Site Comments & Suggestions

Are we allowing threads on how to break the law?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 2nd, 2018 2:09 pm
17 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36618 upvotes
Scarborough
No we don't allow threads where users specifically ask how to break the law. I don't see that as being the case with the thread you linked to.
RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Penalty Box
Aug 11, 2005
4175 posts
1432 upvotes
It’s illegal to raise rent above the standard guidelines. The entire thread is talking about how to bypass the law.

In the same vein that torrent talk is disallowed here due to copyrights, this is exactly the same logic.
Political avatars and signature are not permitted.
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
Luckyinfil wrote: It’s illegal to raise rent above the standard guidelines. The entire thread is talking about how to bypass the law.

In the same vein that torrent talk is disallowed here due to copyrights, this is exactly the same logic.
Can you give us more specifics to review? I'm not sure if the mods are familiar with real estate / rent rules or not. Bypassing the law is not always breaking the law, is it?
RFD Forums Moderator
Penalty Box
Aug 11, 2005
4175 posts
1432 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote: Can you give us more specifics to review? I'm not sure if the mods are familiar with real estate / rent rules or not. Bypassing the law is not always breaking the law, is it?
Not sure if you are trolling or not but it is clearly stated in the post: It’s illegal to raise rent above the standard guidelines. The entire thread is talking about how to bypass the law.

Let me expand on the clearly defined torrent parallel. Torrents are not illegal, but distribution of copy right content is. Yet we don't allow torrent talk on RFD, why is that?
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36618 upvotes
Scarborough
Luckyinfil wrote: Not sure if you are trolling or not but it is clearly stated in the post: It’s illegal to raise rent above the standard guidelines. The entire thread is talking about how to bypass the law.

Let me expand on the clearly defined torrent parallel. Torrents are not illegal, but distribution of copy right content is. Yet we don't allow torrent talk on RFD, why is that?
The user wasn't asking for illegal ways to raise rent (as far as I know) but rather seemed to just ask if anyone had done it. I don't see that anyone in response has suggested any illegal methods either.

Torrent discussions aren't banned as far as I know. Posting links to torrent sites that host pirated or otherwise illegal materials is banned.
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10205 posts
753 upvotes
Post number 9, 27, 52 is against the law. There are a few more.

Cant evict a tenant because they refuse to pay the landlords new price.

That is why rent control was introduced(which is what the whole thread is about) because of landlord like those.
Either pay an extra amount, still less than market rent but substantially more than the cap, or the unit will have to be put on the market.
This is illegal.
Penalty Box
Aug 11, 2005
4175 posts
1432 upvotes
TomRFD wrote: The user wasn't asking for illegal ways to raise rent (as far as I know) but rather seemed to just ask if anyone had done it. I don't see that anyone in response has suggested any illegal methods either.

Torrent discussions aren't banned as far as I know. Posting links to torrent sites that host pirated or otherwise illegal materials is banned.
That's not correct, I've seen people banned for that before. You should get your facts straight or have your mods reminded of what the rules are.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13284 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Don't be too harsh now, mods are volunteers and they do a pretty good job at cleaning threads.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Penalty Box
Aug 11, 2005
4175 posts
1432 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Don't be too harsh now, mods are volunteers and they do a pretty good job at cleaning threads.
That's not a good excuse. If you can't do the job properly then let someone else who can.
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
I've asked @TomRFD to take a closer look at the thread. He will get back to us on a final decision.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10205 posts
753 upvotes
Luckyinfil wrote: That's not correct, I've seen people banned for that before. You should get your facts straight or have your mods reminded of what the rules are.
There is a torrent related thread in OT and computer subforum. They havent locked it so im pretty sure that is allowed.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36618 upvotes
Scarborough
kevindurant1 wrote: Post number 9, 27, 52 is against the law. There are a few more.

Cant evict a tenant because they refuse to pay the landlords new price.

That is why rent control was introduced(which is what the whole thread is about) because of landlord like those.

This is illegal.
Thanks we'll take a look into those. No one reported them and our staff aren't experts on all subject matter so we rely on user reports for specialized cases like these.
Luckyinfil wrote: That's not correct, I've seen people banned for that before. You should get your facts straight or have your mods reminded of what the rules are.
We don't publicly disclose ban reasons or infraction history so I'm not sure how you could possibly know this. I also see active torrent discussions in the forums right now.
Last edited by TomRFD on Mar 29th, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed broken quote
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6584 posts
1749 upvotes
rural ontario
Torrents are not illegal, no more then kodi is illegal. People may do illegal things with them, but I would hate to see my torrent discussions about downloading Linux ISO images banned.
Is the OP stirring the pot over some personal offense?
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
rilles wrote: Torrents are not illegal, no more then kodi is illegal. People may do illegal things with them, but I would hate to see my torrent discussions about downloading Linux ISO images banned.
Is the OP stirring the pot over some personal offense?
I agree, and while I can't make assumptions about the OP's motives here; however, as a general note, we typically find those that that are in the Penalty Box to be more "vocal" about concerns or issues on the forums.

As Tom mentioned, we do not prohibit torrent discussions for the reasons you just mentioned, torrents themselves are not illegal.

Tom has committed to reviewing the thread mentioned in the OP and if the admins agree that there is "illegal talk", they will action the thread accordingly.
RFD Forums Moderator
Penalty Box
Aug 11, 2005
4175 posts
1432 upvotes
TomRFD wrote: Thanks we'll take a look into those. No one reported them and our staff aren't experts on all subject matter so we rely on user reports for specialized cases like these.

We don't publicly disclose ban reasons or infraction history so I'm not sure how you could possibly know this. I also see active torrent discussions in the forums right now.
That's not true. I reported posts in those thread and no actions were taken.

Perhaps moderation actions should be made public so that we can finally have some accoutability and precedence, as opposed to the typical mods hiding behind the complaints process. Every request for explanation is always followed by: "talk to tom, we don't care LOLOL". I'm not the only one making this comment, it's a common theme throughout this entire forum.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6584 posts
1749 upvotes
rural ontario
or... your view of perceived injustices was not shared by the moderators. If I found you offensive and asked the mods to delete you, should they? mods walk the fine line of free speech and someone offended by something.
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
rilles wrote: or... your view of perceived injustices was not shared by the moderators. If I found you offensive and asked the mods to delete you, should they?
We would certainly review it, and if the report had merit, we'd discuss next steps internally. We would review things like infraction history, penalty box status, post history, contribution history, and then make a decision based on that.
RFD Forums Moderator