Home & Garden

Water softner and purifier......5g really ?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 16th, 2018 8:23 pm
Tags:
Nov 12, 2016
420 posts
246 upvotes
Toronto

Water softner and purifier......5g really ?

We live in Tottenham ontario .the water up there is a little brownish color and people have installed water softners .
I was looking into water purifier and softner and got quotes from 3 different companies

Calligan........5g
Nimbus ....kinetico brand .......5g
Costco ........with all the discounts around 5g as well

That seems to be a lot of money to be invested in this whole purification thing and sad part is that I don't have any knowledge of what my options are out there and what is good or not .weather they are really trying to outsell me something too expensive that I don't need

Does any of my fellow RFDers have are knowledge what should I be looking at or what should I get .I don't mind spending the money but don't want to spend for what I probably won't need or can live with something that's cheaper than this .

Thanks and looking forward to the replies
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
We have a Culligan water softener that was already here when we bought the place so I don't know the original cost. I do think that if every quote you are getting comes in at about $5k, then that is most likely the price you should expect to pay.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
For $5K those companies must be quoting you a lot more than just a water softener.

Do the others in your neighbourhood just use a water softener to get rid of that brownish colour or do they have additional filtration.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
SumeetJ918740 wrote: We live in Tottenham ontario .the water up there is a little brownish color and people have installed water softners .
I was looking into water purifier and softner and got quotes from 3 different companies

Softener should only cost a couple hundred to install... a water filter about $800 ($500 for the unit, $300 or so for labour). Whole home water filter a bit more, maybe $1,000 - $1,500.

Have you checked Lowes and Home Depot? They carry water softeners and probably have installation services.

You're probably getting an iron, sediment, and probably UV filter in conjunction with the softener hence the price. A softener won't remove the iron/organic matter from the water.
Mar 3, 2006
187 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
I recall coming across a recommendation for Purisoft from RFD. Not sure if they would service Tottenham.

http://www.purisoftwater.com

Had it installed about a year ago, no problems to report. It was around $1500 installed, but that’s just the softener.

houston
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
1300 posts
365 upvotes
Toronto
We paid $1300 for water softener and ro system in king city installed
Works great been 5 years
Waterworkscompany was the name if I recall
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
It depends on the system. Culligan is around $3000 and kinetico can easily run you $5000

A basic system cost $1500
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
When I had a water softener installed by Aquabay in Belleville, the key thing was the warranty and a system that monitored water usage and controlled the salt usage that way rather than using a fixed setting.
This will save you in the amount of salt you have to buy.
Jul 11, 2017
960 posts
1279 upvotes
Are you sure you even need the water softener? If not just install sediment filter and RO system. Under $500 and your done.
May 31, 2017
332 posts
88 upvotes
We just had a softener and RO system installed from Culligan. We got one of the smaller units (only 3 people in the house), and it was $1999 installed, and including tax. Also got 8 bags of salt included in that.
We also had an RO system put in - got that for around $1200 I think?

So the Culligan price could be lower, depending on the size of units you need.

Based on the price list I have, I assume your Culligan quote is for their top of the line softener ($3K all in) plus top of the line RO.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1168 upvotes
Sediment filter should get rid of all "visible" issues with the water...and they are like 50$ plus install. Have you had the water tested? Is there issues with bacteria or only colour?
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
3047 posts
2146 upvotes
I have nothing useful to contribute but my rant: I just moved from the 416 to 519 and the hard water drives me insane. My skin which is normally soft is now freaking dry and itchy all the time.

/end rant
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2578 posts
148 upvotes
purisoft will service Tottenham. give them a call for a quote.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3097 posts
474 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
If you just want to clean your drinking/cooking water get a Berkey. $400 tops.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
3047 posts
2146 upvotes
krs wrote: The annual water quality report doesn't look so bad
http://newtecumseth.ca/wp-content/uploa ... Report.pdf

Maybe the first thing to do is to determine what causes the brownish colour in the water.
Here's mine albeit from 2016. What determines good from bad? Acceptable levels?

http://www.cambridge.ca/en/learn-about/ ... _final.pdf

When I demolished and renovated my home I didn't think about the drinking water. I know the previous owner had a RO system on his kitchen tap/sink (I don't think it was maintained properly anyway though I still have some filters here that they left). Now that I'm thinking about this more and more I sort of regret not looking into it first. I have a spot where I can put a water cooler but I'm a minimalist and didn't plan for it, so it'll be an eye-sore for me. We're buying bottled water right now ($2/24 bottles).
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
2483 posts
284 upvotes
SumeetJ918740 wrote: We live in Tottenham ontario .the water up there is a little brownish color and people have installed water softners .

Calligan........5g
Nimbus ....kinetico brand .......5g
Costco ........with all the discounts around 5g as well

That seems to be a lot of money to be invested in this whole purification thing and sad part is that I don't have any knowledge of what my options are out there and what is good or not .weather they are really trying to outsell me something too expensive that I don't need

Does any of my fellow RFDers have are knowledge what should I be looking at or what should I get .I don't mind spending the money but don't want to spend for what I probably won't need or can live with something that's cheaper than this .

Thanks and looking forward to the replies
Also bought a place in tottenham, water does have a yellowish tint. Supposedly it is due to excess iron and the water is hard. So I guess a water softner is needed, what removed the yellow color?

SumeetJ918740 did you buy from Brookfield, if so we're neighbours.. :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)