None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
1056 posts
166 upvotes
Waterloo

Water Softener Discussion

This is a discussion about water softener contractors and installation companies.
717 replies
Mar 4, 2003
378 posts
47 upvotes
Newmarket
You do realise that the more you gush, the more it sounds like a commercial. Go easy, and let the RFD community take over.

BTW, there's no sale at Sears.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9103 posts
3202 upvotes
Ottawa
Vince Offer is that you? Welcome to the boards.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
1056 posts
166 upvotes
Waterloo
Beware of service issues related to installation and service of companies. Been burned and i cannot get my softener serviced.
Sep 22, 2006
544 posts
12 upvotes
Blitzo wrote:
Nov 4th, 2010 3:39 pm
Sears had a sale last weekend. It might have ended.

Best value at Sears is usually the $1,599 unit on for $999 (best one-time price was 899, IIRC). Installation is around $275, if I'm not mistaken. So, if you are happy with the Excalibur Chloro-Soft unit and service, then by all means it is a good deal.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
1056 posts
166 upvotes
Waterloo
zander wrote:
Nov 4th, 2010 3:51 pm
Best value at Sears is usually the $1,599 unit on for $999 (best one-time price was 899, IIRC). Installation is around $275, if I'm not mistaken. So, if you are happy with the Excalibur Chloro-Soft unit and service, then by all means it is a good deal.

Ya, the one at sears I was looking at was the 400 series. Regular $1,250 I think was on sale for $850 +tax. And ya, installation was extra. But it didn't have an active carbon filter for removing chlorine.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2005
4929 posts
244 upvotes
Stoney Creek
Thanks Blitzo. I certainly appreciate posts like yours. Much better than the "does it hot" (getting really old) threads stinking up the place. I'm actually in the market for a softener myself and this guy is close by. Did you have an old unit removed? I have an old softener that's never worked since I moved in and want to get it replaced.
Feb 2, 2004
328 posts
18 upvotes
h00ch wrote:
Nov 5th, 2010 3:11 pm
Thanks Blitzo. I certainly appreciate posts like yours. Much better than the "does it hot" (getting really old) threads stinking up the place. I'm actually in the market for a softener myself and this guy is close by. Did you have an old unit removed? I have an old softener that's never worked since I moved in and want to get it replaced.

Agreed on the "Does it Hot..." posts, I mean we all get the joke but it's so old that it's almost irritating to see posts that start like that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
1056 posts
166 upvotes
Waterloo
h00ch wrote:
Nov 5th, 2010 3:11 pm

Thanks Hooch. Its nice to be able to get positive comments from time to time.

We didn't have a water softener in our house.
Oct 2, 2007
342 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
I ordered one as well. Can't beat the price, even compared to other Excalibur chlora-soft dealers.

Great find and thanks for the deal again!
Oct 2, 2007
342 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
cynick wrote:
Nov 15th, 2010 3:36 pm
I ordered one as well. Can't beat the price, even compared to other Excalibur chlora-soft dealers.

Great find and thanks for the deal again!

Just got it installed yesterday and am pretty happy with the results so far. Peter Cameron knows his stuff well.
I had called in advance the manufacturer of the softener, located in Barrie, and they confirmed Peter as one of their dealers. They gave me a list of a couple of more dealers, and when I called them - these guys quoted me 1300+299 installation=$1600 for the same unit. I'd say $1100 is a much better price that includes installation.

The only downside in the lifetime warranty, is that it's not transferable when you sell your house. But, you can take your unit with you to your new house if you decide - it's very easy to disconnect from the shut-off valve.

Two thumbs up for www.waterworkcompany.com and Peter Cameron..
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2001
3785 posts
269 upvotes
Kitchener
Blitzo wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2010 1:05 pm
Glad you cashed in on the deal. I just had a reverse osmosis unit installed by him yesterday. We used to drink two 1.5L bottle of Dasani water per day. Works out to about $90 per month. The reverse osmosis system will pay for itself in under 4 months.

Hi Blitzo, first of all ignore trolls as they feed off pissing off people who actually make a contribution to this site..

I am in K-W and looking to get a softener installed so I have a few questions, what is the model of this softener and how many grains.

I am new to water softeners so can you tell me if there is also a saving on the long run using this unit compared with the cheapo ones from Sears and HD?

It is not worth getting irritated, it is not worth it.... Wish everyone happiness, and you yourself will be happy.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2003
5808 posts
692 upvotes
look30 wrote:
Nov 24th, 2010 11:24 am
Hi Blitzo, first of all ignore trolls as they feed off pissing off people who actually make a contribution to this site..

I am in K-W and looking to get a softener installed so I have a few questions, what is the model of this softener and how many grains.

I am new to water softeners so can you tell me if there is also a saving on the long run using this unit compared with the cheapo ones from Sears and HD?
+1. I'm in Kitchener so I'm wondering if Peter can make a trip out this far.
------He who dares, Rodders, he who dares------

Heatware Feedback eBay Feedback
X360 Live Gamertag: Frenzied360
Jun 28, 2004
444 posts
35 upvotes
not counting the chlorine filtering, is there any difference between different water softeners? I'm looking for one, don't really need the bell and whistles, just water softening. I see 30,000 grain units at lowe's for $600...how does that compare to the units at sears?