Shopping Discussion

Way to avoid outrageous UPS/FedEX brokerage fees !

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 11:03 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4014 posts
677 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
pathfinder35 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2015 7:30 pm
Here's my self-clearing package from UPS story so far:
I called on Monday to tell them I am self clearing package and asked them to email me the commercial invoice. They said they would - next day - no email. I called again - they said I would have it in 24 hours. Next day still no email. Called them again and they said I could get it after the shipment was delivered to my door. Shipment arrived and told the UPS guy that I was self clearing - he had no idea what that was - I told him to just hold the package at their storage/office and give me a copy of the shipment invoice.

I again called UPS and asked for the commercial invoice to be emailed and I received it in 5 minutes. I took the printed shipment invoice and the commercial invoice and my order invoice to my local CBSA office and paid the taxes and received a stamped B15 form. I called UPS to ask where should I email/fax it to and they had no idea - they thought it should be listed on the B15 form! They took my phone number and said they would call back in 24 hours.

How frustrating!

BTW I am following the steps from this document - http://trueler.com/2010/11/24/self-clea ... erage-fee/
Are the two offices very far apart? In Richmond they are about a 5 minute drive apart.
What I did was go to the UPS depot, the staff there printed off the commercial invoice. I got the stamped form from CBSA, then I went back to the depot, they made a copy of the form for my records, took the original and released the item to me.

Of course it works better if the staff know what they're doing and I figured I'll try the depot since they probably deal with this more often than the phone CSRs. Note, this was at the depot and not a UPS store that might also hold items for pickup (in which case I wouldn't be surprised if the staff wouldn't know what to do).
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2003
1432 posts
81 upvotes
Hamilton
I got stung the other day for (2) furnace parts from the USA (value $41 CDN), UPS charged $35 at the door (including their $27 brokerage and HST on that). So $30 to UPS to collect $5 of tax on goods valued at $41. If I had more time I would have followed this process, but what a joke none the less.
Jun 22, 2011
85 posts
4 upvotes
slotscanada wrote:
Nov 14th, 2015 12:03 pm
I got stung the other day for (2) furnace parts from the USA (value $41 CDN), UPS charged $35 at the door (including their $27 brokerage and HST on that). So $30 to UPS to collect $5 of tax on goods valued at $41. If I had more time I would have followed this process, but what a joke none the less.
They've been sued over this, but sadly it isn't yet nationally regulated.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2006
5133 posts
9004 upvotes
Comox Valley, BC
Well, I finally gave up and paid the UPS fees. I called numerous times but UPS would never call me back and I could never get them to escalate it - they said 'they would forward it to a port' - meaning the port where the package can into the country I think.
I finally received this email:
[INDENT]This has been released and will be delivered. It can’t be self cleared. Sorry
Thank-you for using UPS
Julie McNeil
UPS Canada
Fredericton International
Customer service line 1-888-520-9090[/INDENT]

No-one at the UPS depot here in Courtenay could help me - they just said to call the 1-800 number.
I couldn't handle the frustration any more and wanted the package and told them to deliver it and I paid the fees. I will get the taxes I paid at CBSA to get the B15 form returned to me from CBSA.

All I can say - I will avoid using UPS til my dying days....they are evil...
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4014 posts
677 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
pathfinder35 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2015 12:19 am
Well, I finally gave up and paid the UPS fees. I called numerous times but UPS would never call me back and I could never get them to escalate it - they said 'they would forward it to a port' - meaning the port where the package can into the country I think.
I finally received this email:
[INDENT]This has been released and will be delivered. It can’t be self cleared. Sorry
Thank-you for using UPS
Julie McNeil
UPS Canada
Fredericton International
Customer service line 1-888-520-9090[/INDENT]

No-one at the UPS depot here in Courtenay could help me - they just said to call the 1-800 number.
I couldn't handle the frustration any more and wanted the package and told them to deliver it and I paid the fees. I will get the taxes I paid at CBSA to get the B15 form returned to me from CBSA.

All I can say - I will avoid using UPS til my dying days....they are evil...
Sounds like they just gave you a lazy response.
I would try again next time (if there is one) and don't give up!
Mar 24, 2009
385 posts
27 upvotes
UPS can be trickier than the others because they often break bond at the border instead of moving inland with the cargo in bond. This means that from an accounting perspective you need to clear with the CBSA and then proceed to the UPS facility at the original point of entry into the country! This allows UPS to use cheaper non-bonded transport from the port to the local office.

