Shopping Discussion

Way to avoid outrageous UPS/FedEX brokerage fees !

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2022 6:23 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
deal_with_singh wrote: Well...ordered about 15k in silver Pandas last month, and the shipping fedex charges include all brokerage fees, you only have to pay the duties and taxes. And because the silver I ordered was .999, it didn't have any duties.

They ask you to fax/scan and email them a form to give them authorization to act in behalf as your broker at no charge, and that's pretty much it.

On the other hand, not the case with UPS. They simply come to your door with a bill of an outrageous amount.
All Fedex is doing is tricking you buy including the brokerage fee in the shipping charges. You are still paying extra for brokerage. It's just embedded in the total fee.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
bl2009 wrote: I just called FedEx and pretended that I am expecting package from US and want to clear it myself.
The agent told me that if the package is Fedex Ground I couldn't clear it myself because it stays at the border until it gets cleared :razz: Stupid moron.

I am not vouching for UPS at all because they are all the same, but with UPS you just go to them, pick up the necessary papers and clear it yourself.

One thing about USPS/Canada Post - since the package is passed to Canada Post you cannot clear it yourself. I spoke to CBSA agent and he informed me that.

RubberCheese - You are very welcome. I am glad I was able to help. The more people know this information the better for us - the customers.
No you can't clear it yourself with USPS/Canada Post. However, the big advantage is I get at least 3-4 packages a year via USPS/Canada Post with values up to $200 and have yet to be ever charged anything. Also, USPS shipping charges are lower than with couriers, even if Canada Post does charge a brokerage fee it is limited to $10 and lastly, even if they charge HST, you would be paying that anyway. I believe shipments under $40 are always exempt from brokerage fees or HST with USPS/Canada Post.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4624 posts
1064 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
eonibm wrote: All Fedex is doing is tricking you buy including the brokerage fee in the shipping charges. You are still paying extra for brokerage. It's just embedded in the total fee.
You know you're quoting posts that are almost 2 years old and the points they brought up were probably already answered, right?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
dmxlite wrote: You know you're quoting posts that are almost 2 years old and the points they brought up were probably already answered, right?
No, didn't check. I don't pay attention to when quotes were made if the thread was resurrected by someone. Still germaine. But thanks for pointing that out!
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
4391 posts
1505 upvotes
QC
You can do the broker job yourself.

Find a low value shipment program border office. You only pay taxes on the declared value.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
Great thread but I'm still a little confused.

All you need is this??
1/ copy of receipt from purchase
2/ tracking number
3/ address of warehouse package is at in canada
4/ wait until the package is in canada

Don't you need something that states the country of origin? Receipt won't show that.

Can you do this without receiving anything from UPS? Or do you NEED this commercial invoice? This is also called shipment invoice?

Can you get the shipment invoice as soon as it has shipped from UPS (before it hits the border) And just take that and the sales receipt to CBSA?
Apr 8, 2007
175 posts
39 upvotes
redgrandam wrote: Great thread but I'm still a little confused.

All you need is this??
1/ copy of receipt from purchase
2/ tracking number
3/ address of warehouse package is at in canada
4/ wait until the package is in canada

Don't you need something that states the country of origin? Receipt won't show that.

Can you do this without receiving anything from UPS? Or do you NEED this commercial invoice? This is also called shipment invoice?

