presents a relatively clean and simple look. The dial uses Arabic numerals, a sub-seconds dial to register the seconds, as well as a date function at the 3 o'clock position. The railroad tracks running around the outer perimeter of the watch along with the seconds/minute counters at 5 minute intervals help add a small touch of complexity to the dial, keeping the watch from looking overly simple. Text wise, I like that the watch decides to keep it minimal and centered complimenting the clean and simple aesthetic, and mentioning only the brand, model, movement, and "Swiss Made" beside the 6 o'clock position. The "Cathedral" stylized hands adds to "classic" feel with the hour marker mimicking a spade-like/cathedral dome, while the minute marker replicates a standard cathedral tower. One nice touch is that the minute marker extends the needle to the outer railroad tracks, making it easy to read the exact minute if needed. Although the hour/minute hands appear to chemically dyed blued, they're fairly well dyed given that when viewed centered, the hands appear almost black, and only when viewed at an angle do the markers reveal the true colour. Lastly, the white dial has a slight enamel like texture/look (although most likely not made from enamel), especially when viewing the sub-seconds dial at an angle.

Moving on to the side of the watch, West End provides a onion style crown which is another nice touch that adds to the classic, yet simple motif. Another bonus is that the onion style crown allows for easier manual winding of the watch (if needed). The thick sapphire crystal case laying over the top of watch might sway some people the other direction, since it may be deemed unnecessarily thick. However, it does give the watch a nice little heft, but at 74 grams, the watch is nowhere considered heavy. The wire style lugs again adds to the reoccurring style of the watch while allowing of easier access to swap straps if needed in the future. Lastly, the dual butterfly style deployant clasp with the company's logo stamped keeps the secured, and making it easy to wear the watch, as each side can be locked into place separately.

Shifting the attention to the back shows the display case back of the ETA 2895-2 movement. The balance wheel at the 12 o'clock position beating at 4hz displays most of the wheel. The rotor is decorated with Geneve stripes/waves with the company's "W" logo centered on the rotor plate. The movement is also supposed to rhodium plated, (lthough I'm not sure how to tell), helps add a nice aesthetic to the base ETA movement. The watch also keeps surprisingly good time running only about ~25 seconds ahead after wearing the watch for almost 3 weeks.

Overall, I'm fairly happy about the watch (but who wouldn't be if it's a gift), as it presents a relatively fair value if purchased on its own with the assembly of the dial, the decorated movement, and finish of the watch.

Specs:
- 39mm in diameter
- 11-12mm in thickness
- 46-47mm lug to lug
- 74 grams
- ETA 2895-2 movement
- 6.25" wrist
Images
  • WEWC S1916.jpg
  • WEWC S1916B.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7738 posts
1115 upvotes
Toronto
There has been no announcement for the Swatch Friends and Family sale which usually happens in June, so I emailed Swatch to find out what's up. I got a response saying the sale is permanently cancelled and will no longer occur in the future. =(
Jul 29, 2017
77 posts
49 upvotes
typer100 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 6:48 pm
Picked up this automatic from Ebay with the 20%off for 200$. SSA263K1. 20mm solid links, 4R39 movement.

I maybe want to change the bracelet for leather. Was thinking of black or dark brown.

Thoughts?
I would go with a lighter brown.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2001
7013 posts
174 upvotes
Toronto
appleb wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 11:06 pm
There has been no announcement for the Swatch Friends and Family sale which usually happens in June, so I emailed Swatch to find out what's up. I got a response saying the sale is permanently cancelled and will no longer occur in the future. =(
ohno :(

Good thing I went to the citizen sale and got my watch fix.
What do you think the problem was - resellers?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2001
7013 posts
174 upvotes
Toronto
appleb wrote:
Hopefully, they don't do this!
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4494 posts
577 upvotes
appleb wrote:
Why put out a sale when the market is soft?

https://monochrome-watches.com/richemon ... two-years/
Last edited by mebiuspower on Jun 13th, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7738 posts
1115 upvotes
Toronto
balou911 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 7:41 am
ohno :(

Good thing I went to the citizen sale and got my watch fix.
What do you think the problem was - resellers?
At the last sale they limited the number of watches you could buy from Tissot/Hamilton/Mido/Longines/Rado to 3. I don't think it was a reseller issue.

The sale probably hurts their image more than anything else. Personally I found it hard to justify buying any of these brands from a retailer when there is a chance the watch may show up at the bi-annual sale at 66% off.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

vtec_chump