• Dec 20th, 2006 11:45 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 14, 2005
663 posts
140 upvotes

Water Tank Replacement

Looking for info for replacing my water tank. I'm not sure what I can't and can't do in BC/Vancouver.

Right now it is setup with rigid black pipe for the gas, can I use a flex gas line (in case of earthquake?) as I'd like to strap down the tank. Also going to add a metal drip pan. What about flex water supply lines?

Also, with regards to warranty of a tank, price difference between warranty, say I pay $400 for a 6 year, and $100 more for a 12 year, my understanding that the 12 year tanks are better built? or is there really no differnece in the tanks (besides like a thicker anode rod?).

Any any opions where to buy the tank? I'm thihnk just to go to home depot and picking up a GE brand one?

Thanks!
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2001
6016 posts
39 upvotes
Ottawa
who sells water tanks?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5759 posts
188 upvotes
GTA
skanji wrote:
Dec 20th, 2006 9:25 am
who sells water tanks?
Pretty much any large hardware store like HD and Rona, plus all your HVAC suppliers!!

sk
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2006
2766 posts
83 upvotes
get an electric heater, there more efficient than water tanks and you'll save money.
Jan 7, 2004
487 posts
1 upvote
T.Dot
ashs wrote:
Dec 20th, 2006 12:41 pm
get an electric heater, there more efficient than water tanks and you'll save money.
do you have anything to back this up with?

I always thought gas was cheaper/effective and electric ones were more costly to run.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2838 posts
47 upvotes
ashs wrote:
Dec 20th, 2006 12:41 pm
Show me proof!!! NOT A CHANCE THEY ARE MORE EFFICIENT
Feb 6, 2004
33 posts
An electric tank is cheaper to run, but slower to heat up the water.
A gas tank is more expensive to run, but a lot faster to heat up the water.

You can install the tank yourself and connect the water lines if you feel comfortable doing that, but I'd caution against doing the gas work yourself, there are so many things that could go wrong and either cause an explosion or CO poisioning.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2838 posts
47 upvotes
Xenomorph wrote:
Dec 20th, 2006 10:51 pm
An electric tank is cheaper to run, but slower to heat up the water.
A gas tank is more expensive to run, but a lot faster to heat up the water.

You can install the tank yourself and connect the water lines if you feel comfortable doing that, but I'd caution against doing the gas work yourself, there are so many things that could go wrong and either cause an explosion or CO poisioning.
If it was better, cheaper ,,,, we would all be using them,, NG is the way to go and installing them,, if its a replacement is simple,, even the gas hook up

If the gas is off and you test for leaks there is no problems