None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
1674 posts
2 upvotes

Ways to get out of jury duty?

Are there any?
i got summoned for jury duty this month.
Company will acknowledge it and pay for the day off but i really don't want to go.
it's at 830 am, which is when work starts, if im gonna be up that early, i rather go to work.
it's on a wednesday too, so it's not like if i get outta there early, i get an early start to the weekend.
Share:
245 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
3821 posts
242 upvotes
Calgary
Just fulfil your civic obligations.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5653 posts
147 upvotes
New Westminster
You are going to have a hard time trying to get out BEFORE you get selected for an actual jury, however,

when the times comes that you walk up in front of the judge, prosecutor and defence lawyers ... put your hand up. When the judge asks you "Yes???". Ask him to explain Jury Nullification ... after maybe a bit of yelling, you will be dismissed.
Banned
Oct 3, 2006
1710 posts
1 upvote
nx2k wrote:
Oct 5th, 2006 6:22 pm
Are there any?
i got summoned for jury duty this month.
Company will acknowledge it and pay for the day off but i really don't want to go.
it's at 830 am, which is when work starts, if im gonna be up that early, i rather go to work.
it's on a wednesday too, so it's not like if i get outta there early, i get an early start to the weekend.
To start its your civial duty to serve on the jury if picked.If you don't show in alot of the time they will hunt you down like a dog.For the wednesday that is just when they will select the jury the trial will not start untill the next week.Its not all that hard you sit don't do anything get paid a very easy job.
Feb 17, 2004
234 posts
12 upvotes
Haha - when I got picked I was talking to this guy in the jury pool before we went into the court room for selection and he was pissed because he was a business owner and couldn't spare the time, so when he got selected from the group and stood infront of the judge, whenever the judge would say something or ask a question, the guy would stick his head out, tilt his head and cup his ear and say "pardon, could you repeat that please, I can't quite hear you" - frustrated, the prosecutors and judge quickly dismissed him. Masterfully done in my opinion and left me chuckling.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6287 posts
9 upvotes
Waterloo
Try searching.

There are many threads on this around here.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2005
1037 posts
2 upvotes
Pickering
i got my letter in the mail last week saying i'm summoned for the week of oct. 16th...
i called them and told them i was a uni student, so i got it deferred.
Oct 7, 2005
682 posts
1 upvote
I've seen 2 other jury duty threads since joining the forum I believe...I think you should just go do it.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15426 posts
804 upvotes
Woodbridge
I got a Questionnaire to be in Jury?

I sent it and don't mind...found out my work will pay me 8/12 hours! I'd rather get off work! LOL
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2005
5022 posts
6 upvotes
bembol wrote:
Oct 6th, 2006 1:02 am
I got a Questionnaire to be in Jury?

I sent it and don't mind...found out my work will pay me 8/12 hours! I'd rather get off work! LOL

8/12 hours?
Apr 16, 2002
787 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
CSR wrote:
Oct 6th, 2006 2:06 am
I thought Canadian courts didn't have juries.
:lol:

Then you clearly don't know much about our legal system.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15426 posts
804 upvotes
Woodbridge
EH100501AC wrote:
Oct 6th, 2006 1:12 am
8/12 hours?
I'll get paid 8 of 12 hours of work.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
3791 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
I did it a year ago, all I did was play gameboy the whole week.
× < >