Shopping Discussion

Way to avoid outrageous UPS/FedEX brokerage fees !

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 11:03 am
Tags:
Sep 13, 2003
51 posts
21 upvotes
Barrie, ON
New 2017 rates make UPS a Super Scam - avoid UPS at all costs - received a package today from just across the border of course shipped UPS $70 US declared value ($93 cdn value) UPS brokerage fees $34.12 + HST $12.09......UPS once again finding a way to charge even more.
Nov 25, 2007
915 posts
1238 upvotes
Toronto
So,, can I clear my own package even after I received the shipment?
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4014 posts
677 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Tony33 wrote:
Jan 19th, 2017 2:42 pm
Well I'm in a pickle.

The seller used a Global Shipping Program (from Ebay), and the package has been hopping state to state until it arrives in Toronto. None of the Fedex call reps can see when/if my package is coming to Toronto - so they are not allowing me to self declare. The seller has confirmed the address they used is correct, I don't doubt them. The package is supposed to be coming with Fedex Ground as well.

Anyone know if I can just go to the CBSA and pre-pay using this tracking number? Or should I wait for the package to arrive, refuse it, and tell the delivery man I'll be self-declaring???

Any help would be great :)
GSP shipments should be delivered by Canada Post when it gets to Canada.
And you already paid for it - GSP collects the payment up front, so you should be good.
Jan 18, 2017
2 posts
dmxlite wrote:
Jan 20th, 2017 2:24 pm
GSP shipments should be delivered by Canada Post when it gets to Canada.
And you already paid for it - GSP collects the payment up front, so you should be good.
Thats good news, thanks!
Jan 31, 2007
646 posts
341 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Sometime I wonder this is happening when you ship e.g. a $50 item with USPS vs UPS:

Ship via USPS: USPS send the package to Canada, unless Canadian custom decide to inspect/tax it, it just got hand over to Canada post.
Ship via UPS: UPS will MAKE SURE they take it to Canada custom office, beg them to collect $6.5 HST on it, so they CAN charge you for $35 brokerage fees.
Jun 6, 2010
57 posts
4 upvotes
662drsdn wrote:
Jan 6th, 2017 12:20 pm
fml, ordered a $150 item that the seller told me they would ship usps of course they didn't, they sent it fedex. Item arrived about a month ago no bill or anything.
Today i get a letter from fedex wanting $75 including a $10 advancement fee and $45 clearance fee!
Anything i can do or am a ffff'd at this point :( ugh
An update to mine, i ended up phoning and complaining about their BS fee's, they waived them "but only this one time" I ended up paying $16 instead of $75.. don't worry fed-ex you wont have to waive them again because there will not be a next time.
Mar 25, 2008
18 posts
3 upvotes
I just got a letter from fedex for 35 dollars. I never signed the package at delivery the fedex guy just dropped it off . How can i avoid paying it ?
Dec 1, 2006
29 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Hello everyone,

I need your help. The retailer I purchase my product from is charging me taxes on my behalf, but I called FedEx and they said the shipment is set up that the recipient will have to pay taxes. Basically that means I need to pay taxes twice! Is my only course of action to contact the retailer? They are not being responsive, what are my options if they don't refund me?

Btw, has anyone set up a FedEx account before? It says if you have an account you don't need to pay brokerage fee and also it charges straight to your credit card. This is perfect as I live in a condo and they won't accept my package if I have cash on delivery. Does that mean FedEx will automatically recognize I have an account when my address is in the system?

Thanks
Feb 22, 2016
826 posts
428 upvotes
It's amazing that this thread has gone on this long.

The answer is so simple -- use USPS only, and nobody else. Or go to the U.S., get a mailbox somewhere near the border (UPS Store for example) and have all your U.S. purchases shipped there so you can carry it across the border yourself.

In the latter case, the cost to rent the box should be a lot less than the brokerage fees and taxes you're avoiding. Which is why that's the best option if you buy a lot of stuff from the U.S., also useful if you like to order from vendors that refuse to ship out of the country or charge ridiculous shipping rates for it (a common gripe on eBay).
Feb 22, 2016
826 posts
428 upvotes
cheapshopper wrote:
Jan 20th, 2017 4:10 pm
Sometime I wonder this is happening when you ship e.g. a $50 item with USPS vs UPS:

Ship via USPS: USPS send the package to Canada, unless Canadian custom decide to inspect/tax it, it just got hand over to Canada post.
Ship via UPS: UPS will MAKE SURE they take it to Canada custom office, beg them to collect $6.5 HST on it, so they CAN charge you for $35 brokerage fees.
Best post in the entire thread! Bottom line - if you willingly ship UPS and get screwed like this, blame the idiot looking back at you in the mirror. You knew it was coming but...
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
2327 posts
1054 upvotes
Vancouver
Anybody know what the current fedex brokerage charges are? Is it usually a flat fee or is it a % of value of item? I'm looking to purchase a watch in the US but will be shipped by Fedex International Priority. I'm trying to calculate how much I will pay in brokerage fee/duty/taxes
Penalty Box
Dec 19, 2009
2554 posts
921 upvotes
Jermyzy wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 5:42 pm
Anybody know what the current fedex brokerage charges are? Is it usually a flat fee or is it a % of value of item? I'm looking to purchase a watch in the US but will be shipped by Fedex International Priority. I'm trying to calculate how much I will pay in brokerage fee/duty/taxes
This would most likely be the clearance fees and they would be charged on the CDN dollar value of the goods, plus add GST on top of this fee. Than add the HST on top of that same dollar value for the goods plus any duties if applicable.

http://www.fedex.com/us/fedex/shippings ... -fees.html
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1397 posts
287 upvotes
Ottawa
Noway. Use USPS instead. Or use Fedex or ups express service. No ground.
L.I.F.E. - Let It Flow Effortlessly - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Enjoy your candle of life. May it warm you & light your way.
Jan 31, 2007
646 posts
341 upvotes
Richmond Hill
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 12:44 pm
Best post in the entire thread! Bottom line - if you willingly ship UPS and get screwed like this, blame the idiot looking back at you in the mirror. You knew it was coming but...

It happen to me before. I choice USPS as shipping method, as it is cheapest, and I know it will be trouble free.
Issue is, the seller "Free Upgrade" it to UPS with no extra charge , since he ship the item 2 days late, without telling me.
I end up paying $35+ for a $45 item.
Custom fees, Advance fees, xxx fees, yyyy fees.
Feb 22, 2016
826 posts
428 upvotes
cheapshopper wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 10:06 pm
It happen to me before. I choice USPS as shipping method, as it is cheapest, and I know it will be trouble free.
Issue is, the seller "Free Upgrade" it to UPS with no extra charge , since he ship the item 2 days late, without telling me.
I end up paying $35+ for a $45 item.
Custom fees, Advance fees, xxx fees, yyyy fees.
That would be a problem, maybe the best suggestion is to add in the notes/special requests "Must ship USPS, do not change method" or words to that effect. One time a vendor did that to us and UPS wanted $100 in fees/duties/taxes for a $100 item. We refused delivery so it went back to sender, and we told the idiot "try again this time use USPS". And go figure we received the item with no duties/taxes owing!