• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2017 11:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7142 posts
338 upvotes

Water keeps running down to the toilet bowl

I notice there is a small amount of water keeps running down to the toilet bowl (Note; The water inside the bowl seems completely stops, no water movement after it is filled), I checked that plastic cover inside the bowl (which is supposed to close the water passage to the bowl after the flush, it looks intact (no wear and tear). In facts, I thought maybe it is not closed completely for some reasons, I try pressing it and making sure it is completely closed, yet I still see small stream of water going into the toilet bowl. So, I am not sure even I replace that plastic cover would help. Does anyone have any clue what the problem is ?

Thanks for any advice.
17 replies
Oct 2, 2013
620 posts
273 upvotes
Montreal
I change every 5-7 years the following on all my toilets:
- flapper
- fill valve
- overflow tube
- the seal between the bowl and the toilet
- the pipe between the fill valve and the valve in the wall

You can get all the above for 20$ and do it under 30 minutes.
Aug 7, 2006
120 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
This. Had this same issue with toilets 4-5 yrs old. Replacing the flapper in one fixed it and the fill valve in another. To test, I would take parts from a working toilet to try on the broken so I knew what to buy.
SquadG wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 12:16 pm
I change every 5-7 years the following on all my toilets:
- flapper
- fill valve
- overflow tube
- the seal between the bowl and the toilet
- the pipe between the fill valve and the valve in the wall

You can get all the above for 20$ and do it under 30 minutes.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2232 posts
789 upvotes
mclazy wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 12:52 pm
This. Had this same issue with toilets 4-5 yrs old. Replacing the flapper in one fixed it and the fill valve in another. To test, I would take parts from a working toilet to try on the broken so I knew what to buy.
Seems like a waste of time. If the water is entering the bowl from the overflow tube it's the fill valve and if it's not then it's the flapper.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
1588 posts
731 upvotes
Richmond
Look in the tank. If the water level is all the way up to the top of the overflow spill tube, then your problem is probably that the fill valve is not shutting off all the way, and water is constantly flowing in and spilling down the overflow tube into the toilet bowl, bypassing the flapper valve. In that case it could be a leaky fill valve that won't shut off all the way, or it could be just a misadjusted float that's letting the water level in the tank rise too high. To replace the fill valve you'll need to shut off the water, drain the tank, disconnect the fill line, and unscrew the old fill valve from from the tank. You need to be sure that the new fill valve fits the tank, and you might want to look for premium model that's extra-quiet and fills the tank rapidly.

If the water level in the tank is not to the top of the overflow tube, then it's the flapper valve at the bottom that's leaking, even if it looks fine. Time to replace it. They wear out every couple of years if the toilet is frequently used. Easy to replace: just drain the tank and don't let it fill until you remove and replace the flapper valve with a new one. They're pretty standard.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2232 posts
789 upvotes
Faith24 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 6:05 pm
To replace the fill valve you'll need to shut off the water, drain the tank, disconnect the fill line, and unscrew the old fill valve from from the tank. You need to be sure that the new fill valve fits the tank, and you might want to look for premium model that's extra-quiet and fills the tank rapidly.
Or you could just get a repair kit for your existing fill valve and be done in a few minutes.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
9666 posts
308 upvotes
Brampton
pootza wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 6:27 pm
Or you could just get a repair kit for your existing fill valve and be done in a few minutes.
The old style fill valve is so crappy when compared to the newer no-float design. Op's toilet will be a lot quieter when the tank fills and it will refill faster too. I installed the new style in a toilet of mine and I would never buy those old style fill valves again, very outdated.
May 13, 2007
19 posts
5 upvotes
Lake of the Woods
Great reply by Faith24 - covers the details nicely. I recently had this problem of a continuously 'running' toilet. It was hard to see the water entering the bowl, but the tank was slowly over filling (after it seemed to shutoff from a refill) until the overflow tube would dump the excess water into the bowl. With the tank lid off one could hear a slight hiss from the Fluidmaster valve assembly. Turned out that this cleaning procedure resolved the problem in a few minutes.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5619 posts
243 upvotes
BC
cheapmeister wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 6:51 pm
The old style fill valve is so crappy when compared to the newer no-float design. Op's toilet will be a lot quieter when the tank fills and it will refill faster too. I installed the new style in a toilet of mine and I would never buy those old style fill valves again, very outdated.
This.

Always problems with our old style toilet, not one with the new one and its been 5+ years that we've had it.
That's my 2cents worth
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7142 posts
338 upvotes
Thanks for the info. I did check the water level and it is way below the top of the tube, maybe half a cm below the water mark line (there is a black line) on the tube. Based on my understanding, there are only two places that the water can go into the toilet bowl. It is either the over spill tube or where the flapper covers. Am I correct ? You are probably right about the flapper, I have been using this toilet since I moved in 9 years ago, probably need to replace the flapper even there is no visual damage.
Faith24 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 6:05 pm
Look in the tank. If the water level is all the way up to the top of the overflow spill tube, then your problem is probably that the fill valve is not shutting off all the way, and water is constantly flowing in and spilling down the overflow tube into the toilet bowl, bypassing the flapper valve. In that case it could be a leaky fill valve that won't shut off all the way, or it could be just a misadjusted float that's letting the water level in the tank rise too high. To replace the fill valve you'll need to shut off the water, drain the tank, disconnect the fill line, and unscrew the old fill valve from from the tank. You need to be sure that the new fill valve fits the tank, and you might want to look for premium model that's extra-quiet and fills the tank rapidly.

If the water level in the tank is not to the top of the overflow tube, then it's the flapper valve at the bottom that's leaking, even if it looks fine. Time to replace it. They wear out every couple of years if the toilet is frequently used. Easy to replace: just drain the tank and don't let it fill until you remove and replace the flapper valve with a new one. They're pretty standard.
Oct 2, 2013
620 posts
273 upvotes
Montreal
rdx wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 8:21 am
Thanks for the info. I did check the water level and it is way below the top of the tube, maybe half a cm below the water mark line (there is a black line) on the tube. Based on my understanding, there are only two places that the water can go into the toilet bowl. It is either the over spill tube or where the flapper covers. Am I correct ? You are probably right about the flapper, I have been using this toilet since I moved in 9 years ago, probably need to replace the flapper even there is no visual damage.
Replace the flapper to start. A good one is 5$. I recommend the Moen flapper.

The water may drip between the overfill tube seal and the toilet bowl seal... happened to me before once.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7142 posts
338 upvotes
SquadG wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 8:37 am
The water may drip between the overfill tube seal and the toilet bowl seal... happened to me before once.
If it is really the case, do I need to replace the overfill tube ? Is it easy to replace ? Thanks
Oct 2, 2013
620 posts
273 upvotes
Montreal
rdx wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 8:52 am
If it is really the case, do I need to replace the overfill tube ? Is it easy to replace ? Thanks
You have to remove all hardware in the water tank (fill valve, flapper). Next, you would remove the two nylon screws found under the tank (make sure it's dry in there first). The water tank will come free and the seal seat between the bowl and the tank. Just make sure when you put back the nylon screw in, you do not torque it too much... you do not want the tank to crack.

The first time I did that it took me 30 minutes from start to finish... all you need is patience and if you have a problem, check YouTube. It's really not that hard.

All you need is a good pair of vise grip and a flathead screwdriver (farily large is recommended).