Expired Hot Deals

[NCIX] WD Green 3TB Sata3 with 64MB = $124.99 (NCIX pm to ME)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2012 11:17 pm
Oct 6, 2011
38 posts
3 upvotes
Calgary

[NCIX] WD Green 3TB Sata3 with 64MB = $124.99 (NCIX pm to ME)

3TB Caviar Green 5400rpm SATA III w/ 64MB Cache

NCIX
$129.99
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku= ... omoid=1230

ME
$149.99
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX34380

Final Price: $124.99
16 replies
Mar 10, 2012
247 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
Thx, Black Friday is around the corner and boxing day isn't too far off. So if you don't need these now, might want to wait.
Dec 3, 2003
311 posts
40 upvotes
Kanata
MoMoneyMoHoney wrote:
Nov 8th, 2012 12:11 am
Thx, Black Friday is around the corner and boxing day isn't too far off. So if you don't need these now, might want to wait.
I'm in need of several hard drives, so I'm waiting for BF as well. I'm just wondering if it's all for naught / I will be sorely disappointed with hard drive prices being what they are and the completely consistent sale prices on 3TB for the past several months (i.e. $129 for 3TB and a price match at ME for $125).
Jan 5, 2009
421 posts
35 upvotes
I been waiting for a cheap hd's since august mang how much longer can I wait.
Jan 11, 2010
788 posts
22 upvotes
I predict that this is the cheapest we will see this year.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
1241 posts
267 upvotes
The NORTH
cheapgeek wrote:
Nov 12th, 2012 11:39 am
I predict that this is the cheapest we will see this year.
Agree'd, but I am willing to hold out for a deal on the Red drives for my WHS NAS...
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2008
1038 posts
82 upvotes
Timmins
i still think best deal are clearance external drives. the bad thing though is that they r YMMV and generally, there is no warranty.
Feb 12, 2007
283 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
WD green = failbox
I used it as an external backup drive (ie low load, hardly ever on) and it just up and failed 6 months in. I can't send it in for replacement either because of the sensitive data I have stored on it.

WD=no
:!: ^^ If you like this post click thanks! ^^ :!:
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
1476 posts
418 upvotes
PEI
iamdmc wrote:
Nov 12th, 2012 12:35 pm
WD green = failbox
I used it as an external backup drive (ie low load, hardly ever on) and it just up and failed 6 months in. I can't send it in for replacement either because of the sensitive data I have stored on it.

WD=no
I have 2x1tb wd green used for archival of stuff (not used often), and have had 1 for 2 years and the other for a year and no problems yet. I realize they could fail anytime same as anything. I'm hoping for some good black friday deals so I can get more hd so can backup more stuff and more archival stuff. I have 3-4 backups of critical data on different devices, so a failure is not a big problem.

Are there any programs that can take snapshots of the folders/file names on hdd? I don't want the actual data, but in case of failure, I'd at least have a big list of what was on it. Instead of guessing what I lost.
Dec 3, 2003
311 posts
40 upvotes
Kanata
andrewabc wrote:
Nov 12th, 2012 12:46 pm
I have 2x1tb wd green used for archival of stuff (not used often), and have had 1 for 2 years and the other for a year and no problems yet. I realize they could fail anytime same as anything. I'm hoping for some good black friday deals so I can get more hd so can backup more stuff and more archival stuff. I have 3-4 backups of critical data on different devices, so a failure is not a big problem.

Are there any programs that can take snapshots of the folders/file names on hdd? I don't want the actual data, but in case of failure, I'd at least have a big list of what was on it. Instead of guessing what I lost.
You likely don't need a program. Put this in a batch file and use the windows scheduled to run it however often you want.

dir *.* /a /s /b > %DATE:~-4%%DATE:~4,2%%DATE:~7,2%.txt

That's it...
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3148 posts
341 upvotes
Windsor
Do these drives still have the load cycle issue?

Checked my first 2TB WD Green that I've had 3 years or so now and it has had over 1.3 million load cycles - yikes.... They're only rated to 300k. Have disabled that "feature" now to try and make it last a little longer, but it's probably going to pop sooner or later...
Jan 10, 2009
49 posts
2 upvotes
G77 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2012 1:30 pm
Do these drives still have the load cycle issue?

Checked my first 2TB WD Green that I've had 3 years or so now and it has had over 1.3 million load cycles - yikes.... They're only rated to 300k. Have disabled that "feature" now to try and make it last a little longer, but it's probably going to pop sooner or later...
I have several and they've never let me down. Also just bout this 3tb, thanks to OP

How do you disable that load cycle 'feature' ?
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3148 posts
341 upvotes
Windsor
Avidfan wrote:
Nov 12th, 2012 10:23 pm
I have several and they've never let me down. Also just bout this 3tb, thanks to OP

How do you disable that load cycle 'feature' ?
WD provide a tool - search for WDIDLE3....
× < >