• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2019 5:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7945 posts
497 upvotes

Water pressure/supply drops at home all the sudden

We notice the water pressure/supply drops at home all the sudden. Sometimes we can't even turn on two showers at the same time. Wonder what is causing that ? City changes the water supply flow ???

Thanks for any advice.
36 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9641 posts
8591 upvotes
Oakville
What time of day does it happen? Your city line pressure will drop when all of your neighbours are also using water (so mornings and evenings).
Would help if you posted what city you're in.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
1544 posts
981 upvotes
How old is the home?

Do you have a pressure regulator on the incoming line just past the water meter?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7945 posts
497 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 2:36 pm
What time of day does it happen? Your city line pressure will drop when all of your neighbours are also using water (so mornings and evenings).
Would help if you posted what city you're in.
In city of Vaughan. I didn't check all time periods, but in general we take shower in the evening and that's cool when we notice the drop.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7945 posts
497 upvotes
Jojo_Madman wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 4:50 pm
How old is the home?

Do you have a pressure regulator on the incoming line just past the water meter?

10 years old. Not sure if we have a pressure regulator. How does it look like ? and where is it usually installed?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
1544 posts
981 upvotes
rdx wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 8:44 pm
10 years old. Not sure if we have a pressure regulator. How does it look like ? and where is it usually installed?
Google it and my question had the answer to your second question
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7945 posts
497 upvotes
LttlScamp wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 7:52 pm
Do you have a water softener?
Yes, I do. What do I need to check ?
Jan 18, 2005
210 posts
23 upvotes
Waterloo
How old is it? Over time the resin beads inside break down and can cause restricted water flow and a drop in pressure.

There is usually a bypass valve in the back where the supply and output lines connect to the tank. If you throw it into bypass and your pressure problem goes away that’s probably it.

Happened to me last year and was my problem as well.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2449 posts
1299 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Does the pressure drop only when two people are showering?
Do you have a hot water tank?
Do both the hot and the cold drop pressure, or just the hot? If your showers have pressure balancing valves, you will only experience pressure not temperature drop, so you won't be able to tell. Check a laundry or kitchen sink.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7945 posts
497 upvotes
Our water softener is ten years old. By the way, do we need to replace the entire resin tank every certain year ?

Thanks
LttlScamp wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 11:39 pm
How old is it? Over time the resin beads inside break down and can cause restricted water flow and a drop in pressure.

There is usually a bypass valve in the back where the supply and output lines connect to the tank. If you throw it into bypass and your pressure problem goes away that’s probably it.

Happened to me last year and was my problem as well.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7945 posts
497 upvotes
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 9:33 am
Does the pressure drop only when two people are showering?
Do you have a hot water tank?
Do both the hot and the cold drop pressure, or just the hot? If your showers have pressure balancing valves, you will only experience pressure not temperature drop, so you won't be able to tell. Check a laundry or kitchen sink.
We use tankless. Both hot and cold water pressure drops when multiple showers are running, and or flushing toilet, etc
Apr 17, 2016
115 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
What is your incoming main water service size? 1/2"? 3/4"?

Mine used to be 1/2" and only one tap/faucet/shower could be used at a time or else pressure would drastically drop when a second was opened.

We had service replaced from city with 3/4" and no longer have any issues with water pressure when multiple devices are used at once.