If you are in Montreal or Vancouver it is not so bad to visit the land border port, however, for Eastern Ontario is could be a real pain to drive to the Thousand Islands or Windsor... Not worth $50 of savings.

For air shipments that can mean YYZ or YVR, for ground it could be Windsor or Lacolle for folks in the east.

If you escalate on the phone you may be able to get UPS to simply charge you for taxes and duty and for them to forgo their brokerage fee, however, that is not guaranteed.

Source: I work for the CBSA.
Jul 13, 2011
296 posts
66 upvotes
Kemptville
Looking for some assistance. I had ordered an item from the US with the understanding that it was to be shipped out via USPS. It turns out they chose Fedex, maybe cause its cheaper, I am not privy to the reason.

So the company has a placed the value of the goods at $15 USD for the item (cost to me was higher), and $25 shipping. Taxes and such I don't have a problem paying, but I am more concerned about other fees often charged by these shipping companies.

Does anyone know what kind of charges I should be expecting?
Jun 22, 2011
85 posts
4 upvotes
ertmanius wrote:
Dec 4th, 2015 3:03 pm
Looking for some assistance. I had ordered an item from the US with the understanding that it was to be shipped out via USPS. It turns out they chose Fedex, maybe cause its cheaper, I am not privy to the reason.

So the company has a placed the value of the goods at $15 USD for the item (cost to me was higher), and $25 shipping. Taxes and such I don't have a problem paying, but I am more concerned about other fees often charged by these shipping companies.

15USD is under 30CAD (or was it 60?) So no import taxes
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2006
5133 posts
9004 upvotes
Comox Valley, BC
ertmanius wrote:
Dec 4th, 2015 3:03 pm

MattyMattMatt wrote:
Dec 4th, 2015 3:28 pm
15USD is under 30CAD (or was it 60?) So no import taxes
It's under $20 CAD - http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/posta ... s-eng.html

But sometimes the company includes the shipping cost in the value which can put the value above $20...
Sep 26, 2012
13 posts
1 upvote
AIRDRIE
Old thread but I have a scenario I need help with.

I bought some car parts while in the US, $1000 worth. I shipped them home via FedEx ground (dumb move apparently). But since I shipped them myself I have the commercial invoice and now I need to know what the process is to prevent the extra fees and possibly use my duty exemption since I'm in the US for a week.

Any thoughts?
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4014 posts
677 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
canudobetter wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2016 11:03 pm
Old thread but I have a scenario I need help with.

I bought some car parts while in the US, $1000 worth. I shipped them home via FedEx ground (dumb move apparently). But since I shipped them myself I have the commercial invoice and now I need to know what the process is to prevent the extra fees and possibly use my duty exemption since I'm in the US for a week.

Any thoughts?
When you shipped them, you should've indicated you'll be clearing them yourself. If you open an account (free) with FedEx, you can at least get them to charge your credit card directly for any taxes/duties - this avoids the bond fees since they're charging you directly.
See here for Unaccompanied goods: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyag ... .html#_s18

If you already paid, you may request and adjustment from CBSA: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/posta ... n-eng.html
You'll have to do the work because FedEx and their agent sure won't...
Sep 26, 2012
13 posts
1 upvote
AIRDRIE
Awesome, thanks. I called FedEx and told them I'm self clearing. So I guess I'll declare it when I arrive in Calgary tonight and ask them for a form to show the driver on delivery?
Jan 26, 2011
306 posts
67 upvotes
Gatineau
bl2009 wrote:
May 12th, 2012 4:00 pm
You can't ship with USPS if the seller uses UPS or Fedex
You can at least try it. I often call and they don't mind, except you have to pay for the difference (usually just a few dollars) and it works about half the time.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5202 posts
1024 upvotes
BC
Seeing pathfinder35's attempt to self-clear frustrated by the local UPS depot and the HQ 1-800 no. reminds me of an option for those living in the Victoria area.

This option is best suited for a costly but fairly lightweight item (but it can be bulky) and where the vendor offers free (or low cost) shipping only within the U.S.

For $17 you can get your package brought in bond from Blaine Wa. to YYJ where you can do the self-clearing. http://www.seawings.ca/x-border.htm