• Mar 26th, 2024 10:10 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12694 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
I had a $800 Sears jobbie in our first house locally and in this one there is a 3K+ Culligan unit. The Culy holds more salt... that is literally the only difference I have found.
Mar 27, 2011
282 posts
99 upvotes
Just had Mike from Purisoft install a 62K Chlor-A-Soft water softener and a 5 stage R/O system. Overall a great experience, very clean install and a really honest and down to earth guy.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2004
2857 posts
507 upvotes
Ontario GTA
ShakDiesel wrote: Just had Mike from Purisoft install a 62K Chlor-A-Soft water softener and a 5 stage R/O system. Overall a great experience, very clean install and a really honest and down to earth guy.
how much was it to get installed?
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3320 posts
1214 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
Just bought a townhouse in the guelph area. House is roughly 1300 sqft and has 3.5 baths. Looking to install a decent quality unit, but don't want to spend too much. We had Culligan give us an estimate of $1800 installed which sounds like a bit much. Anyone have any ideas on what i should be looking at?
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
1258 posts
287 upvotes
Ontario
bargain man wrote: Just bought a townhouse in the guelph area. House is roughly 1300 sqft and has 3.5 baths. Looking to install a decent quality unit, but don't want to spend too much. We had Culligan give us an estimate of $1800 installed which sounds like a bit much. Anyone have any ideas on what i should be looking at?
How many people live in your home?
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
1258 posts
287 upvotes
Ontario
bargain man wrote: also found this on amazon.com, it seems as though this has pretty good reviews as well. Found that it's much cheaper in the states, might be easier to buy there and bring it over.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G ... lab-20#Ask
Thats roughly $800 CAD +tax/duty. You need to have it shipped to a US address. Then you need to install yourself or pay someone to do it.

It doesn't say where the resin is made and what quality it is (% cross-linking, finemesh, etc). This is very important in how long the softener will last.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3320 posts
1214 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
Blitzo wrote: Thats roughly $800 CAD +tax/duty. You need to have it shipped to a US address. Then you need to install yourself or pay someone to do it.

It doesn't say where the resin is made and what quality it is (% cross-linking, finemesh, etc). This is very important in how long the softener will last.
So what would you recommend? Currently its just myself and my wife that will be living in the house. Later on we might consider renting out the house as well, which is also why I do not want to spend too much.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
1258 posts
287 upvotes
Ontario
bargain man wrote: So what would you recommend? Currently its just myself and my wife that will be living in the house. Later on we might consider renting out the house as well, which is also why I do not want to spend too much.
What city do you live in and in what area?

For just the two of you a 30k capacity is enough. If you want to provision for 4 people you may need a bigger unit depending on your location (water hardness). I am also assuming you are on city water.
Dec 4, 2016
17 posts
2 upvotes
Grinning Face With Smiling EyesA few questions
Could i install the softener by myself? if I alter the water pipe, if i need the city or other professional inspected the work done?
I am so confused about the calculation about how much the capacity do i need to get.
i was told that if I buy higher capacity like 48000 60000 grain, i could use less salt to recharge. cuz recharging the half capacity is much more efficient than recharging the whole system. is that correct?

I am using 250 gallon/day. york region website states that the hardness of Aurora is around5-8 grains, I wonder how many grain should i get?

http://www.costco.ca/Vitapur%C2%AE-Whol ... 55718.html
hows this system? can i reduce chlorine and iron?
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3320 posts
1214 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
Blitzo wrote: What city do you live in and in what area?

For just the two of you a 30k capacity is enough. If you want to provision for 4 people you may need a bigger unit depending on your location (water hardness). I am also assuming you are on city water.
We are located in Guelph, and yes running off of city water. I was looking to provision as you said for 4 people which is why i was looking at 48K capacity for some overhead.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
1258 posts
287 upvotes
Ontario
bargain man wrote: We are located in Guelph, and yes running off of city water. I was looking to provision as you said for 4 people which is why i was looking at 48K capacity for some overhead.
A 40k is enough for 4 people in guelph. A metered softener would regen roughly once per week.
Dec 15, 2016
1 posts
Dhajjs wrote: Grinning Face With Smiling EyesA few questions
Could i install the softener by myself? if I alter the water pipe, if i need the city or other professional inspected the work done?
I am so confused about the calculation about how much the capacity do i need to get.
i was told that if I buy higher capacity like 48000 60000 grain, i could use less salt to recharge. cuz recharging the half capacity is much more efficient than recharging the whole system. is that correct?

I am using 250 gallon/day. york region website states that the hardness of Aurora is around5-8 grains, I wonder how many grain should i get?

http://www.costco.ca/Vitapur%C2%AE-Whol ... 55718.html
hows this system? can i reduce chlorine and iron?
You shouldn't get anything more than a 30k grain softener. It will not regenerate often enough and you will end up with salt bridging issues.

Mike
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
1258 posts
287 upvotes
Ontario
Crystalflow wrote: You shouldn't get anything more than a 30k grain softener. It will not regenerate often enough and you will end up with salt bridging issues.

Mike
I agree with Mike here. York region has a hardness of 9 to 15 gpg. Don't need more than 30k capacity for residential use.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
2684 posts
1403 upvotes
Woodbridge
Kind of curious but how much water would you say these water softeners waste? I assume this happens during the regen cycle?

Lobo
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
1258 posts
287 upvotes
Ontario
lobo wrote: Kind of curious but how much water would you say these water softeners waste? I assume this happens during the regen cycle?

Lobo
Usually 40 to 60 usg per regen (depends on size and control valve).
Jan 5, 2017
1 posts
Does any one know the difference between a single resin unit and a double tank unit? Why are the tanks one so much more expensive? Is it better?

Also, has anyone tried the Vitapur Home Water Softener? http://www.costco.ca/Vitapur®-Whole-Hom ... 55718.html I'm thinking about buying it but not sure if I would be able to install myself. Thanks!