Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Locked: We need help, my sister and brother in law are being 'shaken down' at her restaurant

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2018 7:11 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
3035 posts
343 upvotes
If you have a problem... if no one else can help... and if you can find them... maybe you can hire... The A-Team. Either them or The Equalizer.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
20265 posts
2222 upvotes
Montreal
random pattern wrote:
Mar 4th, 2018 7:16 pm
If you have a problem... if no one else can help... and if you can find them... maybe you can hire... The A-Team. Either them or The Equalizer.
Them song now stuck in my head..... Tan ta ran tan.... ta tan taan
Oct 27, 2012
266 posts
169 upvotes
Shwa
ask for a receipt so it'll be a tax writeoff
Dec 15, 2017
680 posts
143 upvotes
Toronto
cardguy wrote:
Mar 4th, 2018 8:44 am
lol ...this has to be a troll thread!
this is 2018...not 1950....in this day and age...who in their right mind would try to threaten and extort someone in their place of business?...with all the different types of surveillance and security..tell your sister the only option is to contact the police and tell them a threat has been issued. you live in Canada..not some 3rd world country where the police are in on every scam.
Unless your sis has something to hide ..why afraid to go to police?

Contact media too!...this more this is brought out in public..the safer they will be.
the people making the threats don't know how serious this offence is if they get caught for these threats either.

failure to contact police just perpetuates this extortion.

but really...i bit on this thread but i have my doubts this is real.
You must not be vietnamese or italian, and don't own a restaurant or a bar. This is damn common in the GTA. Nobody can open a strip-tease/lap dance bar without the Hell's Angels taking a cut. Like you, I also did not believe this sort of garbage existed in Canada let alone in 2018.
Nov 4, 2011
459 posts
281 upvotes
YYZ
daivey wrote:
Mar 4th, 2018 8:03 am
i wonder how Starbucks deals with this stuff.
Threats? When I worked at Starbucks threats weren't ever an issue. Unless they came from customers who threatened to call Howard Schultz about us being out of something. And we would just contact the security department and / or the local police.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15124 posts
5399 upvotes
You need to call the police.
You should also make sure that you have the appropriate insurance to cover your business for potential attacks (vandalism, etc.) and that your coverage is adequate (e.g. does it cover loss of business?).

It would seem unreasonable someone would threaten you for extortion money with no means to back it up. Their extortion business would be short-lived. Your business needs to be prepared, with actual insurance, to deal with these attacks.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1235 posts
209 upvotes
No Frills wrote:
Mar 4th, 2018 10:46 am
Lol I thought shaking down mom and pop restaurants is what organized crime did in 1918 instead of 2018. Must be some small time street gang starting out with some initial funding.
They might be from the government lol king street project lol you complain that your business is hurting from the king street project these boys will come pay you a visit and tell you to shut up lol. Jk
[OP]
Jan 24, 2018
172 posts
35 upvotes
Thanks to the recommendations, and its sad that even in a serious situation like this ppl are coming here to crack jokes and sarcastic remarks.

A few posters have said that these are probably "local street kid gangbangers". These 2 guys who showed up were not your local street kids who have just formed a gang called "gangsta sick killah thugzzz ". She told me the men were well into their 40's or 50's, these were grown men that were dressed like everyday people, no baggy clothing etc. My sister and our family are not stupid ppl so pls stop assuming we are.

To the posters who are attacking my sister and us for not "standing up to these ppl, thereby being a part of the problem and letting it flourish":
Why does my sister have to be the one to stand up to these kinds of ppl? Why does she have to risk her business, her life, uprooting her entire family, etc. for something like this? Why couldn't the other ppl this group is doing this on have stood up?

To those who said "call the cops". and specifically "cardguy". Cardguy, this isn't a video game, its real life. You've been playing too much spider-man and call of duty. When they spoke to my sister they already knew her name as well as my brother in laws. It's easy to talk tough and act like your superman or captain america when this isn't happening to you and your behind a computer screen. Do you actually think my sister or anyone in their right mind would testify in court against these kinds of animals? What happens after she testifies? you think uprooting her entire family is worth it and living under some new stupid identity thing? You're playing too many video games and world of warcraft.

