• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 3:01 pm
[OP]
Sep 5, 2013
8 posts
1 upvote
London

Wayfair terrible experiences

I am rehashing my gf's experience's, as I was there when the packages arrived. I couldn't believe the state of these products and I'm pretty sure she has learned her lesson and not ordered from them again.
I wanted to share the story.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Purchased & received a wood table: ( ~ $3-400 Cdn + taxes):

(i) Received 1 package that had been taped over multiple times, with multiple layers of cardboard that was falling apart.
(ii) Table was warped, misaligned and missing some hardware.
(iii) They had made attempts to attach wood together with screws that were still sticking out.
(iv) Some type of insect cocoon/webbing all over the underside & within crevices of the wood.

2. Purchased & received a wood table ( ~ $700 Cdn. + taxes):

(i) Upon taking the table out of the box, the table was so horrid smelling that her pets - cat & dog, went into respiratory distress, even though they were 6 feet away from table.
- It's as if they stained the table and packaged it immediately without waiting for the stain to dry. Incredibly strong odor.

--------------------------------

Anyway - I'm shocked at how expensive these products are, considering the state they were received.
I wouldn't ever recommend someone buy something from Wayfair.

They (Wayfair) did do right by her and refund her but the point is - they are sending trash out that is clearly not caught by Quality control, if that even exists.
I don't care if they are sending products out from various warehouses - it's their job to deliver usable products to the customer.
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
5647 posts
1673 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Thank you for your feedback on wayfair. I'm sure that some people had good experience with them but we never ordered from them because:

1. They look like a more expensive Wish website.
2. They must do drop shipping because how can a store carry over 10000 coffee table so no wonder they don't do quality control when things ship out
3. I do not really like their site. Way to many products with a "From" price that after you check the item it's mostly double in price because they give you the price of the smallest item from their list. (Like Wish and Aliexpress)

That's just my opinion but again I'm sure some people have good things to say and since we never ordered I cannot comment more :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7787 posts
4565 upvotes
Edmonton
We've ordered a number of times from Wayfair, and had positive experiences. Most of the things have been "name brand", though. For example, we ordered our Blanco sink from there. Saved several hundred dollars compared to local B&M stores, and got it quicker than they could. Ordered a corner sink from them, turned out to be too small for our space so we arranged to return it. No questions asked on the return, and they refunded the money to my CC as soon as the UPS code was registered in the system as being returned (like, 2 hours after I dropped it off at the depot).

C
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7787 posts
4565 upvotes
Edmonton
BTW, I'm not saying they don't have crap, or saying the OP doesn't know what they're talking about. Just adding another data point. :)

C
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
5647 posts
1673 upvotes
Moncton, NB
CNeufeld wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 11:34 am
We've ordered a number of times from Wayfair, and had positive experiences. Most of the things have been "name brand", though. For example, we ordered our Blanco sink from there. Saved several hundred dollars compared to local B&M stores, and got it quicker than they could. Ordered a corner sink from them, turned out to be too small for our space so we arranged to return it. No questions asked on the return, and they refunded the money to my CC as soon as the UPS code was registered in the system as being returned (like, 2 hours after I dropped it off at the depot).

C
Nice to see a positive experience. it's strange with the ammount of products they sell that we don't see deals from there on the hot deals section.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2015
3735 posts
27089 upvotes
Ordered and installed a light fixture from Wayfair this weekend.

Instructions were lacking ( had to put fixture together), this is essentially the manufacturer’s fault.

My spouse commented how well the packing and shipping of the product was when received.

First experience with Wayfair and I am pleased and would order again or recommend to others.Image
Images
  • 0C1A2F02-B563-42E4-96AB-F937C71FC331.jpeg
Nov 12, 2012
372 posts
134 upvotes
Port Moody
I have personally avoided ordering from them just because they aren't as popular, and I think with merchants like this, the consistency in shipping, quality control and customer service will likely differ greatly. Which would explain your experience, vs. a couple of positive experiences I've heard about from friends. Besides, Amazon, Walmart and Ikea usually have what I need for cheaper...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9944 posts
4427 upvotes
Toronto
Ordered a couch from Wayfair last week and arrived after few days from USA. Couch, no issues. A desk is also coming from Wayfair, let's see how that goes.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Oct 7, 2003
276 posts
15 upvotes
My worst experience by far was from Wayfair.

Shipped late, Missing parts, then kept sending the wrong parts, sent a new order and then had to dig my parts from there. Took 2 months to resolve and had to sleep ok the ground cuz it was a bed frame!

Even the manager who I talked to in the end to help resolve this (only cuz I insisted on elevating it) was surprised about the amount of notes.

Doesn’t help when they ship replacement parts via regular post so it takes like 7 days to receive.

Easily worst experience I have ever had and have not and will not recommend them to anyone
Jun 26, 2007
594 posts
305 upvotes
I bought a cat tree from Wayfair last year (this one, specifically https://www.wayfair.ca/pet/pdp/archie-o ... d=30979741). I don't know much about cat furniture brands, but it arrived in perfect shape and wasn't difficult to assemble. After assembly it looked exactly like the picture and the cat really likes it. Considering it's quite large and I believe I paid about $69.99 for it (pre-tax) including shipping I'm pretty happy with it.

I believe their business model is somewhat like Amazon, where some stuff is warehoused and other stuff is drop-shipped. Prices on some things are really low so I'd order again.
Apr 16, 2009
157 posts
18 upvotes
My wife has bought from Wayfair lots of times, and each time, the stuff arrived quickly and in good condition. Pretty satisfied.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)