Entertainment

WB/DC "Shazam!" Zachary Levi David F. Sandberg (formerly co-starring Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 10th, 2019 5:06 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
Ill go, even after the Justice League fiasco. Captain Marvel has been all over the board over the decades, must be the New 52 take on it
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17436 posts
12787 upvotes
Toronto

No one seems to remember the Hanna Barbera cartoon genie Shazzan!

Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10380 upvotes
jenviea wrote:

No one seems to remember the Hanna Barbera cartoon genie Shazzan!

I do. These have been out on DVD for some time but I had them all from Boomerang years ago.

"Is that the extent of your magical powers? (he says with a smirk)" after the Master of Magic tries (in vain) to defeat him in a contest of magic...
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10963 posts
791 upvotes
Scarborough
Looks like DC is on a roll now that Zack Snyder is not around and they aren't being controlled by the execs. The directors and these great characters have a chance to shine.

Reviews seem to be its like Big but with superheroes. Only saw Big last year and that was an amazing film so I have high hopes for Shazam. Plus it was filmed in Toronto so I can't wait.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10380 upvotes
Sivanna is seemingly the New 52 version, so this should be interesting. He's no longer the typical cackling 1940's mad scientist but a much better villain with real power. This might end up being a sleeper hit after all...
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
3741 posts
3965 upvotes
Toronto
Man the last DC super hero/villain movie filmed in TO kinda flopped in theaters and it's had an A list actor to boot. Hope this one doesn't follow in it's foot steps.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37133 upvotes
I'm really looking forward to Shazam. It's funny how my center of gravity for entertainment is shifting from Marvel to DC, at least in this one instance.

Virtually no pandering, just good old fashioned fun.

God bless.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17436 posts
12787 upvotes
Toronto
A very 'Big' clip

Nov 25, 2003
716 posts
449 upvotes
BC [what me worry?]
some1not wrote: Man the last DC super hero/villain movie filmed in TO kinda flopped in theaters and it's had an A list actor to boot. Hope this one doesn't follow in it's foot steps.
Suicide Squad? A horrible mess of a movie *BUT* it hardly flopped.

325 million domestic & 420 million foreign markets. 745+ million isn't a flop. Just not in the billionaire revenues club.
I've been away for a while....
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37133 upvotes
This movie is such good old fashioned fun. Each clip is better than the last one.

If only Shazam could crossover to MCU and permanently bench Captain Morose. In it's dumb fun, Shazam shows you what's possible when you aren't virtue signalling and god-mode'ing the shit out of a story to preach to your audience.

Keep it up, DC.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
4549 posts
2623 upvotes
The trailers don’t do much for me. I will watch it since it was filmed on the GTA. I am going in with no expectations and hoping it’ll wow me and I end up liking it a lot.
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
Just got out of the early screening. DC finally makes a movie that connects with the audience and Billy is a character we can relate to. The movie is total cheese balls - goofy starting with the suit. But it works. It's funny, you have a credible villain in Mark Strong, and Zachary totally pulls off the fish out of water superhero. DC also wasn't afraid to make fun of themselves in this movie either which was nice to see

8/10

Mid credit scene to setup a sequel, end credit scene for gags

Odds n Ends
I've scene near the end had the audience totally cheering
Speaking of Big, there's a funny scene which fittingly calls back to that move.
And can we just agree that Zachary is totally Jimmy Fallon's twin?
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2007
2095 posts
992 upvotes
YYC
Yeah I'd give it an 8 as well. If you liked the cheesy/funny from Aquaman then you will like this too. I really enjoyed the 3rd act.
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Did the cheesiness/humor feel forced? I think that's what I'm most afraid of, that the jokes (either through script or delivery) don't feel fluid or natural to the storyline. What I think is difficult for scriptwriters is to find that balance of being humorous, serious and sometimes dramatic all in the same storyline without one of them feeling like it doesn't belong.