Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1828 posts
757 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
phoenix_bladen wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 3:13 pm
oh shoot, i think i made a mistake then

so basically when i called in to inquire about the cancellation, one of the agents asked me to send me section 6 on my agreement offer, showing that I would be assuming the contract. She basically told me, she wouldn't want to show me the contract unless I am the actual person taking over the property.

So i didn't think it was a big deal at the time and so i sent her a screenshot of the section where it states that the HWT is 34.18 and that buyer assumes the contract etc etc.

So if I now do what you guys have stated above, then they can come back to me and say 'well u showed me this ....', and i would be in trouble?

Any advice would be great !
Sneaky bastards...
They may try and tell you that you agreed to a rental contract with them, but again, the Agreement of Purchase and Sale is between you and the Seller. You agreed with the Seller that the HWT was a rental, and you agreed with the Seller that you will assume the payments. If the Seller failed to list the HWT as a rental, you could sue the Seller for the costs associated for the rental termination. You agreed to nothing with Enbridge.
You still have to make an actual payment to them to fulfill the assumed rental contact.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2004
1740 posts
92 upvotes
pootza wrote:
Jan 14th, 2016 6:31 pm
You would have thought your real estate agent would have had a copy of that and would have gone over the terms with you during purchase. But they are probably all in it together.
Have you ever purchased a home?
Dec 12, 2007
117 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 3:48 pm
Sneaky bastards...
They may try and tell you that you agreed to a rental contract with them, but again, the Agreement of Purchase and Sale is between you and the Seller. You agreed with the Seller that the HWT was a rental, and you agreed with the Seller that you will assume the payments. If the Seller failed to list the HWT as a rental, you could sue the Seller for the costs associated for the rental termination. You agreed to nothing with Enbridge.
You still have to make an actual payment to them to fulfill the assumed rental contact.
ok after reading through all of the posts again and on the other threads, I'm starting to realize how many ppl have fallen for this.

So basically what i should do is, once I move in I should call Enbridge to immediately take out Reliance from my bill and don't pay them? What if they force me and threat to put me in collections if i don't?

Or just make some payments and wait until Feb 2018 and drop off at their location for $0 ? This is what the customer service rep told me that i won't have to pay anything to drop it off after the 5 year mark of the tank (installed in Jan 2013).

Or just call again when I move in and inquire about their cancellation to see if their numbers have changed? Since it seems some ppl call in and they give them different amounts.
Penalty Box
Dec 19, 2009
2554 posts
921 upvotes
baymoe wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 3:56 pm
Have you ever purchased a home?
Four houses, two apartment blocks and a business.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1828 posts
757 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
phoenix_bladen wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 5:30 pm
ok after reading through all of the posts again and on the other threads, I'm starting to realize how many ppl have fallen for this.

So basically what i should do is, once I move in I should call Enbridge to immediately take out Reliance from my bill and don't pay them? What if they force me and threat to put me in collections if i don't?

Or just make some payments and wait until Feb 2018 and drop off at their location for $0 ? This is what the customer service rep told me that i won't have to pay anything to drop it off after the 5 year mark of the tank (installed in Jan 2013).

Or just call again when I move in and inquire about their cancellation to see if their numbers have changed? Since it seems some ppl call in and they give them different amounts.
I just reread your earlier posts.

So, they want $472.50 +HST for them to drain, disconnect and remove the tank from your home in February, correct? But they will charge you zero dollars in fees come February if you have it disconnected by someone other than them, and if you drop it off at their facility?

Your desire is then to install a tankless ? Have you priced out the cost of installing a tankless? Do you know for sure you can install a tankless? They typically need to be installed on an exterior wall for venting purposes. This can be problematic in some circumstances, such as if you were in the middle unit of a row house, etc. The gas line into your house also has to be of a large enough capacity to run the tankless. The supply lines, both gas and water in/out, also may need to be moved.
The reason I'm asking is, you actually may want to consider the buyout from them, otherwise. I know it seems high for a five year old tank, but they typically last 15 years.

All that said, I'll retract what I said about not paying them, if you know for sure you are going tankless, and if indeed the prices they gave you are accurate. You'll only be paying 1-2 months rental charges, and compared to what it's probably going to cost to have the tankless installed, it's a pittance. The tankless installer will probably haul the tank out for you, but you'll have to get it to their depot somehow.
Dec 12, 2007
117 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 6:11 pm
I just reread your earlier posts.

