• Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2016 3:59 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
2848 posts
327 upvotes
rocking23nf wrote: that house needs new siding. that looks terrible and worn, you can see silicon trying to solve the leak problem on the second photo. its easy to blame the window installers, but conversations might have been said 5 years ago that we aren't told about.
... First of all, they are the ones that smeared the silicon all over everything, not us. Secondly, the Windows NEVER leaked until these new ones were installed, and then ALL of them leaked. So even if the siding was bad, it wasnt THAT BAD that the Windows leaked. Even where the siding is in good shape (the top Windows, where its more protected by the roof) the Windows STILL leak.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
2848 posts
327 upvotes
Faith24 wrote: Your chances of getting anything out of the original contractor after 5 years are pretty slim. Probably your best bet is to ask some other contractors to come over and take a look, figure out what's wrong if they can, and give you an estimate to repair. If they confirm that the original contractor screwed up the installation, and you have some record of continuous complaints going back 5 years, then you can always try to get some compensation - but don't count on it.

When it rains and the wind blows, the outside wall of your house inevitably gets wet, although the roof overhang diverts the worst of it. That water runs down the wall to the ground, looking for some way to penetrate the water barrier of the wall. It's not only the outer siding of the house that acts as a barrier, especially if you have cedar siding as it appears you do - there's an underlay that acts as an extra water barrier underneath the siding where it's not exposed to wear and tear. So even if the siding is not in great shape, its job as it ages is mainly to act as a physical barrier to prevent anything from tearing holes in the hidden underlay.

Obviously a window is a hole in the wall where water running down the wall could get into the house. The normal way to prevent that is to have flashing along the top that was installed underneath the wall underlay and diverts all the water out and around the window. Unfortunately you can't retrofit such flashing if it wasn't installed in the first place without tearing into the wall above the window a bit, which would require replacing that part of the siding. Caulking to seal the gap between the window and the wall is a poor substitute. It can work for a while if done properly, but it tends to develop holes after a while if it's exposed. Think about the path of the water - if it is running down the wall, potentially under the siding and on top of the underlay, then the caulking has to be completely sealed against the underlay, and diverting all the water somewhere that it will run to the outside of the wall. It sure doesn't look like you have that. That strip of wood across the top that's attempting to act as a water barrier in place of flashing is on top of the siding. Any water running down the wall between the siding and the underlay is sliding right past it.
Doing my best to try to understand what you are saying... OK so are you saying that the flashing is suppose to go as deep as the plywood? So it goes Plywood > Weather protective barrier > Siding, right? So, should that flashing thats sticking out, should be deeper in the wall?

if they were installing new Windows, couldn't they have installed the flashing properly at that point, then? Wouldn't that type of thing be part of the NEW WINDOW installation process?

The owner of the company is going to schedule to come see whats going on (although its a relatively small company) so I want to try to learn a bit about this so I know what I am talking about. I do not think we have great siding, but what I have said again and again before is that the old Windows never leaked, and after the FIRST rainfall after the new Windows were installed, every single Window leaked, even the one on the back side of the house. They smeared caulking all over the Window in the back, and then it stopped leaking. But what does that prove? Obviously if you smear caulking all over every hole water wont be able to get in, that doesnt mean that it was installed right. You shouldnt need caulking all over the outisde of your windows so they dont leak, right? I'm not even convinced the backwindows have flashing, nor the ones at the roof? Should they have flashing too?
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
2848 posts
327 upvotes
Let me ask you guys this: Lets say there was no siding. But there is a weather proof barrier, should your Windows actually leak around the edges, then? Is the purpose of the siding to stop the majority of the water, but shouldn't the Windows be sealed properly, regardless of the siding?
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
2848 posts
327 upvotes
Pootza, yes that side also leaked until they smeared caulking all over the outside of the Windows.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32143 posts
15423 upvotes
Socially Distanced
So if the owner is coming by thats good, though don't expect much. Before then do these things, use a hose on every window and see if it leaks and get another reputable company to come and determine the cause of leakage. This will cost a few bucks, its worth it.
Did you speak with the lawyer/paralegal i suggested. Do this before the owner comes, know your options going in. Perhaps record the interaction with the owner on your cell phone, ask the lawyer if this is legal in your jurisdiction.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1461 upvotes
Richmond
What you want is the diagram on the left. What you have is the diagram on the right.
Flashing.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
Faith24 wrote: What you want is the diagram on the left. What you have is the diagram on the right.

