• May 6th, 2017 11:54 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
1810 posts
895 upvotes
Richmond
rdx wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 8:52 am
If it is really the case, do I need to replace the overfill tube ? Is it easy to replace ? Thanks
The overflow tube attaches to the flapper valve base - it's all one unit bolted into the drain hole in the bottom of the toilet tank. But it's very rare for the base itself to develop a leak, while the flapper needs replacing every couple of years as it starts to leak a little. Just buy a replacement flapper - they're cheap, and it's not like you won't need one in the future anyway.

Everyone should do a leak check on their toilets at least once a month to prevent an unexpected jump in your water bill. All you need to do is adjust your angle of view of the toilet bowl until you can see a reflected light shining off the surface of the water. Move around to see all parts of the water edge. If you see the tiniest ripple in the reflection, your toilet is leaking. Another way is to put a few drops of food dye in the tank and see if the colour shows up in the bowl, but there's really no need for that - the reflection check is quicker.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7233 posts
365 upvotes
I went to Lowe's and chatted with the plumber guy there, he said I should bring the flapper over and make sure I get the right replacement. He actually suggested to try cleaning the dirt and calcium built up around it as it might solve the leaking issue. So, I took the flapper out, it wasn't too dirty but I cleaned it anyway. I do see some white mark on it, I guess the rubber is getting old. After I cleaned it and put it back, it actually leaks more than before......... I guess it is time to replace the flapper. Hopefully, I can find the right fit. What I notice is that, visually there could be nothing breaks or wrong with the existing flapper, but it could leak. Like for my case, it leaks different amount of water before and after the clean up.........
Jun 13, 2007
40 posts
2 upvotes
Nice easy flapper job, also check your fill valve and braided line while you are in there.
[removed]
Last edited by Mars2012 on May 6th, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: self promotion and solicitation is not permitted