Home & Garden

Water Heater return for Reliance In Ottawa

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2017 8:58 pm
Apr 24, 2017
1 posts

Water Heater return for Reliance In Ottawa

Hi.

I am planning top buy a new Water Heater from Lowes, and return the current tank to Reliance at the depot myself. Reliance said that they will change me $469.00 to pick it up, but change NOTHING if I take it back myself to the depot. Is there a catch here? What am I missing? Why does it cost 469 to pick up my tank, and NOTHING if I take it back myself? Do you have any advice?

Guy
4 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Because they would have to pay a couple guys to drive out and pick it up, plus they try to rip us off at every step.
If you have a van/suv, just bring it yourself, making sure to cradle it properly so it isn't damaged. Otherwise you could rent a van/pickup to bring it to them.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
GuyRhymesWithTree wrote: Hi.

I am planning top buy a new Water Heater from Lowes, and return the current tank to Reliance at the depot myself. Reliance said that they will change me $469.00 to pick it up, but change NOTHING if I take it back myself to the depot. Is there a catch here? What am I missing? Why does it cost 469 to pick up my tank, and NOTHING if I take it back myself? Do you have any advice?

Guy
Did you ask Lowes if they can take away the old for a fee when they deliver the new?

I didn't buy from Lowes, but that's what I did.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
onlineharvest wrote: Did you ask Lowes if they can take away the old for a fee when they deliver the new?
Since OP has to return the tank, that usually means that Reliance won't consider the rental period is over until it's been returned and paperwork filed out. I wouldn't trust that to a third party (the guys that Lowes uses for installations) unless the rental period is 100% confirmed over, so it's just a trip to the dump.

I recall a previous thread where the OP trusted the plumber installing the new WH to return the old one, which he *said* he did, but there wasn't any paperwork to prove it, so the rental company kept charging the OP.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
When I returned my Direct Energy rental a few years ago, it was $75 for a pickup unless you were farther than x km from their drop off depot, in case it was free. I was within their limits, but loaded it into the back of my SUV. An empty WH is still heavy, but just "walk" it on its legs, don't try to carry it. $469 seems crazy.

OP, make sure you get all the forms/receipt for the return to prove it was returned in satisfactory condition so that Reliance will stop your rental. Make sure they note all the details, including serial number, on your paperwork. For my Direct Energy rental, they peeled the serial number label off the WH and attached it to the paperwork.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)