Shopping Discussion

Way to avoid outrageous UPS/FedEX brokerage fees !

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 11:03 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
1360 posts
82 upvotes
I'm expecting an item worth approx $300 CDN to be delivered in the next few days (in the GTA). Unfortunately, it was shipped via UPS. I'm expecting an absurb charge from UPS. I'm looking into self clearing to save on the brokerage fee. I did some quick research and just wanted to confirm a few things.

Am I correct in that I need to head to the "Inland Office" at Pearson (TORONTO LESTER B. PEARSON INTERNATIONAL AIRPORTCOMMERCIAL OPERATIONS (4973))? I recall there being a CBSA office at Union station; is this location no longer available?

Can I refuse delivery (the package is already in Canada) and tell UPS I want to self clear? Will I get 5 business days to clear the package?
Apr 10, 2017
1 posts
You think so?
I was given a quotation by UPS that the brokage fee is over 180$ and it was shipped by Air which cost over 160$.
While this fee isn't cheap, on the video we see UPS Guy came to the door buzzer and left within seconds...
So yes UPS service is fast to the point that even spending a minute to try to contact the receipted when or before the package arrive is not worth it by the ground custom carrier.
Fantastic:x
Nov 16, 2010
466 posts
19 upvotes
has anyone shipped item from UK using fedex?

Duty Calculator says i just pay 12% tax on the value of the item, why do i think that is not true?
Jan 11, 2009
102 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
I recently ordered a $300 watch on Ebay coming from Italy via FedEx International Priority and I got hit with a $81 bill.
Jun 30, 2008
221 posts
8 upvotes
Burnaby
FedEx Express charges $10+GST for their brokerage/handling fee. The rest goes to the government (duties/PST/GST).
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
1360 posts
82 upvotes
pepper3245 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2017 3:16 pm
FedEx Express charges $10+GST for their brokerage/handling fee. The rest goes to the government (duties/PST/GST).
Any idea what the charges would be for FedEx international economy?
Jun 30, 2008
221 posts
8 upvotes
Burnaby
International Priority and International Economy duty/tax charges are the same. Package gets flagged by customs, Fedex tacks $10 on top of whatever customs collects.

GST/HST/PST gets charged for sure (over $25 declared value I believe)
Declared value gets converted to CDN and duty (if eligible) are collected
May 10, 2017
1 posts
I don't understand why self clearing or shipping to po box across the border is acceptable to everyone here.

You've already paid for shipping to your door. The courier company accepted the payment knowing that there will be customs clearance since the destination is a different country. Obviously they won't shoulder the duties and taxes but anything extra is illegal.

I'll start a petition and post a link here
Jul 29, 2013
825 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
I ship with both Fedex and UPS all the time and there are a few tricks
1. Open an account with them and have a credit card on file tell the shipper to put you account number to bill duties and taxes to. For some shipments with Fedex you can upload you own docs.
2. If possible opt for Express with Fedex or World wide Express I think with UPS the higher level of service which usually costs less than the broker fees.
3. If the shipper will let you ship on your own account it is some times cheaper and will give more flexibility with submitting documents and choosing service levels.
4. Call and complain Fedex in my experience almost always waives the fees if you say you have an account and the shipper forgot to put your info in :)
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
1501 posts
35 upvotes
kimbot wrote:
Feb 28th, 2017 9:10 am
Am I correct in that I need to head to the "Inland Office" at Pearson (TORONTO LESTER B. PEARSON INTERNATIONAL AIRPORTCOMMERCIAL OPERATIONS (4973))? I recall there being a CBSA office at Union station; is this location no longer available?

Can I refuse delivery (the package is already in Canada) and tell UPS I want to self clear? Will I get 5 business days to clear the package?
Yep, they had the office on Yonge & Front St, VERY convenient and you can pop in anytime, drop off the invoice you get from UPS/FEDEX, pay HST only on the package and have it cleared immediately...

But now they moved that office right next to airport (in June 2016) and self-clearing just turned into a lot more b.s. - as in, who in the world is gonna go drive to the airport to save $30-40 in extra brokerage fees? I thought about it once or twice, but now I'm like unless it's over $100, forget it, not worth it...

Thanks to our lovely government for making it even harder to do what we should be able to do easily, and get slapped on the wallet even harder by these ridiculous brokerage fees...
Aug 20, 2012
0 posts
Toronto
fantom wrote:
May 12th, 2017 4:00 pm
Yep, they had the office on Yonge & Front St, VERY convenient and you can pop in anytime, drop off the invoice you get from UPS/FEDEX, pay HST only on the package and have it cleared immediately...

But now they moved that office right next to airport (in June 2016) and self-clearing just turned into a lot more b.s. - as in, who in the world is gonna go drive to the airport to save $30-40 in extra brokerage fees? I thought about it once or twice, but now I'm like unless it's over $100, forget it, not worth it...

Thanks to our lovely government for making it even harder to do what we should be able to do easily, and get slapped on the wallet even harder by these ridiculous brokerage fees...
Does anyone know what the address is for the Pearson office? I can't seem to find it through the website. Also, can you get there if you walked from the airport?
Sep 17, 2016
200 posts
74 upvotes
actng wrote:
May 13th, 2012 2:26 am

that particular experience you cited would not incur any brokerage/duties if shipped via UPS either, assuming the forms are filled out correctly ahead of time by the shipper.

Fedex is actually worse than UPS because Fedex delivers the package "free" up front... gets you to sign for it and accept delivery, then 4 weeks later, they bill you for the same charges UPS would. With UPS at least you get to reject the package.
True. About a year ago I got charged about $100 for s DVD course ordered from the US that cost about $500. I was informed in the mail about the charge about a month later, ignored it, got an invoice maybe twice again after and that, ignored it again, and that was the end of it
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2003
1634 posts
209 upvotes
Vancouver
Sorry to bump an old thread...

If a US retailer charges GST, would I still be charged brokerage/duties if it's shipped FedEx?
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
1360 posts
82 upvotes
Does anyone know approximately how much I would save self clearing a DHL express package vs just paying DHL? I bought a $240 USD ($307) value item and DHL is asking $118.35. I'm expecting to pay taxes on the $307 and a duty fee, but is that all I'm responsible for?

I'm trying to determine if it's worth my time self clearing (I live about 20 mins from the closest office).