Shopping Discussion

Way to avoid outrageous UPS/FedEX brokerage fees !

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2018 7:46 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1441 posts
742 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
Based on HST or 13% (ONT) you would have taxes of $39.00 on the item itself but you would also have HST on DHL service fee in that total. As for duty payable, unless we know what the item is or where it originated no one can answer that question. Did DHL not give you a classification number that you can use to see what the duty is?
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
May 28, 2007
75 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
thediamondshopper wrote:
May 12th, 2017 4:09 am
I ship with both Fedex and UPS all the time and there are a few tricks
1. Open an account with them and have a credit card on file tell the shipper to put you account number to bill duties and taxes to. For some shipments with Fedex you can upload you own docs.
Appreciate the tip - Tried this today... Created new account after multiple failed attempts (submit button not working on Safari, multiple refreshes and finally submitted, but received page display error on Chrome - but appears account was created). Now how do I get a FedEx account number?? I was never prompted for a credit card.

When I go to FedEx > My Profile > Account Management -- I am asked to enter an account number. But I don't have one yet FedEx, because you haven't given it to me! Ugh. Either I am dense or this website really is horrible to use. Guess will try calling them.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
4796 posts
848 upvotes
Thornhill
UPS lied to me today. Told me I would have to go to Windsor to clear customs and when I told them I don't have to and can clear it at a customs office near me the story magically changed and they agreed that I can also do this...if that's more convenient... WTF!??!?!??!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!! UPS are a bunch of fuc#$@$#n liars!!!
Dec 9, 2016
2 posts
dazz wrote:
Dec 19th, 2017 5:10 pm
UPS lied to me today. Told me I would have to go to Windsor to clear customs and when I told them I don't have to and can clear it at a customs office near me the story magically changed and they agreed that I can also do this...if that's more convenient... WTF!??!?!??!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!! UPS are a bunch of fuc#$@$#n liars!!!
This must be a new thing for them because they said the same thing to me yesterday. Actually my entire experience yesterday was THE most frustrated I have ever been with just about any company.

First off the last time UPS tried to ship something to me I asked to pre-clear my shipment and their answer to me was, since a delivery attempt was already made you cannot pre-clear, next time call us first. Ok so thats what I did and this is how it went down......

- When I got the shipping info from seller I contacted UPS to inform them i would be pre-clearing
- They said I could not pre-clear as the shipment was not in Canada yet. Not once, but TWICE, TWO people gave me the following instructions: WAIT FOR THE FIRST DELIVERY ATTEMPT, REFUSE THE SHIPMENT, THEN CALL BACK TO PRECLEAR. Seemed odd to me but i called twice and got that answer both times. This also completely contradicted what had happened the last time because this is exactly what i had done and was told I could not pre-clear becaue a delivery attempt was already made!
- So i get the notice that the shipment is at the border. Then two things happen. 1) I get a notice indicating that brokerage fees of $34 are due, then 2) I get a call that I have to authorize UPS to clear the shipment. Well thats odd, if brokerage fees are due and there is already a customs invoice then that would imply its already been cleared!
- A quick side note, the brokerage fees they were asking also did not correspond to the value of the product according to their own chart, but thats a whole other issue
- So this is where the supreme frustration begins.
- First I’m told I have to go to Windsor to pre-clear.... a no I dont, I can go to the office in Mississauga. Then, after speaking to 2 other agents, and 2 other supervisors they tell me the following “I cannot pre-clear because the package has been “manifested” by customs”” and this is now “out of their hands” It was like pulling teeth but the only definition of manifsted by customs they could give me (because I have no idea what that means) was that customs deemed that a brokerage had to be used to clear the package.
- I will spare the agonizing details of my 4 phone calls to get this answer but this is what I was left with. On top of all this they could not answer any other questions directly, for example how they came about the brokerage fees I supposedly owed (from a previous message they sent) and why the charges were corresponding to a higher value shipment. I cant even begin to describe the frustration, i wanted to jump through the phone and shake them!
- I decided to call the cbsa myself, I told them what UPs told me and they said basically that UPS was full of it. They dont even know what “manifested by customs” means and it is not a term they use. They said a personal package, $80 in value, low weight, there is NO reason why a brokerage would be necessary to clear. They said the only thing they could think of was that they already cleared the shipment without authorization and this was their way of handling this. Again, I like to ask more than one person so i also spoke to a supervisor at CBSA and they said UPS is full of it.

Very long story short I called UPS back a 5th time, told them again i was not allowing them to clear and i was not paying the fees. They finally made a “one time exception” Oh gee thanks UPS.

