Shopping Discussion

Way to avoid outrageous UPS/FedEX brokerage fees !

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2015 3:34 pm
Tags:
Feb 18, 2009
21 posts
8 upvotes
Winnipeg

Way to avoid outrageous UPS/FedEX brokerage fees !

Recently I purchased some stuff from US over the Internet and decided to use UPS as a courier. When the driver came to my door and told me there was a package for me but I needed to pay more than $50 to him. I was shocked. WTF. He told me that this was brokerage fee and is used in order UPS to clear the package for me with Canada Border Services Agency. I refused to take the package.

After googling for a while I found this precious post http://trueler.com/2010/09/13/ups-broke ... -avoid-it/ I am glad that I've found it.

Before calling UPS I called Canada Border Services Agency to make sure that I have the most updated information. The officer confirmed - with UPS/FedEX or any other courier company (except Canada Post) you are allowed to self-clear your purchase with the customs.

So, I called UPS and told them that I was going to self-clear my package myself. The agent told me that she would enter that information into their system and someone should call me within a day or two. I am supposed to go to their office to pick up some papers, then with those papers I would have to go to the local customs office, pay GST/PST, customs would issue an official receipt and then with this receipt I go to UPS warehouse to pick up my parcel.

I am not sure how the things would go not until I get the package in my hands.

Please, share this information with you friends, colleagues and fellows in order to stop this f...g thing with the brokerage fees of UPS/Fedex etc.
144 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
15351 posts
1585 upvotes
Toronto
I've had great experiences so far with Fedex...its just UPS that does this stuff
Selling Feng Shui Crane Coin (See Avatar) - $80 - PM!
[OP]
Feb 18, 2009
21 posts
8 upvotes
Winnipeg
deal_with_singh wrote:
May 12th, 2012 3:48 pm
I've had great experiences so far with Fedex...its just UPS that does this stuff

Can you, please give us some details of what exactly happened with FedEX ? What makes you think FedEX is better than UPS in terms of this scam?
Somehow I kind of doubt it that one company is better than the other. If that's the case then everybody would import with FedEX and UPS will loose customers. Which is not case. See, it's similar to the cell phone carriers. There is no such thing as "provider X is much better than provider Y". They are the same one way or another Similar policies, similar tricks to lure you... Those kind of things.

Or probably you work for FedEX, ey? ;)
[OP]
Feb 18, 2009
21 posts
8 upvotes
Winnipeg
bomba wrote:
May 12th, 2012 3:56 pm
US Postal Service

/thread

You can't ship with USPS if the seller uses UPS or Fedex
Jan 11, 2012
153 posts
8 upvotes
Oshawa
I use USPS whenever possible, and if not possible, I try to use DHL. They have better rates for brokerage.
Old accountants don't die, they just lose their balance.
Any advice provided here is worth exactly what you have paid for it.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
15351 posts
1585 upvotes
Toronto
bl2009 wrote:
May 12th, 2012 3:58 pm
Can you, please give us some details of what exactly happened with FedEX ? What makes you think FedEX is better than UPS in terms of this scam?
Somehow I kind of doubt it that one company is better than the other. If that's the case then everybody would import with FedEX and UPS will loose customers. Which is not case. See, it's similar to the cell phone carriers. There is no such thing as "provider X is much better than provider Y". They are the same one way or another Similar policies, similar tricks to lure you... Those kind of things.

Or probably you work for FedEX, ey? ;)
Well...ordered about 15k in silver Pandas last month, and the shipping fedex charges include all brokerage fees, you only have to pay the duties and taxes. And because the silver I ordered was .999, it didn't have any duties.

They ask you to fax/scan and email them a form to give them authorization to act in behalf as your broker at no charge, and that's pretty much it.

On the other hand, not the case with UPS. They simply come to your door with a bill of an outrageous amount.
Selling Feng Shui Crane Coin (See Avatar) - $80 - PM!
[OP]
Feb 18, 2009
21 posts
8 upvotes
Winnipeg
As far as I see some of you guys still prefer to use brokerage services of their preferred courier. It's your choice. I don't.

For the rest of us, including me, who prefer to save money and self-clear their packages - just follow the link above and contact your local CBSA.
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14294 posts
602 upvotes
Scarborough
deal_with_singh wrote:
May 12th, 2012 4:58 pm
Well...ordered about 15k in silver Pandas last month, and the shipping fedex charges include all brokerage fees, you only have to pay the duties and taxes. And because the silver I ordered was .999, it didn't have any duties.