Flashing.jpg
What's that brown metal stuff sticking out of the top of the windows .. OMG I think it may be flashing.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
2848 posts
327 upvotes
pootza wrote:
Faith24 wrote: What you want is the diagram on the left. What you have is the diagram on the right.

Flashing.jpg
What's that brown metal stuff sticking out of the top of the windows .. OMG I think it may be flashing.
That's the flashing that came with the old Windows, which were shaped completely different and were much deeper into the walls than these ones. I am pretty sure that flashing isn't even installed properly, nor is it the right size/shape for the Windows I believe...
Last edited by RFDdietpepsi on Sep 6th, 2016 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
2848 posts
327 upvotes
Not sure if my picture shows it, but some of the Windows are deep in the house and others are jutting out more, one isn't even installed straight, its at an angle... give me a break... the back Window leaked too, where our "siding" was stucco, and it only stopped leaking after they put caulking all over it. Thats like saying it was installed right because I put an umbrella over top of my Windows, see now they dont leak!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
I was only pointing out to the other member when they said there was no flashing on the windows and it seems there is flashing on the windows. You have some sort of problem with that?

vorthex wrote: You seem like some sort of shill trying to blame everything but the Window installation.
You seem to be some sort of homeowner which is blaming everything on the installation.
vorthex wrote: Did my siding magically rot away into oblivion for every single Window in the house a few days after installation?
It seems apparent from your other threads that you have all sorts of problems with this house, even other water/mold problems, as it looks as though you fail to look after anything even when the problems arise. You seemed to have brought up your other problems on this site when they arise so why did you wait 5 years to bring up this problem?

By the way, who supplied the windows and are they the proper type of window for the application seeing as they are half into the basement cement wall and half way into the wall with siding?
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3566 posts
1038 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
I modified the diagram faith24 posted. maybe this is what you have.

Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
2848 posts
327 upvotes
pootza wrote: I was only pointing out to the other member when they said there was no flashing on the windows and it seems there is flashing on the windows. You have some sort of problem with that?

vorthex wrote: You seem like some sort of shill trying to blame everything but the Window installation.
You seem to be some sort of homeowner which is blaming everything on the installation.
vorthex wrote: Did my siding magically rot away into oblivion for every single Window in the house a few days after installation?
It seems apparent from your other threads that you have all sorts of problems with this house, even other water/mold problems, as it looks as though you fail to look after anything even when the problems arise. You seemed to have brought up your other problems on this site when they arise so why did you wait 5 years to bring up this problem?

By the way, who supplied the windows and are they the proper type of window for the application seeing as they are half into the basement cement wall and half way into the wall with siding?
Because you are being obnoxious, and not really trying to help. I tell you that the siding was never a problem until the new Windows were installed, and they leaked after the first rainfall after, every single Window in the house. Even where the siding is in good condition, near the roof, the Windows leaked. And then you blame the siding. And then you ask if the back Window leaked too, because you want to continue to blame the siding.

And the Windows, clearly are not even installed properly even if they were the right Windows anyways. One is at an angle, the other one juts far out, the other one is deep in the walls. So how are you trying to help me again? By relentlessly blaming the siding? Explain to me every single Window should leak, even on the back of the house where it was stucco, after the first rain fall, when the new windows were installed???

In reply to your question I am not sure whether they are the "right" Windows or not. I am not an expert in the field, I can only speculate based on reasonable things I notice. What I do know, is they are not even consistent with themselves... so I find that really unusual, and am speculating thats wrong. How do I know if they are the right type of Windows, or right size? This is a good question.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
2848 posts
327 upvotes
Kevinck wrote: I modified the diagram faith24 posted. maybe this is what you have.

I do not think there is even flashing on the back Window. And that would be too much of a coincidence, since every single Window has leaked. Or maybe there is no flashing and or all the flashing that is there is installed wrong, thats possible. But regardless, some are in at an angle, and others are deep in the house and others jutting out...