Waterproof gear and footwear

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 30th, 2017 2:18 pm
[OP]
Sep 23, 2006
367 posts
185 upvotes

Waterproof gear and footwear

I never really shopped for dedicated rain gear and footwear, but this year I will be going to Northern Ireland, and do need to buy some of this stuff to take with me. Will be going in August, so temperature should be about 17-18C, Will be doing quite a bit of walking, so shoes need to be comfy, but do need to keep my feet dry. Will most likely be going off pavement, so not sure if just regular shoe style would be good idea.

What would you recommend? Thanks
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2009
1189 posts
218 upvotes
Toronto
The only true waterproof shoes would have rubber uppers. You'll find it hard to have comfort and 100% waterproof qualities in the same shoe. Go to MEC, Bass Pro and try on as many shoes/boots as possible. If searching online, I would focus on HUNTING shoes/boots. Nobody sitting in a duck blind for hours on end will put up with wet feet, good quality hunting footwear will be some of the most rugged gear you can buy.

As far as other gear goes I would recommend a roll-top backpack to keep things dry. MEC's Slogg bag is fantastic. A good rain jacket and pants is also way up on the list of indispensable items for such a trip. These 4 items should get you through anything you'll encounter, buy wisely and they should last a life-time. Cheap out and you'll be miserable.
[OP]
Sep 23, 2006
367 posts
185 upvotes
Thank very much for that detailed response. I shall start looking into your recommendations.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2738 posts
569 upvotes
Don't know how much your budget is, but an Alpha SV jacket is great for wet weather, just wear it over whatever you normally wear, completely waterproof, windproof and breathable. It will last you a decade easily if taken care of, and you could still use it when you get home considering how windy and snowy it gets in Canada.

Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10820 posts
1463 upvotes
City of Vancouver
MikeMC12 wrote:
Mar 27th, 2017 8:29 pm
Don't know how much your budget is, but an Alpha SV jacket is great for wet weather, just wear it over whatever you normally wear, completely waterproof, windproof and breathable. It will last you a decade easily if taken care of, and you could still use it when you get home considering how windy and snowy it gets in Canada.

Isn't that jacket going to be too hot to wear in 18C temps? It is "SV" = severe. I wore an LT (light) jacket yesterday with just a baselayer underneath, so I would think that is better for summer. Or, how about just bringing a rain poncho on the trip as that is much cheaper than buying an Arcteryx Gore Tex jacket.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2738 posts
569 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 4:46 pm
Isn't that jacket going to be too hot to wear in 18C temps? It is "SV" = severe. I wore an LT (light) jacket yesterday with just a baselayer underneath, so I would think that is better for summer. Or, how about just bringing a rain poncho on the trip as that is much cheaper than buying an Arcteryx Gore Tex jacket.
Yes an LT is probably better for the summer, or AR might be better for both spring/fall/winter, probably a bit too thick for summer use. I don't know OPs budget, but these jackets literally lasts forever, and if you can get a lot of use out of it, even after returning from the trip, I can personally justify the initial high cost.
[OP]
Sep 23, 2006
367 posts
185 upvotes
Truth be told, I dont really have a budget. This is mainly because i have no idea what price range is like for these sort of items. I didnt want to put a budget, only to find out that it is way too low. Of course I am hoping not to spend arm and a leg on this, but I dont want to really go cheap and waste money on crap that wont even last 1 day.