Fashion & Beauty

watch lovers....what's your favorite watch?

Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2862 posts
628 upvotes
LONDON
Sniper001 wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2018 12:57 am
Any reason to not keep them on a winder?
Just a personal preference for less wear and tear on the movement, but really the Rolex movements themselves should run forever with service haha
Dec 10, 2014
487 posts
276 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Anyone know how much a Tudor Pelagos is at an ad? I really want to get a pelagos lhd
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
10346 posts
5371 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Sniper001 wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2018 12:57 am
Any reason to not keep them on a winder?
Wear and tear is the argument for not using one and the flip side is the nonsense about lube drying up lol

I have 4 rolexes and an omega and they are all on a winder. Why? Due to convenience.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
12543 posts
1146 upvotes
Mississauga
These movements can last for years and years without even service (unless the watch is truly vintage).
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
10346 posts
5371 upvotes
Richmond Hill
weedb0y wrote:
Aug 24th, 2018 12:31 pm
These movements can last for years and years without even service (unless the watch is truly vintage).
I think you mean decade(s). Rolex and omega are not 10 year service intervals. But even when Rolex were recommending 5 year intervals there have been people with 10-15 year old watches that were still running within spec.
Oct 16, 2011
103 posts
50 upvotes
ST THOMAS
EP32k2 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2018 12:51 pm
I think you mean decade(s). Rolex and omega are not 10 year service intervals. But even when Rolex were recommending 5 year intervals there have been people with 10-15 year old watches that were still running within spec.
Rolex doesn't actually recommend a 10 year service interval - if they did it would be in every advertisement they made. People have misinterpreted a letter sent to dealers - they made an observation, and people took it as a recommendation. Omega says they can't tell you a specific time frame, because it's based on how the watch is used, but they say that 4-5 years is a typical service interval.

Whether or not servicing a watch at a set interval recommended by the manufacturer is the most economic way of looking after a watch is certainly debatable, and there's no one universal answer for that. But the notion that parts don't wear when the watch is running for that long without service is simply not true. I see it every day I sit down at the bench to service watches.

Timekeeping is not a reliable indicator of the need for servicing. I can guarantee you if you let a watch run for 10-15 years, it's being damaged in the process. You can't wish away the physics involved...

Cheers, Al
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
20295 posts
2232 upvotes
Montreal
McGarnagle wrote:
Aug 24th, 2018 12:31 am
Anyone know how much a Tudor Pelagos is at an ad? I really want to get a pelagos lhd
I bought a BB red back in 2017. I paid 3750 tax in. MSRP was 3800-3900 or some such. Tax in QC is 15.5%
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
20295 posts
2232 upvotes
Montreal
poorwingman wrote:
Aug 25th, 2018 9:05 am
I received a Tag Carrera Calibre 5 day date as a wedding gift a couple years ago. It's not the most expensive watch but it holds a lot of sentimental value for me.

How often should I service it, if at all?

Thanks
Bone stock SW 200. Do you wish to keep it for a long a time? Then maybe 5 years if worn regularly.

I have a few sub 700$ eta 2824 watches. I plan to run them into the ground.
Oct 16, 2011
103 posts
50 upvotes
ST THOMAS
poorwingman wrote:
Aug 25th, 2018 9:05 am
I received a Tag Carrera Calibre 5 day date as a wedding gift a couple years ago. It's not the most expensive watch but it holds a lot of sentimental value for me.

How often should I service it, if at all?

Thanks
There is no answer that applies to every situation, so it will depend if you plan to use the factory service center, or an independent watchmaker, and in the end how much you want to preserve the watch. Parts for the movement are not difficult to get, however Tag doesn't sell parts to independent watchmakers, so case parts (crowns, crystal, etc.) will be more difficult to obtain.

I've made a post on WUS regarding the whole service interval question from my perspective:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/how-of ... 89280.html

It's turned into a long thread over the years but worth reading. Certainly servicing it every 5 years with Tag will ensure that it runs well and seals are replaced, but in the end it's a personal decision people have to make.

Cheers, Al
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2810 posts
341 upvotes
Thanks for the replies. Ya I'm aware it's not as nice as some of the more unique pieces that some of the other posters and I'm not sure it has heirloom qualities for most but since it was a wedding gift, i hope it'll have more sentimental value for my family
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
10346 posts
5371 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ArcherWatches wrote:
Aug 25th, 2018 12:23 pm
There is no answer that applies to every situation, so it will depend if you plan to use the factory service center, or an independent watchmaker, and in the end how much you want to preserve the watch. Parts for the movement are not difficult to get, however Tag doesn't sell parts to independent watchmakers, so case parts (crowns, crystal, etc.) will be more difficult to obtain.

I've made a post on WUS regarding the whole service interval question from my perspective:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/how-of ... 89280.html

It's turned into a long thread over the years but worth reading. Certainly servicing it every 5 years with Tag will ensure that it runs well and seals are replaced, but in the end it's a personal decision people have to make.

Cheers, Al
Al thanks for the insight. That thread was a good read!
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4731 posts
902 upvotes
Question to those who have sold pieces - what makes and models retained most of their value?
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1358 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto
TodayHello wrote:
Aug 26th, 2018 8:12 pm
Question to those who have sold pieces - what makes and models retained most of their value?
rolex and patek sports models.
kthxbye
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3284 posts
2795 upvotes
Vancouver
Watch auction at Able Auctions, Surrey BC, Sept 29th 10am. Online bidders welcome. Mostly junk so far but there's a nice orange Seamaster and a Graham Silverstone.

https://www.ableauctions.ca/auction?aAu ... 463d28d229
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?