• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2019 12:21 pm
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1481 upvotes
Toronto

Water usage for lawn sprinkling system

We notice our water bill for July & August (since lawn sprinkling system is on) has been tripled ($200 to $600) as compared to the last bill before it was on. Just wonder if it makes sense. Didn’t know it uses so much water and water costs so much money………..

Note: Our setting is every other day for 6 zones and each zone runs from 3 to 5 mins only
25 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4596 posts
3099 upvotes
Toronto
rdx wrote: We notice our water bill for July & August (since lawn sprinkling system is on) has been tripled ($200 to $600) as compared to the last bill before it was on. Just wonder if it makes sense. Didn’t know it uses so much water and water costs so much money………..

Note: Our setting is every other day for 6 zones and each zone runs from 3 to 5 mins only
You should double check there's no leaks in your system. Water seeping out into the lawn 24/7 may go unnoticed.
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1481 upvotes
Toronto
rob444 wrote: You should double check there's no leaks in your system. Water seeping out into the lawn 24/7 may go unnoticed.
Thanks. But how do I check it ?

When the system is off, would water still leak through it ?
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11955 posts
3699 upvotes
Kingston
rdx wrote: Thanks. But how do I check it ?

Yes. When you don't think you're using any water (inside or outside) is your water meter still showing water use.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4596 posts
3099 upvotes
Toronto
rdx wrote: Thanks. But how do I check it ?

As mentioned you can shut off all water in the home and see if water meter is showing use.

Also you can do a manual check of the entire sprinkler system. While it's off, inspect the entire thing from connection at source to water exit, and see if you can notice any water coming out when it's not supposed to.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Water costs a lot of money when it comes from a well. Easily over $500 for those that irrigate out here.
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1481 upvotes
Toronto
rob444 wrote: As mentioned you can shut off all water in the home and see if water meter is showing use.

Also you can do a manual check of the entire sprinkler system. While it's off, inspect the entire thing from connection at source to water exit, and see if you can notice any water coming out when it's not supposed to.
Ok, if I shut off the main water valve and still notice water usage, then I would wonder what is causing that, as even there is a leak in the sprinkler system, there shouldn't be any water going into it to leak,, right ?

I guess I would need to keep the main water valve on and stop using any water at home while checking the water meter.

By the way, I remember someone said the reverse osmosis system at home would also constantly run water in sewage. Is it true ?
Last edited by rdx on Aug 13th, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2625 posts
1620 upvotes
Alliston, ON
rob444 wrote: You should double check there's no leaks in your system. Water seeping out into the lawn 24/7 may go unnoticed.
The system isn't pressurized 24/7. It's only pressurized up to the automatic valves that are usually located near water source coming from the house. You can hear if any water is leaking through those valves or check your water meter like suggested.

Do you know how many GPM each head is? Or each zone? Some simple math can tell you how much it costs to water your lawn each night.

If each zone is 10gpm and you run them for 5mins x 6zones = 300gal/night
264gal = cubic meter of water. Not sure if your location, but using Toronto, water is roughly $4/cubic meter.
You also have to pay sewage fees for the water used on your lawn. Your water bill should have a cost breakdown of it all.

Take a reading off your water meter one night after everyone has showered or used the water, then check the reading on the water meter after the water cycle is done
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1481 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the information. I am in Vaughan.

If I am using $4-5 per sprinkling time, and my system is doing every other day. That should be roughly $5 x 15 days in a month = $75 per month. Where our bill is showing roughly $200 more per month.

I need to double check, I could be wrong on the sprinkling time, some zones might be 10 mins though.
schade wrote: The system isn't pressurized 24/7. It's only pressurized up to the automatic valves that are usually located near water source coming from the house. You can hear if any water is leaking through those valves or check your water meter like suggested.

Do you know how many GPM each head is? Or each zone? Some simple math can tell you how much it costs to water your lawn each night.

If each zone is 10gpm and you run them for 5mins x 6zones = 300gal/night
264gal = cubic meter of water. Not sure if your location, but using Toronto, water is roughly $4/cubic meter.
You also have to pay sewage fees for the water used on your lawn. Your water bill should have a cost breakdown of it all.

Take a reading off your water meter one night after everyone has showered or used the water, then check the reading on the water meter after the water cycle is done
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1481 upvotes
Toronto
Just got the information from Vaughan website. Combined rate costs $4.5682 per cubic meter.

https://www.vaughan.ca/services/residen ... ation.aspx

Water and wastewater rates (effective April 1, 2019)

2019 Water Rate (per cubic metre)
$2.0725
​Minimum Invoice Charge for Water per Month
By-Law 022-2019 (PDF)
​$17 per month or 8.2027 cubic meters per month, whichever is less starting on April 1, 2019
2019 Wastewater Rate (per cubic metre)
$2.4957
​Minimum Invoice Charge for Wastewater per Month By-Law 021-2019 (PDF) $23 per month or 8.2027 cubic metres per month, whichever is less starting on April 1, 2019​
2019 Combined Water/Wastewater Rate
(per cubic metre)
$4.5682
Jan 12, 2009
133 posts
61 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
I live in Vaughan and run the sprinkler either 3 or 4 days per week for about 1:40 each time (across all zones). Our water bill always triples or sometimes 4x. It's absolutely crazy, but I guess that is the price you pay for green grass. The one thing that really pisses me off is when you look at the bill, the bulk of the water charge is sewage. I've tried to complain that I have irrigation and most of the water I'm using is going into the ground/grass, not the sewer system. The company says they have no way to determine what is going into the sewer system vs what is not.
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1481 upvotes
Toronto
settons wrote: I live in Vaughan and run the sprinkler either 3 or 4 days per week for about 1:40 each time (across all zones). Our water bill always triples or sometimes 4x. It's absolutely crazy, but I guess that is the price you pay for green grass. The one thing that really pisses me off is when you look at the bill, the bulk of the water charge is sewage. I've tried to complain that I have irrigation and most of the water I'm using is going into the ground/grass, not the sewer system. The company says they have no way to determine what is going into the sewer system vs what is not.
Good to know that I am not alone..........
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1353 posts
861 upvotes
GTA
Waste of water and money just to water a lawn. Plant clover; It stays green all summer.
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1481 upvotes
Toronto
smitty9999 wrote: Waste of water and money just to water a lawn. Plant clover; It stays green all summer.
Probably true since I can't stop them growing on the lawn anyway Face With Tears Of Joy
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
smitty9999 wrote: Waste of water and money just to water a lawn. Plant clover; It stays green all summer.
Lots of things in life are a waste of money
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
WikkiWikki wrote: Lots of things in life are a waste of money
Detached houses vs high density housing is technically a waste of money but our nomadic nature requires SPACE
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
Jerico wrote: Detached houses vs high density housing is technically a waste of money but our nomadic nature requires SPACE
ok, and my statement stands
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2005
1144 posts
44 upvotes
Ask your municipality if you can purchase a seperate water meter for your irrigation system. I know some municipalities will allow it and you won't have to pay for sewage as well
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
Have you checked for leaking toilet? Can you do an actual reading from your meter and see if it lines up with your billing?

Watering less frequently but for longer duration is better for lawns since they develop a deeper root system that helps them deal with drought.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
WikkiWikki wrote: ok, and my statement stands
I was agreeing with you... My point was that even having grass at all is a waste.

Edit: But I like and want grass.