Water softener installer

• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2017 11:14 am
[OP]
Mar 7, 2005
564 posts
80 upvotes

Water softener installer

Hello all. I'm planning to buy the water softener sold at Costco and am looking to find a plumber to install it for me. It's a new house, so the input water line is not the older copper piping and is 1". Before I start calling around myself and randomly picking one, I'd like to hear recommendations from people who have hired someone to do just this in the past. Looking for re-plumbing of the main line to this unit as well as an external bypass valve (rather than relying on the one on the unit).

Thanks!

Edit: located in Maple, Ontario
Last edited by to_vento on Mar 15th, 2017 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14 replies
Jul 2, 2013
143 posts
9 upvotes
to_vento wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 12:24 pm
Hello all. I'm planning to buy the water softener sold at Costco and am looking to find a plumber to install it for me. It's a new house, so the input water line is not the older copper piping and is 1". Before I start calling around myself and randomly picking one, I'd like to hear recommendations from people who have hired someone to do just this in the past. Looking for re-plumbing of the main line to this unit as well as an external bypass valve (rather than relying on the one on the unit).

Thanks!
Posting your location would help to start.
[OP]
Mar 7, 2005
564 posts
80 upvotes
lehmanr wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 3:39 pm
Posting your location would help to start.
Very true. Location is Maple, Ontario.
Jan 16, 2007
552 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
If it's an unfinished basement, you can do it yourself. If it's using the plastic tubing, it's even easier. No need for soldering.
Jun 1, 2011
386 posts
39 upvotes
Ajax
My opologies, not trying to side track this thread. I'm looking at buying a Water softener as well, but Costco Ajax told me they don't sell it anymore since 2015.

Can you please confirm the item number, so I can call and inquiry

Thank you
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2006
6918 posts
1208 upvotes
Brampton
The costco unit is not a particularly good unit. Few family members have it. Broke for various reasons
It was branded Watts premier back then but from I can see the physically unit isn't different. Just different branding.
[OP]
Mar 7, 2005
564 posts
80 upvotes
Been reading mixed things about the costco one. It definitely is a watts premier softener. The model number on the box is AF-40K which corresponds to a premier softener. My issue is that I have 1" line coming into the house and I believe this softener may actually reduce the flow into the home. I'm starting to lean towards going a little more expensive and just do the plumbing myself. Had a lot of calls from various places and Aquatell has been very informative.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
1779 posts
415 upvotes
Paris
to_vento wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 3:22 pm
Been reading mixed things about the costco one. It definitely is a watts premier softener. The model number on the box is AF-40K which corresponds to a premier softener. My issue is that I have 1" line coming into the house and I believe this softener may actually reduce the flow into the home. I'm starting to lean towards going a little more expensive and just do the plumbing myself. Had a lot of calls from various places and Aquatell has been very informative.
My very first home my Dad taught me how to solder pipe and do the plumbing and we were in and out in around 3 hours. With Sharkbite push fittings I bet I could knock one out in 30 mins now and haven't done one in 15 years. 15 mins would be setting the unit in place.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Nov 30, 2011
619 posts
141 upvotes
GTA
vinmatrix wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 6:59 pm
My opologies, not trying to side track this thread. I'm looking at buying a Water softener as well, but Costco Ajax told me they don't sell it anymore since 2015.

Can you please confirm the item number, so I can call and inquiry
Newmarket has them in store for $499. See pic below for item number.
Images
Jun 1, 2011
386 posts
39 upvotes
Ajax
westcoastyvr wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 6:08 pm
Newmarket has them in store for $499. See pic below for item number.
Thank you, I bought the 33000 grain Whirlpool unit from Lowes this weekend for $599.00. No Tax event .

I have calculated and it seems like the 33k would be sufficient for my household. I have a installer (plumber) coming in this Wednesday to hook it up along with a reverse osmosis system.
I have him running the lines from RO system to fridge as well, and bypass the lines for the backyard and garage. I've never used him before, but he was recommended by another plumber that I had used in the past. I will let you know how it goes, PM me for more info regarding the installer
Apr 1, 2013
401 posts
62 upvotes
BC
I have the Costco softener for 3 years. It is Premier AF-40K model. I had optical sensor replaced 3 times. When the sensor fails, water keeps refill and over flow to the floor. There is a over flow tube but the overflow tube is too tiny to be useful.
When optical sensor fails, displays shows Err 3. I called Premier, they send me a free replacement part. I always keep an eye on generation in case it fails again.

I do not recommend Premier AF-40K Costco water softener.
Jun 1, 2011
386 posts
39 upvotes
Ajax
Thank you for the honest review. I have read a few disappointing stories about this unit. I hope the Whirlpool unit from Lowes last longer with no serious issues
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2006
6918 posts
1208 upvotes
Brampton
chekacr9 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 11:28 pm
I have the Costco softener for 3 years. It is Premier AF-40K model. I had optical sensor replaced 3 times. When the sensor fails, water keeps refill and over flow to the floor. There is a over flow tube but the overflow tube is too tiny to be useful.
When optical sensor fails, displays shows Err 3. I called Premier, they send me a free replacement part. I always keep an eye on generation in case it fails again.

That was actually one of the problems my relative had. Good thing his was setup in the basement near the drain.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5893 posts
512 upvotes
SW Ontario
chekacr9 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 11:28 pm

Yikes. Had that problem with an old softener. Currently don't have one but was considering the Costco one or the whirlpool one as it supposedly senses the amount of salt or water to use to conserve which appeals to me. Guess I'm leaning towards the whirlpool one then if we do get one.
May 5, 2017
2 posts
I have the premiere unit as well. Can anyone tell me where the optical sensor gets soldered on to please?
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel