Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1785 posts
44 upvotes
Vancouver

Water got into my gas tank

I was careless. I filled up gas, left the gas flap semi-open and the plug not screwed in and parked outside on a questionable rainy night. Now there is a engine light on when I drive but I can still drive.

Few questions:
How much permanent damage might be done?
How does it affect my warentee?
If I bring my car to an autoshop to drain my gas, would the dealership's service people be able to detect my mishap?

If it makes any difference, I drive a 20043 vw golf.

update: It was EVAP system set off and coolant a little too hot. I'm gonna pick my car up later. Thanks for everybody's help
spot finder
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5722 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
As long as you didn't get 10-15 litres in there you should be fine, just top it up every chance you get, that way it dilutes the % of water to gasoline, and soone enough it'll run through the system. Don't forget to run some gasline antifreeze through the tank(1 smallbottle to start.), it'll also help with the water problem.

Brent
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2039 posts
3 upvotes
I think there are some additives that you can buy to get rid of water in the tank. I am sure it doesnt get rid of all the water, but it helps
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2003
3225 posts
40 upvotes
Big Brother wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2007 10:15 am
It is a gas, not a diesel, right?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6500 posts
432 upvotes
Toronto
Big Brother wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2007 10:15 am
I was careless. I filled up gas, left the gas flap semi-open and the plug not screwed in and parked outside on a questionable rainy night. Now there is a engine light on when I drive but I can still drive.

Few questions:
How much permanent damage might be done?
How does it affect my warentee?
If I bring my car to an autoshop to drain my gas, would the dealership's service people be able to detect my mishap?

Make sure the check engine light is not on because you simply left the gas flap open, I know some cars have a sensor that will throw this light if you leave your gas tank door open for a while. Mine does.

Some water is not going to do permanent damage as long as you put in some gas line anti-freeze to stop it from freezing and clogging up your fuel lines.

You may consider an octane booster additive if you feel your engine is not firing all cylinders correctly.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1785 posts
44 upvotes
Vancouver
oh well, too late. But thanks for all your help. I've already had it towed to the car dealership for servicing. I dont know how much water is inside - dont know how much it rained. I am expecting this will cost me a small fortune.

It's octane, not diesel.

No, the engine light is not on cuz of the flap. I closed it yesterday and today the light is still on.
spot finder
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5669 posts
161 upvotes
GTA
Big Brother wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2007 12:23 pm
oh well, too late. But thanks for all your help. I've already had it towed to the car dealership for servicing. I dont know how much water is inside - dont know how much it rained. I am expecting this will cost me a small fortune.

It's octane, not diesel.

No, the engine light is not on cuz of the flap. I closed it yesterday and today the light is still on.
The engine light will still remain on, until someone resets your computer. The engine light does not reset itself. 9 times out of 10, its due to you leaving the gas cap off & driving off!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1785 posts
44 upvotes
Vancouver
sunnybono wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2007 12:27 pm
The engine light will still remain on, until someone resets your computer. The engine light does not reset itself. 9 times out of 10, its due to you leaving the gas cap off & driving off!!!
Oh cool, I am safe if that's the reason. I hope that is the case and perhaps it wont kill both my warentee and wallet.
spot finder
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
553 upvotes
sunnybono wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2007 12:27 pm
the engine light will reset itself after a few cycles of driving unless whatever caused it to throw the code in the first place does it again
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
4609 posts
72 upvotes
Winnipeg
Big Brother wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2007 12:23 pm

It's octane, not diesel.

The check engine light can remain on for several days after you've re-tightened the gas cap. After that, the light will go off. I doubt you got very much water into your tank...you probably get more water from filling up at the gas station since most underground gas tanks already have water in them.

What you want to do use to put in some gas line anti-freeze. This will combine with any water in your tank and burn it off with the anti-freeze.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2003
3225 posts
40 upvotes
Just get someone to scan it for you. Then check the code and reset it, it's probably from the gas cap being off.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
4609 posts
72 upvotes
Winnipeg
new_vr wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2007 12:46 pm
Just get someone to scan it for you. Then check the code and reset it, it's probably from the gas cap being off.
You know how much VW charges just to scan the code? I think it's $80 or $90 bucks.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5722 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
Worse come to worse, just drain the gas tank. Do VWs have a drain plug?? if so it's really easy.

Brent
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2003
3225 posts
40 upvotes
cipher wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2007 12:47 pm
You know how much VW charges just to scan the code? I think it's $80 or $90 bucks.
lots of people have vag-coms, which interface the computer.
If you just want to read/reset the code, an obd-ii reader will do it. I am sure there is someone out there who can help them out
Here is a list of vag-com people: http://www20.brinkster.com/beowulf9/tdi/vagcom/
× < >