Can you get the shipment invoice as soon as it has shipped from UPS (before it hits the border) And just take that and the sales receipt to CBSA?
All you need is a copy of the receipt (commercial invoice will also suffice) & the tracking number. The warehouse is irrelevant & you most certainly don't have to wait till it's in Canada, in fact I always take care of it as soon as I get the tracking info & before it has the chance to leave the originating country. Take those 2 items to your local Canada Border Services Agency & pay whatever they charge you. It's always a good idea to let the shipping company know you're doing this, but as long as you have the receipt from CBSA, the driver will give you your package. Never had any issues with UPS or FedEx doing this.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
drunkonsunday wrote: All you need is a copy of the receipt (commercial invoice will also suffice) & the tracking number. The warehouse is irrelevant & you most certainly don't have to wait till it's in Canada, in fact I always take care of it as soon as I get the tracking info & before it has the chance to leave the originating country. Take those 2 items to your local Canada Border Services Agency & pay whatever they charge you. It's always a good idea to let the shipping company know you're doing this, but as long as you have the receipt from CBSA, the driver will give you your package. Never had any issues with UPS or FedEx doing this.
Awesome. So they don't need the country of origin for the goods? Just to be clear. Thought they would. Just that link in OP indicates more info is needed. I plan to do as you say. Clear right away.
Apr 8, 2007
175 posts
39 upvotes
You should know the country of origin, but I think I've only been asked 2 or 3 times in the last 10 years.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
drunkonsunday wrote: You should know the country of origin, but I think I've only been asked 2 or 3 times in the last 10 years.
What documents would that be on then? I would guess China. But that's just an assumption.
Apr 8, 2007
175 posts
39 upvotes
flyz wrote: Just don't ship UPS/Fedex ground. It may look cheap to ship but with added brokerage, you're better with selecting their 2 day air services.
Those have brokerage included in the costs and usually are cheaper than ground services. You'll also get your package much faster.
Some times your options are limited to these. As an example, I order chemicals for my car in the U.S. and the only carrier that will ship it is FedEx, and they will only do that with ground shipping. The person I buy from sends me a copy of the commercial invoice when he packs the box & I clear it the same day. FedEx gets it to my door within 2 days of placing the order. I would agree that if you can get it shipped USPS that's the easiest to deal with, but the others can be done without much hassle if you're able to make it to border services to pay the duty on it before it arrives.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3759 posts
1397 upvotes
Ancaster
Great thread.

UPS is still charging these exorbitant brokerage fees.

I just made a purchase from the USA & got the UPS sticker left on my front door with $130 brokerage fee.

I've started the ball rolling with UPS by telling them that I'm going to "self clear" at the CBSA office at the Hamilton Airport.
Nov 7, 2013
5 posts
Port Coquitlam, BC
Guys... I just need an explanation..
I'm furious....
A friend of mine in NY, she sent me some body care product 1lotion, 1body scrubs, and 3 bath supplies.
The total cost was about $40.
and today, I received it, the import charges was 41.16.
W T F
I still had to receive it since I didn't want them to send it back. It was a gift..
Anybody has experienced this...? Please...I just need an explanation...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
Justinki wrote: Guys... I just need an explanation..
I'm furious....
A friend of mine in NY, she sent me some body care product 1lotion, 1body scrubs, and 3 bath supplies.
The total cost was about $40.
and today, I received it, the import charges was 41.16.
W T F
I still had to receive it since I didn't want them to send it back. It was a gift..
Anybody has experienced this...? Please...I just need an explanation...
1. what carrier
2. What is the breakdown on charges
3. Was it marked as a gift
4. Person likely didn't send it USPS as they should have.
5. If there was an issue you should get the info then have them hold parcel at depot.
Nov 7, 2013
5 posts
Port Coquitlam, BC
It was UPS.
TC:5.25, OIC:34.2, EXCISE RATE:1.71 If I add them up: 41.16 that I paid.
SIMA CODE:43.91 (I don't know what that means)

Thanks for the reply
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
And the value on the manifest or whatever?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
Bump.

I received a package via Fedex IP service, and it appears they only charge a flat fee of 10$ + hst.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
EPcjay wrote: Bump.

I received a package via Fedex IP service, and it appears they only charge a flat fee of 10$ + hst.
It's weird how it works but most of the time the top/fastest shipping methods don't usually come with absurd customs fees. I think it's the cheaper shipping methods that has high fees, as for FedEx IP service it says "Door-to-door, customs-cleared service." under additional information so that might mean customs fees should be cheaper.

FedEx is known for mailing you the customs bill months after delivery so watch out for that if the invoice you have isn't really the customs fees!
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
3503 posts
615 upvotes
Ottawa
usps/canadapost
Hello
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1272 posts
765 upvotes
The original link is dead, does anyone have a source / similar instructions to self declare and avoid UPS fees??

(Got a delivery notice today they want $41 for a $53 item -___-)