They ask you to fax/scan and email them a form to give them authorization to act in behalf as your broker at no charge, and that's pretty much it.

On the other hand, not the case with UPS. They simply come to your door with a bill of an outrageous amount.

that particular experience you cited would not incur any brokerage/duties if shipped via UPS either, assuming the forms are filled out correctly ahead of time by the shipper.

Fedex is actually worse than UPS because Fedex delivers the package "free" up front... gets you to sign for it and accept delivery, then 4 weeks later, they bill you for the same charges UPS would. With UPS at least you get to reject the package.
MOONBOX PRO:Group Buy | User Thread
H.TVBox 3 Group Buy | User Thread
TVPad4 | User Thread

Feb 22, 2009
498 posts
117 upvotes
And this is why when you order things from the states you should always go USPS not UPS/FedEx. At times you can even go DHL GlobalMail. But of course its more a matter of how much that is declared is what, if any, charges you ever see. I notice USPS (which hands to CanadaPost) will ding you if the DV gets around $140-210 USD -- but it seems inconssistent and most times i dont even see a charge for that. However, in all cases USPS is always cheaper if you ever do get hit with an extra charge.

FedEx ALSO charges brokerage fees but they charge less and they dont demand payment at the door. They will mail you an invoice about a month later that can be paid over the phone or online.

UPS is the worst for ordering from the states. Never use them if you have a choice.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
43213 posts
3038 upvotes
Toronto
corezz wrote:
May 13th, 2012 3:59 am
And this is why when you order things from the states you should always go USPS not UPS/FedEx. At times you can even go DHL GlobalMail. But of course its more a matter of how much that is declared is what, if any, charges you ever see. I notice USPS (which hands to CanadaPost) will ding you if the DV gets around $140-210 USD -- but it seems inconssistent and most times i dont even see a charge for that. However, in all cases USPS is always cheaper if you ever do get hit with an extra charge.

FedEx ALSO charges brokerage fees but they charge less and they dont demand payment at the door. They will mail you an invoice about a month later that can be paid over the phone or online.

UPS is the worst for ordering from the states. Never use them if you have a choice.

Yeah USPS has the least reports of being dinged when Importing stuff and what not. Too bad they aren't available to be picked as the courier most of the time.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1737 posts
440 upvotes
I tried to do this with DHL recently. They charge a handling fee of $10. They gave me bad information: my package would be going through the Cincinnati hub and that I should call DHL Brokerage at 1-888-899-0289 and request self-clearance only at that time. The package never made it to Cincinnati, so I called the number when it arrived in Canada. By then it had already cleared customs.

The next time I called them as soon as the package got picked up in the USA. They said they would make a note not to clear the package. Then they cleared the package. I asked them why and they didn't say, but did say they would waive the fees and I didn't even end up paying tax. So I didn't press the issue ;)
Apr 8, 2007
174 posts
35 upvotes
USPS is always the preferred choice, but some sellers will only ship with FedEx or UPS. That being the case, I always prefer UPS over FedEx. With UPS I always get the waybill from the delivery guy & reject the package, take the waybill to my local customs office to pay the duty on it & call UPS to have them re-attempt the delivery. The guy shows up the next day with my package again, checks my receipt & hands me my package....haven't had a problem doing it this way with them for the last 10 years. FedEx on the other hand flat out refuses to deliver if I broker it myself & makes me drive out to their depot to pick it up.
Jun 19, 2010
79 posts
9 upvotes
When I get stuff shipped from the US I try to get it sent USPS or DHL. I rarely ever get dinged when it is sent USPS, and when I do it is around $7.50 handling, plus taxes on the value of the pkg. With DHL I've also had several shipments come to me without any charges; the two that I was charged for I just got charged taxes and around $7 handling.

When I used to live in a border city and I couldn't get a company to ship a way other than UPS, I would tell them to state on the pkg. that I would clear it myself and then they would call me when the pkg. came in, I would go to their office and pick up the paperwork, drive to customs and get it taken care of, then bring it back to their office and they would give me my pkg. Before I moved from a border city I started just having stuff shipped to a mailbox service quite often and would wait until I had several packages there and just go pick them all up at once. I got a kijiji deal for detroitmailbox.com and used them several times before I moved.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5833 posts
232 upvotes
Just don't ship UPS/Fedex ground. It may look cheap to ship but with added brokerage, you're better with selecting their 2 day air services.
Those have brokerage included in the costs and usually are cheaper than ground services. You'll also get your package much faster.
signature edited for rule violations
× < >