• Mar 14th, 2018 7:52 am
[OP]
Sep 10, 2015
53 posts
32 upvotes
North York, ON

Waterproofing cold room

Hello !

Now that the weather is getting good, I am thinking of excavating and applying a poly membrane on the outside of a cold room to make it waterproof. Not sure which membrane to use.

I was thinking on using either of blow.

https://www.rona.ca/en/waterproof-membrane
https://www.lowes.ca/roll-insulation/5- ... rane-Syste

Am I on the right track to identify material for the waterproofing my cold room and making sure that mold does not grow.

I will be adding full plan once I get home.

Thanks,
15 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1115 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
I used Delta MS on 3 sides of my home (block foundation), including around a cold room. I did the front and back (25 linear feet each) myself, and hired out the 40 ft side length.

For the stuff I did myself, I used this coating and membrane:

Coating
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.foun ... 64509.html

Membrane
https://www.rona.ca/en/foundation-water ... 0382009--1

In retrospect, I would have used Aqua-bloc in place of the Black Knight foundation coating, as it is a better product.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14775 posts
4149 upvotes
If its concrete just use Xypex on the inside (assuming its unfinished)
What did you come here for?
I came here to complain
I'm sorry thats next door, its being hit on the head lessons in here...
[OP]
Sep 10, 2015
53 posts
32 upvotes
North York, ON
jacquesstrap wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 12:15 pm
I used Delta MS on 3 sides of my home (block foundation), including around a cold room. I did the front and back (25 linear feet each) myself, and hired out the 40 ft side length.

For the stuff I did myself, I used this coating and membrane:

Coating
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.foun ... 64509.html

Membrane
https://www.rona.ca/en/foundation-water ... 0382009--1

In retrospect, I would have used Aqua-bloc in place of the Black Knight foundation coating, as it is a better product.
Thanks @jacquesstrap.
Quentin5 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 7:57 am
If its concrete just use Xypex on the inside (assuming its unfinished)
@Quentin5, I am not sure what kind of block it is that is forming the wall, I am assuming it to be cement block but not sure if it is cinder block. The house is constructed in 1968. Will you have any idea what it might be or how I can determine what it is ?
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14775 posts
4149 upvotes
RFD1984 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 12:24 pm
@Quentin5, I am not sure what kind of block it is that is forming the wall, I am assuming it to be cement block but not sure if it is cinder block. The house is constructed in 1968. Will you have any idea what it might be or how I can determine what it is ?
You can post a good picture
I came here to complain
[OP]
Sep 10, 2015
53 posts
32 upvotes
North York, ON
How do we confirm that it is as good?
[OP]
Sep 10, 2015
53 posts
32 upvotes
North York, ON
Quentin5 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 1:00 pm
You can post a good picture
Here they are.. Let me know if these images does not provide enough details...

Thanks,
IMG_20170403_104717.jpg
IMG_20170403_104725.jpg
IMG_20170403_104752.jpg
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2008
1594 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
RFD1984 wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2017 10:51 am
How do we confirm that it is as good?
you can compare thickness. in the end its a dimpled piece of plastic. there wont be a major difference as long as its installed right.

but note no treatment like this or paint will stop major leaks. if the water is just condensation this type of membrane will work.

if theres a steady leak that pools on teh floor nothing will work. you would need to put an interior drain in or excavate the outside.
Last edited by redzone on Apr 3rd, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14775 posts
4149 upvotes
Looks like CMU (concrete masonry unit) to me. If your considering the Xypex route i suggested earlier then contact them with your pictures and they will advise you if their product will work.
I came here to complain
[OP]
Sep 10, 2015
53 posts
32 upvotes
North York, ON
redzone wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2017 11:15 am
you can compare thickness. in the end its a dimpled piece of plastic. there wont be a major difference as long as its installed right.
I see. Thanks for sharing this.

After checking on this xypex, I am more inclined towards Xypex formula. Will be trying it out. Hopefully I will not need to go for this excavation procedure.
[OP]
Sep 10, 2015
53 posts
32 upvotes
North York, ON
Quentin5 wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2017 11:24 am
Looks like CMU (concrete masonry unit) to me. If your considering the Xypex route i suggested earlier then contact them with your pictures and they will advise you if their product will work.
sure, let me check with them first. Thanks.
[OP]
Sep 10, 2015
53 posts
32 upvotes
North York, ON
RFD1984 wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2017 5:19 pm
sure, let me check with them first. Thanks.
Okay, So I got response from them. For the benefit of everyone putting it here.

Dear Mr. XXXXX

The procedure you described is correct. We do recommend two coats on concrete block because its porosity and the fact that it is typically left hollow. The second coat should be applied as soon as the first coat as set, typically about half an hour. .
Sincerely,

XXX XXXXXX
XYPEX Chemical Corporation
Tel: 604-273-5265
www.xypex.com

Sent: April-03-17 9:25 AM
To: Xypex Enquiry
Subject: Enquiry from Xypex Website - Head Office

Received from the website distributor enquiry form

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: XYPEX High and Dry Advise Needed

Hello There,
My name is XXXXX and I am from Torono, Ontario. I am planning to apply XYPEX on CMU (Concrete Masonry Unit) that is forming part of house foundation to damp proof it. In cold room, I plan to use below product. https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.xypex-highn-dry-11-kg.1000410303.html
The plan I have so far is as below.
1) Water blast internal walls to remove any foreign material. This will also allow MCU to soak up the water.
2) Repeat step 1) on next day probably in the morning.
3) Apply Xypex high and dry
4) Every 4 hours, change the air by mechanical means so that there is enough air circulation.
5) Every 6 hour mist the entire area to provide enough moisture for Xypex to work its magic. But I have below questions that I need advise on.

1) Is Xypex high and Dry correct product for concrete masonry unit?
2) Will Xypex work fine on the material that is used to join two concrete masonry unit together?

If you have further questions, do not hesitate to ask.
Thanks for your time,
XXXXX

Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14775 posts
4149 upvotes
Cool, let us know how it turns out :)
Keep in mind basement humidity has several causes, this is just one, you will have to work on the others, vapour diffusion through wood framing, dew point air exchange and so forth. Make sure you leave no spot untreated.
Hopefully this is the biggest one in your house.
I came here to complain
[OP]
Sep 10, 2015
53 posts
32 upvotes
North York, ON
Thanks everyone for your help.

Finally reporting back the status. I ended up putting poly near the area that was allowing seepage of water the most. This made water to flow to other area of house where seepage is not a problem and now I do not have any issues with the mold. Hopefully it stays as it is right now. fingers closed ...