Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5093 posts
755 upvotes
ggweci wrote:
Jan 11th, 2007 10:06 am
Can anyone recommend some brands to go with? I've been looking at the Kientico and Culligan ones, but they are a fair bit pricer than those at Sears. Are they worth the added cost?

Any websites that review models and such?
From what the information I can find, the Kinetico is water pressure powered, uses less salt and wastes up to 75% less water. The Sears models require power (50w 24/7), uses more salt and wastes up to 75 gallons of water per recharge.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2005
1024 posts
46 upvotes
rf134a wrote:
Jan 12th, 2007 12:00 am
From what the information I can find, the Kinetico is water pressure powered, uses less salt and wastes up to 75% less water. The Sears models require power (50w 24/7), uses more salt and wastes up to 75 gallons of water per recharge.
Yeah, I've heard that the Kinetico units are very efficient. Thanks for the exact info. :)
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
2741 posts
91 upvotes
I'm using a Kinetico right now....very good stuff. Not very big compared to the Culligan that I had in my old house. Bought mine in First Markham Place XD
Jan 4, 2007
34 posts
Simpleton, Ontario
I checked out the Kinetico website. Seems to be a decent company, and at first glance their softeners seem to be quite revolutionary. I like the idea that these machines are simpler in design and more efficient.

But I have some concerns, I dont know why, but I think theres a certain amount of marketing spin going on with their products.

More efficient. The 2040 and 2020 units are much much smaller than most Sears units, therefore given the smaller volume of water they process, they would have to use less salt.

How many bags of salt do you normally put into your softener ? It depends very much how hard the water is. My water is not very hard to begin with, so I go through 2 x 20 kg bags of Potassium per year. How many bags do your Kinetico units use.

Recharging. How does the Kinetico unit get rid of all the build up in the resin tank if it only has a small recharge. You dont suppose their letting it build up to the point you have to buy a new unit do you ? Maybe thats just me being too cynical.

No Electricity. Well I suppose you could do without the flowmeter and control board which tells the softener when to recharge and gives you fancy stats about how much water you have used. And if your dont care about flushing the contaminants out of the resin tank, you dont need pumps and controls.

75 Gallons of water on a recharge - well maybe if one of the pipes break, My unit backflushes about 2 gallons a night to get all the contaminants out of the resin tank. At least that what my unnecessary electrical control board is telling me.

And finally if these units are so simple, so efficient, so small and so much better, how come they cost so much !

My apologies, maybe I'm wrong, and Kinetico is the best thing in the water business since sliced bread, but hey, I like my Sears softener, its a decent product. And I got it cheap dammit !
Jul 21, 2006
654 posts
7 upvotes
adrian1170 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2007 10:44 am
How many bags of salt do you normally put into your softener ? It depends very much how hard the water is. My water is not very hard to begin with, so I go through 2 x 20 kg bags of Potassium per year. How many bags do your Kinetico units use.
We have a 4040S system, we have very hard water and we have not even used a full bag of salt in the 2 months we have this system. Our water is a 19.5g on the grain scale which is very hard.
Recharging. How does the Kinetico unit get rid of all the build up in the resin tank if it only has a small recharge. You dont suppose their letting it build up to the point you have to buy a new unit do you ? Maybe thats just me being too cynical.
Kinetico are 2 tank systems, the second tank contains soft water already and this is what is uses as part of the recharge. This means you are not trying to soften water and clean the tank at the same time, you are using soft water to clean the tank, this is why they use less water and salt as they are just simply more efficient in doing it this way.

Jay
Jul 8, 2005
919 posts
104 upvotes
I have read up on the salt-less water softeners (i.e. the line conditioners). They appear to be a scam and I would avoid them like the plague.
Jul 8, 2005
919 posts
104 upvotes
Sears has their softeners on sale again except they seem to be cheaper than last time!

From this week's flyer:

"Save $100-$500 All reg.-priced Kenmore water softeners"

The top model is the 800 and it is obviously now 1000 dollars from 1500, which is a better deal than the last sale by 170 bucks!

I am not sure I need the top model for a two-person household that may one day be a four-person household . . .

Isn't the 200 fine for four people?!