Fashion & Beauty

watch lovers....what's your favorite watch?

Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1679 posts
207 upvotes
typer100 wrote:
Jul 9th, 2018 7:57 pm
Really nice. I like watches but not enough to spend that kind of money. I don't think I could afford one either. Not to challenge how people spend their money, but at some point only connoisseur could tell the difference between a 600$ Seiko and a GS. If I was making 10x more money, maybe I would go for a 6K watch.
you can tell immediately when you put them side by side.
Wedding & Child Photographer ~ happily photographing
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4428 posts
264 upvotes
Personally not feeling the new LE speedy, the gold dial are not for me but it does have nice contrast! Congrats on the purchase!
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2009
1679 posts
799 upvotes
Hey RFD watch crew - close to adding a Rolex to the collection. It'll be my first (and likely to be only) Rolex.

Currently deciding between the following (listed in order of size)
1) 39mm Explorer I
2) 41mm Datejust with fluted bezel (wildcard of the bunch)
3) 42mm Explorer II and further to that can't decide white vs. black

Currently leaning towards the Explorer II but want to hear some perspective!
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2009
2345 posts
353 upvotes
TO
aviator_13 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2018 10:17 pm
Hey RFD watch crew - close to adding a Rolex to the collection. It'll be my first (and likely to be only) Rolex.

1) 39mm Explorer I

Explorer 1, 214207 is my vote. Can’t go wrong with a Explorer 2 either.
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
10206 posts
5088 upvotes
Richmond Hill
aviator_13 wrote:

1) 39mm Explorer I

What else is in your collection size wise? If you have nothing around the 42mm range Exp II white dial is a great choice out of the list.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2009
1679 posts
799 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2018 4:06 pm
What else is in your collection size wise? If you have nothing around the 42mm range Exp II white dial is a great choice out of the list.
In the 42mm range (+/- 2mm) I have a CW Trident, Seiko Solar Chronograph, Seiko SKX007, Hamilton Jazzmaster GMT World, and a Citizen Nighthawk

Guess I can't go wrong either way but further leaning towards the Explorer I at this point - seems to be a good no-brainer watch you could throw onto your wrist in any situation
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
10206 posts
5088 upvotes
Richmond Hill
aviator_13 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2018 6:49 pm
In the 42mm range (+/- 2mm) I have a CW Trident, Seiko Solar Chronograph, Seiko SKX007, Hamilton Jazzmaster GMT World, and a Citizen Nighthawk

Guess I can't go wrong either way but further leaning towards the Explorer I at this point - seems to be a good no-brainer watch you could throw onto your wrist in any situation
True Exp I is quite versatile. Can’t really go wrong with any of them.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1679 posts
207 upvotes
aviator_13 wrote:

1) 39mm Explorer I

if this is the one and only rollie and you don't have already have something for the more dressy times then get 1) or 2). If you are never in anything like a shirt and tie then go for the 3) imo.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2006
1442 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
Not a fan of the 41mm DJ so I would choose between the Exp I or Exp II black dial.

To narrow down the choice between the two, I would try both on and go with the one that looks better and is more comfortable on the wrist.

Now if the Exp II was still made in 40mm instead of 42mm then I would pick the Exp II any day of the week over the Exp I.
I take pictures of stuff ; flickr
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19989 posts
2170 upvotes
Montreal
inzite wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 1:27 pm
I'm on year 4 right now for my sbgj005 and so far it's still performing quite well without a service yet, but yes, i've also heard service for GS or particular GS would need to be sent back to japan - should be ok if service is in japan knowing they usually have quite a higher standard than other places - I guess i'll find out when the time comes.

until then this baby gets a fair share of wrist time - old pic.
Nice. I'm thinking of the GMT with blue hand. EIther the 36k or 28.8k version. WIth the brown leather strap.

Where did you get it?

I'm travelling to SIngapore this summer, and to Miami this fall. Both cities have a GS store. Which one would you suggest?
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1466 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
mr_raider wrote:
Jul 19th, 2018 12:43 pm
I'm travelling to SIngapore this summer, and to Miami this fall. Both cities have a GS store. Which one would you suggest?
In a somewhat related note, is there a country or region that is renowned for lower prices for luxury (say Omegas and Rolex level) watches?
Authorized dealers only.
Jan 17, 2018
148 posts
80 upvotes
blindemboss wrote:
Jul 19th, 2018 7:16 pm
In a somewhat related note, is there a country or region that is renowned for lower prices for luxury (say Omegas and Rolex level) watches?
Authorized dealers only.
Hong Kong would be my guess.

It had the best price world wide when I bought my Seiko Darth Tuna Spring Drive. It was even cheaper than the big name Japanese website (can't remember the name...).

Are you on Watch U Seek by any chance? that is the best place to ask. For Seiko, HK gets my vote at Watch Outz. (they have their own facebook group and you can get quotes.)
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2854 posts
625 upvotes
LONDON
blindemboss wrote:
Jul 19th, 2018 7:16 pm
Authorized dealers only.
HK and JP for sure

I was still able to negotiate while I was in Japan (people online were saying you can't ), I just looked up a Chrono24 ad for a store in HK and asked if they could match or beat the price when I was at Bic Camera, after a few calls with their manager they sold me a new Speedy Pro for $3k USD
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1679 posts
207 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Jul 19th, 2018 12:43 pm
Nice. I'm thinking of the GMT with blue hand. EIther the 36k or 28.8k version. WIth the brown leather strap.

Where did you get it?

I would suggest highbeat as it really is something special! I got mine at launch of the model from a AD in macau (which I have a relationship with). I would suggest the one you get the best deal. Boutiques are usually hard to get any sort of discount.
Nov 26, 2016
174 posts
35 upvotes
Is there a website where i can buy authentic watches for good prices (not really looking for a used watch on forums or anything). Im looking to buy new tag heuer.

Also, If I get an automatic watch and it stops running is it bad for the watch If I leave it stop working for a long time (not get it serviced)?