So I still dont have my shipment, we will see what happens. But short of not buying from any company that uses UPS to deliver, how can I avoid this again? Honestly who has the energy or time for this!

Any advice would be appreciated.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
1074 posts
663 upvotes
Do we get charged any fees with FedEx for an RMA (Warranty replacement) package?
Jun 22, 2011
98 posts
11 upvotes
barmadrid wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 6:18 pm
Do we get charged any fees with FedEx for an RMA (Warranty replacement) package?
As long as the package is marked correctly, no.

If they want to charge, explain the situation, then get it sorted with the rma company
Sep 28, 2017
241 posts
138 upvotes
why does this same topic come up about once every 4 months. someone posts how they were slipped the hot beef without lube when they received their package that was ordered from the states... i hate to tell you reality, but because of trump and how scaredy cat trudeau is to stand up to him due to relations and free trade it's only going to get worse ordering from the US. the best means to get around this is to get a US package place to accept your packages, plan a day to make a trip across and pick them up then clear everything yourself.

i swear... most of you like to complain that it's too much of a hassle to drive and do that, but then complain you weren't kissed before you were f@#ked because you were lazy and let the courier clear it for you and then act shocked with this "how dare they" attitude at the amount they charged. lol, the courier is out to make money, not do you a solid and give you a bro charge...

i can see some of you are veterans on here or at least been on a while so you know the drill, you know the limits before you are charged duty/taxes/fees... so you can order it and deal or look at other means and if none of them work in your favor then the option would be NOT to order from the states.

for every item i see on say ebay i see a canadian seller. then in most cases you aren't paying tax and just a shipping charge. but the one thing that gets me is that you don't like the way it's shipped yet YOU USE IT ANYWAY !!! lol. so the whole thing starts and ends with your decision... so you only have yourself to blame for the outcome.
Jun 22, 2011
98 posts
11 upvotes
peytonpeanut2017 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 7:12 pm
why does this same topic come up about once every 4 months. someone posts how they were slipped the hot beef without lube when they received their package that was ordered from the states... i hate to tell you reality, but because of trump and how scaredy cat trudeau is to stand up to him due to relations and free trade it's only going to get worse ordering from the US. the best means to get around this is to get a US package place to accept your packages, plan a day to make a trip across and pick them up then clear everything yourself.

i swear... most of you like to complain that it's too much of a hassle to drive and do that, but then complain you weren't kissed before you were f@#ked because you were lazy and let the courier clear it for you and then act shocked with this "how dare they" attitude at the amount they charged. lol, the courier is out to make money, not do you a solid and give you a bro charge...

i can see some of you are veterans on here or at least been on a while so you know the drill, you know the limits before you are charged duty/taxes/fees... so you can order it and deal or look at other means and if none of them work in your favor then the option would be NOT to order from the states.

for every item i see on say ebay i see a canadian seller. then in most cases you aren't paying tax and just a shipping charge. but the one thing that gets me is that you don't like the way it's shipped yet YOU USE IT ANYWAY !!! lol. so the whole thing starts and ends with your decision... so you only have yourself to blame for the outcome.
Why you would even bother posting third trash is the real question. I don't think people are arguing the taxes, but the ridiculous fees.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1149 posts
391 upvotes
London
MattyMattMatt wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 6:28 pm

If they want to charge, explain the situation, then get it sorted with the rma company
actually i did an rma with xfx. they shipped it back by FedEx ground. xfx declared it properly they put down that it was a warranty replacement u can see it on the customs paper work. the gov did not charge any tax at all on the package no duty nothing but the jerks at fedex still sent an invoice for $9 they are charging it as a service for clearing the package... i called fedex and complained but the keep trying to blame customs for charging tax but the fee is not tax its a fedex service fee... tried contacting a manger did no good complained on there facebook page did no good.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
1074 posts
663 upvotes
MattyMattMatt wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 6:28 pm

aaron158 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 7:42 pm
actually i did an rma with xfx. they shipped it back by FedEx ground. xfx declared it properly they put down that it was a warranty replacement u can see it on the customs paper work. the gov did not charge any tax at all on the package no duty nothing but the jerks at fedex still sent an invoice for $9 they are charging it as a service for clearing the package... i called fedex and complained but the keep trying to blame customs for charging tax but the fee is not tax its a fedex service fee... tried contacting a manger did no good complained on there facebook page did no good.
Thanks for you inputs!

Looks like they did their job properly and they will be paying all the fees! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
(See attached)
Images
  • Untitled.png
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2006
1074 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
FedEx have just billed me $70 for brokerage on top of duties and taxes and done nothing to help me with my 7-day $800 exemption asking me to do this all by myself. Good job.