Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Locked: We need help, my sister and brother in law are being 'shaken down' at her restaurant

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2018 7:11 pm
[OP]
Jan 24, 2018
149 posts
33 upvotes

We need help, my sister and brother in law are being 'shaken down' at her restaurant

To sum it up, my sister and brother in law opened a bar/restaurant in the GTA.

It just opened its doors a few weeks ago. Not long after that, my sister told me that "2 men" from what seems like a "certain group" approached her and my brother in law and basically told them that they expect ______ on a per month basis or other stuff would happen (that are not good). I know this seems like a stupid post and I know this may not be the place to post this but we don't really know what else to do and she is afraid to call the police.

My sister is a normal person in her early 30's and does not know how to deal with this kind of a thing as she's just a regular university graduate trying to fulfill her dream of her restaurant. Does anyone have any advice or how to deal with this. My brother in law does not want to give them what they want but my sister is afraid "if they dont". Has anyone dealt with it who also owns a business... we are seeking your help pls..
Share:
148 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1396 posts
716 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
You have already suggested the only option and that is to call the police. Additionally install security cameras and some form of voice recorder that can easily be activated when these persons attend.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7459 posts
3306 upvotes
Toronto
i wonder how Starbucks deals with this stuff.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7104 posts
1392 upvotes
Mississauga
Call the police?Face With Rolling Eyes
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Sep 27, 2015
207 posts
57 upvotes
Pickering, ON
Sorry to hear that. I can't think of anything but trying to find a way to work with police on this one...in a way where their life is not in great danger.
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
248 posts
65 upvotes
Do you have details on "certain group"?
I did not know stuff like that still happened

Call the police and tell them
Tell your insurance company, just in case your restaurant is set on fire
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
7574 posts
546 upvotes
While it’s a VERY tough situation to be in, why don’t you ask neighboring restaurants if this is what’s happening to them as well? First off, calling the police may put their lives in danger as anything can happen. Secondly, if this is something that all restaurants and stores pay for “peace,” you may have to decide if this is where you want your restaurant.

I hate to hear that this is happening but I’m not surprised. Good luck and keep us updated.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2013
3272 posts
830 upvotes
markham
lol ...this has to be a troll thread!
this is 2018...not 1950....in this day and age...who in their right mind would try to threaten and extort someone in their place of business?...with all the different types of surveillance and security..tell your sister the only option is to contact the police and tell them a threat has been issued. you live in Canada..not some 3rd world country where the police are in on every scam.
Unless your sis has something to hide ..why afraid to go to police?

Contact media too!...this more this is brought out in public..the safer they will be.
the people making the threats don't know how serious this offence is if they get caught for these threats either.

failure to contact police just perpetuates this extortion.

but really...i bit on this thread but i have my doubts this is real.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2013
3272 posts
830 upvotes
markham
bobbings wrote:
Mar 4th, 2018 8:40 am
While it’s a VERY tough situation to be in, why don’t you ask neighboring restaurants if this is what’s happening to them as well? First off, calling the police may put their lives in danger as anything can happen. Secondly, if this is something that all restaurants and stores pay for “peace,” you may have to decide if this is where you want your restaurant.

I hate to hear that this is happening but I’m not surprised. Good luck and keep us updated.
put their lives in danger??
stop watching TV....how often have innocent people get murdered over threats like this??...not often at all....go to the police
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
7574 posts
546 upvotes
cardguy wrote:
Mar 4th, 2018 8:44 am
lol ...this has to be a troll thread!
this is 2018...not 1950....in this day and age...who in their right mind would try to threaten and extort someone in their place of business?...with all the different types of surveillance and security..tell your sister the only option is to contact the police and tell them a threat has been issued. you live in Canada..not some 3rd world country where the police are in on every scam.
Unless your sis has something to hide ..why afraid to go to police?

Contact media too!...this more this is brought out in public..the safer they will be.
the people making the threats don't know how serious this offence is if they get caught for these threats either.

but really...i bit on this thread but i have my doubts this is real.
Here’s an extortion case in Toronto as reported by the Toronto Star. Who knows how many there are that goes unreported when physical harm or damage to property is the threat instead of just tickets.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2010/0 ... _case.html

Here’s another one in Montreal:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/na ... ice=mobile
Last edited by bobbings on Mar 4th, 2018 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
7574 posts
546 upvotes
cardguy wrote:
Mar 4th, 2018 8:47 am
put their lives in danger??
stop watching TV....how often have innocent people get murdered over threats like this??...not often at all....go to the police
You’re right, I don’t hear often that people are murdered for threats like this. I also don’t hear much about gangs and turf wars. I don’t hear about mafias and triads. That means they don’t exist right? All just made up for movies and entertainment.

And to clarify, I’m not saying don’t call the police, I suggested to find out from neighbours if this is happening to everyone. That would be my first course of action before calling the police.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
248 posts
65 upvotes
cardguy wrote:
Go to media and get some free publicity
Being in media spotlight will also provide some insurance
to prevent anything from happening
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
3044 posts
395 upvotes
GTA
Which area in the gta is the restaurant in?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7652 posts
1004 upvotes
Toronto
cardguy wrote:

I think failure of the Police is why this type of extortion still exists today and is allowed to perpetuate.
how many times we see people go to the police and they do nothing.
some people even take hard evidence like dash cam footage and still you have to make your own case on youtube etc before they act.
Most importantly, many police are dirty and if the bad guys are so confident, it's because they have some bases covered.
sorry, can't advise OP except maybe move to another location.
I agree about asking other businesses around to make sure the threat is legit though.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2013
3272 posts
830 upvotes
markham
gh05t wrote:
Mar 4th, 2018 10:05 am
I think failure of the Police is why this type of extortion still exists today and is allowed to perpetuate.
how many times we see people go to the police and they do nothing.
some people even take hard evidence like dash cam footage and still you have to make your own case on youtube etc before they act.
Most importantly, many police are dirty and if the bad guys are so confident, it's because they have some bases covered.
sorry, can't advise OP except maybe move to another location.
I agree about asking other businesses around to make sure the threat is legit though.
really?...in my world...canada...this dos not happen...the current charge for this is similar to the US one of racketeering. I had similar case happened to a friend, many years ago..someone tried to extort money..the police put in surveillance and recording devices all over for the next visit...all parties were charged and convicted under organised crime laws and the incident was finished.

these are punks..organised crime has bigger fish to harvest then some new restaurant to be shaken don for a few hundred a week...of you think otherwise..then you are too naive, and you might as well just pay the punks.
this type of an offence carrys a large prison sentences and falls under the organised crime section of the law...you can argue all you want with me but anyone that engages in this is a small time punk and risks way too much for minimal gain....call the police and be done with it.

or live in fear and pay up... taking advice from people on RFD