• Jul 23rd, 2008 12:27 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 28, 2002
599 posts
63 upvotes

waterproof P&S?

Just wondering if anyone knows if Costco carries waterproof point and shoot cameras? Also, any comments of this type of camera?
cheers.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3123 posts
107 upvotes
Mississauga
I know there are cameras designed to be waterproof to a certain depth and also I know specifically Canon also sells cases designed to house a P&S to make it waterproofed. Costco sells it? Maybe someone else can answer that.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1592 posts
114 upvotes
there are waterproof disposable cameras. , not sure if they carry it though, hmmm actually haven't noticed stores even carrying normal disposable film cameras anymore for that matter. Note for the disposable waterproof cameras, they tend to not have a flash so there has to be plenty of daylight and clear water.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2006
1347 posts
6 upvotes
olympus has a line that is water proof and shock resistant. I was at the photography show and they demonstrated it well. Had a water tank with cameras in there for the consumer to try it. And one guy tossed a camera from around 6ft height to the ground. I didnt work after, but his reason was it was out of batteries.
Dec 31, 1969
benmoore wrote:
Jul 19th, 2008 7:41 pm
They do not have a flash.
My Olympus 1030SW has a flash...

There is a new Pentax W30 coming out that looks pretty good. The IQ of the Olympus 1030SW is OK but not great. But IQ isn't why you are buying a waterproof camera anyway...
[OP]
Jan 28, 2002
599 posts
63 upvotes
Humm...I'm thinking of getting a digital underwater camera. I know Sam's Club sells the Olympus Stylus790SW. Anyone know if Costco would sell the pentax equivalent?.....I don't like how the Olympus uses XD memory..
Dec 31, 1969
harry wrote:
Jul 19th, 2008 11:38 pm
Humm...I'm thinking of getting a digital underwater camera. I know Sam's Club sells the Olympus Stylus790SW. Anyone know if Costco would sell the pentax equivalent?.....I don't like how the Olympus uses XD memory..
It's a memory card, you but it, you use it. Get over it. :lol:
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
1770 posts
429 upvotes
Hometown
harry wrote:
Jul 19th, 2008 11:38 pm
The new 8mb and 10mb Olympus camera will both work with a sd micro card as the camera comes with the adaptor.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2006
1488 posts
3924 upvotes
If you use the SD micro card, you'll have limitations taking video.

I was actually researching this all last week. I needed something as an easy to carry pocket camera when I didn't want to lug my SLR around. Something to take to the water park with my kids.

For new cameras (2008) the Olympus has the Stylus SW line (850 & 1030) and the Pentax has the Optio W60 (the W30 is last year). Ricoh has one but I think they're hard to find in North America.

Anyway, what I found out from photography review sites and forums is that they work as advertised but take average photos at best. So if your not too picky about picture quality (noise, color, sharpness, etc) and you really need something for underwater and outdoor durability then these are for you. The 1030SW is probably the most rugged out of them all. And at those prices, I would expect better results.

I've also read the seals in the Olympus line have to be replaced after about a year (depending on use I suppose) but I can't say for sure. That will potentially add to the cost of the camera.

What I ended up doing is getting a decent regular P&S camera (a Sony W200) and ordering a "waterjacket" for the camera. It's not really intended for underwater use but should be good enough to take to the water park and not worry about it getting sprayed and damaged. I got a $20 off coupon for the Sony store web site when I registered my camera so the waterjacket ended up being a good deal... 30 bucks vs 50.