• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2017 8:25 pm
Nov 8, 2014
47 posts
3 upvotes
Maple, ON
Gee wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 10:34 pm
I have the 4040s Over Drive system. I paid $5000 for it back in 2012 at Costco. The Reverse Osmosis unit was an extra $2500. It is the top of the line system. 10 year warranty.

It is a whole house system and the Reverse Osomsis system supplies water to the refrigerator and a tap in the kitchen sink.

I go through 4 bags of salt a year and the filters for the reverse osmosis cost me $150 a year.

I’ve had it for 5 years, I’ve moved and I think I need a different unit. My new home has a lot of iron in the water. Time to upgrade.
Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12076 posts
1888 upvotes
London
rant on...
I am forced to repeat 100x " Do not buy a big box store water softener.....Do not buy a big box store water softener...Do not buy....."

I just spent hours last night trying to get the $@#* junk softener to run properly. The cheapie plastic control valve is slightly warped. If I tighten it properly, it jams up. If I loosen it so it works freely, it leaks like crazy. You have to get the bolt torque just right so it can work freely, but not leak. Sometimes it will run for an hour, then suddenly develop a massive leak. Valve repair/overhaul parts can be obtained, but the same problem will reoccur in a few years

These softener are made using the same design under many brand names like Kenmore/Sears, GE, Whirlpool, etc, and sold in big box retailers for under $1K.

They are recognizable as a single "all in one" plastic tank that holds the salt, about the size of a tall skinny garbage can. There's actually a second internal fiberglass tank inside which holds the resin

These are like the Lada or Hyundai Pony of water softeners. They are inexpensive, easy to install and work great when brand new. After a few years, they will break in weird ways.

You can keep throwing parts in to keep it working, or just buy a softener that's reliable in first place
rant off..
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
1068 posts
177 upvotes
Waterloo
l69norm wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 9:59 am
rant on...
I am forced to repeat 100x " Do not buy a big box store water softener.....Do not buy a big box store water softener...Do not buy....."

I just spent hours last night trying to get the $@#* junk softener to run properly. The cheapie plastic control valve is slightly warped. If I tighten it properly, it jams up. If I loosen it so it works freely, it leaks like crazy. You have to get the bolt torque just right so it can work freely, but not leak. Sometimes it will run for an hour, then suddenly develop a massive leak. Valve repair/overhaul parts can be obtained, but the same problem will reoccur in a few years

These softener are made using the same design under many brand names like Kenmore/Sears, GE, Whirlpool, etc, and sold in big box retailers for under $1K.

They are recognizable as a single "all in one" plastic tank that holds the salt, about the size of a tall skinny garbage can. There's actually a second internal fiberglass tank inside which holds the resin

These are like the Lada or Hyundai Pony of water softeners. They are inexpensive, easy to install and work great when brand new. After a few years, they will break in weird ways.

You can keep throwing parts in to keep it working, or just buy a softener that's reliable in first place
rant off..
+1

Here here!
[OP]
May 10, 2006
884 posts
302 upvotes
Toronto
Blitzo wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 8:37 am
What city do you live in? It might be wise to get a separate whole house carbon filter or a combination softener with both resin and carbon media to remove chlorine if your family suffers from eczema.
I live in Toronto. So is that an additional cost to be added to the cost of the water softener?
Mobile: $40 - Telus Student 50 Plan MTM ($10 BYOD) - 500 mins anytime, eve/wknds @ 5PM, 5GB data, unl text, FAV10, CID and VM25
Cable/Internet: $104+tax - VIP, Gigabit, PVR, HD Box
Home Phone: $0 - Obi200/FPL with Google Voice (free call Can/US)
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
1068 posts
177 upvotes
Waterloo
jigsatics wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 2:51 pm
I live in Toronto. So is that an additional cost to be added to the cost of the water softener?
You don't REALLY need a softener in Toronto, but if you did get one, I would recommend the Chlor-a-soft. If you aren't too concerned about the slight hardness in Toronto, then just a whole house carbon filter would suffice.
Dec 22, 2016
19 posts
2 upvotes
It seems like the common thought is that people soften water to improve showering. I realize that dry skin is an issue but I have found it pretty annoying to shower using soft water since I never really feel clean. Also the taste of soft water is terrible.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25452 posts
2762 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Daisy91 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 10:00 pm
It seems like the common thought is that people soften water to improve showering. I realize that dry skin is an issue but I have found it pretty annoying to shower using soft water since I never really feel clean. Also the taste of soft water is terrible.
Start by using less soap and shampoo. When I first installed a water softener, I felt grimy after a shower. Once you adjust to it by using the proper amount of soap, it is fine.

Soft water just tastes a little salty.
Mar 19, 2013
595 posts
165 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
Did some research, the hardness of water for Toronto is 7 to 8 grains per gallon. 10 grains is considered very hard. I have grown up all my life with soft water(57 years). Love it for many reasons. True soft water is 0 grains per gallon. OP you live in Toronto, your municipal water is fine for drinking. Several millions are drinking the water. Again my cold kitchen water, refrigerator ice/water, outside tap is raw municipal water. Everything else soft. Municipal treated water will have no iron. Your water using appliances, faucets, skin will thank you. Yes it takes some time for a human to get used of it.

Fleck or Clack. Less than $1000. Have had mine for 7 years. Programable, highly efficient. 6 bags of salt/year. 20 grains per gallon hardness. The softner produces 0 grains per gallon. True soft water. @
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
1068 posts
177 upvotes
Waterloo
Magoo61 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 12:48 am
Did some research, the hardness of water for Toronto is 7 to 8 grains per gallon. 10 grains is considered very hard. I have grown up all my life with soft water(57 years). Love it for many reasons. True soft water is 0 grains per gallon. OP you live in Toronto, your municipal water is fine for drinking. Several millions are drinking the water. Again my cold kitchen water, refrigerator ice/water, outside tap is raw municipal water. Everything else soft. Municipal treated water will have no iron. Your water using appliances, faucets, skin will thank you. Yes it takes some time for a human to get used of it.

Fleck or Clack. Less than $1000. Have had mine for 7 years. Programable, highly efficient. 6 bags of salt/year. 20 grains per gallon hardness. The softner produces 0 grains per gallon. True soft water. @
Make sure you get a water softener that has North American made resin. 80% of softeners have resin made overseas that don't last very long. Aldex is a very good Canadian brand resin. Make sure to ask the company what brand of resin and what the percentage of cross-linking is. 8-10% is ideal.
Dec 28, 2010
25 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
jigsatics wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 4:38 pm
Hi,

I'm looking at getting a water softener for our house and there are a lot of types out there as well as brands.
  • Which brands should I look for and how much do they typically cost?
  • How much does installation cost?
  • We drink tap water (filtered by Brita). Does softened water taste different?
Hi Jigsatics,

I am also looking for a whole house water softener. Any brands you have shortlisted and the prices.