So, they want $472.50 +HST for them to drain, disconnect and remove the tank from your home in February, correct? But they will charge you zero dollars in fees come February if you have it disconnected by someone other than them, and if you drop it off at their facility?

Your desire is then to install a tankless ? Have you priced out the cost of installing a tankless? Do you know for sure you can install a tankless? They typically need to be installed on an exterior wall for venting purposes. This can be problematic in some circumstances, such as if you were in the middle unit of a row house, etc. The gas line into your house also has to be of a large enough capacity to run the tankless. The supply lines, both gas and water in/out, also may need to be moved.
The reason I'm asking is, you actually may want to consider the buyout from them, otherwise. I know it seems high for a five year old tank, but they typically last 15 years.

All that said, I'll retract what I said about not paying them, if you know for sure you are going tankless, and if indeed the prices they gave you are accurate. You'll only be paying 1-2 months rental charges, and compared to what it's probably going to cost to have the tankless installed, it's a pittance. The tankless installer will probably haul the tank out for you, but you'll have to get it to their depot somehow.
Thanks for your time in responding to me, I'll try to provide more details for you ->

"So, they want $472.50 +HST for them to drain, disconnect and remove the tank from your home in February, correct? But they will charge you zero dollars in fees come February if you have it disconnected by someone other than them, and if you drop it off at their facility? "

Yes that's correct, so based on what the CSA from Reliance said to me. Since the HWT tank was installed on Jan 2013, she said that after 5 years the tank will be become -> $472.50 +HST for them to drain, disconnect and remove the tank and/or $0 for self removal/or find a contractor to do so, as well as having to drop it off a depot myself.

' Your desire is then to install a tankless ? Have you priced out the cost of installing a tankless? Do you know for sure you can install a tankless? They typically need to be installed on an exterior wall for venting purposes. This can be problematic in some circumstances, such as if you were in the middle unit of a row house, etc. The gas line into your house also has to be of a large enough capacity to run the tankless. The supply lines, both gas and water in/out, also may need to be moved.
The reason I'm asking is, you actually may want to consider the buyout from them, otherwise. I know it seems high for a five year old tank, but they typically last 15 years.'

I haven't had a chance to price out the installation of the tank yet, so I guess my first objective when taking possession of the home is to get someone to come take a look to see if it is feasible. But yes the goal is to go with 'tankless' if possible as I am hearing that it's more energy efficient than tank ones. But of course, if tankless is not an option, I would probably still install a new 'tank' and have the old one removed, as they are typically between $500-700?

My home is a semi detached build in 2008, so I am not sandwiched between 2 other homes, hopefully this will make the tank installation easier

'All that said, I'll retract what I said about not paying them, if you know for sure you are going tankless, and if indeed the prices they gave you are accurate. You'll only be paying 1-2 months rental charges, and compared to what it's probably going to cost to have the tankless installed, it's a pittance. The tankless installer will probably haul the tank out for you, but you'll have to get it to their depot somehow.'

Very true, I would probably call Reliance a few more times and ask different CSA to ensure the amounts are confirmed the same. I also wanted to mention that the previous rep still did not send me the contract yet. I've emailed her back a few times but no response. Luckily, I was able to get her to confirm these buyout and drop off amounts in writing to me (email).

And like I said, worse case scenario is I will just buy a regular tank instead of tankless, have it installed and send the old one back. Hopefully they're not too big and my SUV Nissan Murano is big enough to haul it back to the depot -> luckily that drop off depot is close to my workplace at east beaver creek !

again thanks for your suggestions and advice, it really helped !
Sep 24, 2008
308 posts
51 upvotes
Oakville
phoenix_bladen wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 5:30 pm
Just an FYI - one of the Reliance agents I spoke to told me the cancellation fee would be $0 - which I was quite excited about. But then they called me back an hour later to tell me that was a mistake... Reliance is such a scam. I’m sleeping like a baby now that I don’t have to pay them anymore!
Dec 12, 2007
117 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
rfdnutz wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 8:11 am
Just an FYI - one of the Reliance agents I spoke to told me the cancellation fee would be $0 - which I was quite excited about. But then they called me back an hour later to tell me that was a mistake... Reliance is such a scam. I’m sleeping like a baby now that I don’t have to pay them anymore!
Good suggestion

I would definitely call them up a few times to speak to different agents at different times to see if they all give me the same quote to cancel or drop off.