With calling police, My sister was too scared to speak with the police so instead, I Myself called and basically spoke anonymously with a detective and he was pretty helpful. He covered all the angles for us and He told me that in this type of situation we can report it and they will press charges but he also really emphasized that we would have to testify in court against them, and this maybe dangerous. He said even if they press charges these people just post bail and get out because theres so many of them, and told us the different stuff we should really think about before going up against such serious ppl.

the people who are saying report it to the media, and what is this going to do in the end? it will get media coverage and give you something interesting to watch while your at your safe home eating dinner, and my sister and brother in law will be exposed to this group for doing this. There names will be known for the 2 ppl who brought this "heat" on the group. Why would we risk this? media coverage isn't going to do jack.

And i agree with speaking with other business' in the area which is exactly whwat we'll be doing. thanks again guys.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
1845 posts
620 upvotes
@jimmysack Keep us posted. Tough spot to be in. Like some have suggested, get cameras and surveillance. Document all encounters in high def. Go to the authorities; go to the media, there's lots of news channel who would love to air this, as it attracts viewers. Be prepared to fight. With that much amount of spotlight, they're likely to back off & your sister will get free publicity.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Mar 1, 2011
433 posts
98 upvotes
Stoney Creek
Welcome to the Canadian world of small business. You do have a couple of options. First you must identify exactly who is shaking you down and for whom. Also determine if the amount they want is outrageous or not. Typical figures in have heard over the years are 6 percent. People who I knew that paid it called it an investment tax. Cost of doing business but also if in the future you need help for things like zoning and inspection they will help you out because they want you to say open as it is their source of income as well. If the extortionists are sided with the police then you calling the police will do nothing. If you decide to take matters into your own hand don't be surprised if the tough guy all of a sudden becomes a chicken calls the police and gets you in trouble. It's happened as well.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3444 posts
586 upvotes
Yes please pay them as requested. Let me know the location, I will come for my cut also
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9887 posts
1811 upvotes
Montréal
jimmysack wrote:
Mar 5th, 2018 10:19 am
I Myself called and basically spoke anonymously with a detective and he was pretty helpful. He covered all the angles for us and He told me that in this type of situation we can report it and they will press charges but he also really emphasized that we would have to testify in court against them, and this maybe dangerous. He said even if they press charges these people just post bail and get out because theres so many of them, and told us the different stuff we should really think about before going up against such serious ppl.

the people who are saying report it to the media, and what is this going to do in the end? it will get media coverage and give you something interesting to watch while your at your safe home eating dinner, and my sister and brother in law will be exposed to this group for doing this. There names will be known for the 2 ppl who brought this "heat" on the group. Why would we risk this? media coverage isn't going to do jack.
So the cop really didn't give you a 'safe'/good 'out' of this situation, still some real risks...that is just a horrible situation, depending on how much this criminal org is motivated for targets that don't play along. The cops really are 'useless' if they can't give you a good option. Wth is that >>>$1B budget for...? They should just crack down on all these criminals, instead of turning a blind eye or worse getting into bed w/ them.

About the media, I was thinking of putting a spotlight on your sister/BIL, so it's a greater risk for the 'mob' if they want to exact revenge. If they wish to fight this, then the criminals will feel dissed anyway, so might as well have *your family* be in the spotlight, not really about highlighting the criminals. I know it's not an amazing deterrent but better than nothing if they do decide to stand up to them.

GL w/ you/your family's choice. It's crazy in Canada 2018 things like this still happens.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12932 posts
3232 upvotes
Here 'n There
tranquility922 wrote:
Mar 5th, 2018 7:44 pm
So the cop really didn't give you a 'safe'/good 'out' of this situation, still some real risks...that is just a horrible situation, depending on how much this criminal org is motivated for targets that don't play along. The cops really are 'useless' if they can't give you a good option. Wth is that >>>$1B budget for...? They should just crack down on all these criminals, instead of turning a blind eye or worse getting into bed w/ them.

About the media, I was thinking of putting a spotlight on your sister/BIL, so it's a greater risk for the 'mob' if they want to exact revenge. If they wish to fight this, then the criminals will feel dissed anyway, so might as well have *your family* be in the spotlight, not really about highlighting the criminals. I know it's not an amazing deterrent but better than nothing if they do decide to stand up to them.

GL w/ you/your family's choice. It's crazy in Canada 2018 things like this still happens.
Yup look what happened to Barry & Honey Sherman.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4163 posts
760 upvotes
Richmond Hill
jimmysack wrote:
Mar 4th, 2018 7:09 am
To sum it up, my sister and brother in law opened a bar/restaurant in the GTA.

It just opened its doors a few weeks ago. Not long after that, my sister told me that "2 men" from what seems like a "certain group" approached her and my brother in law and basically told them that they expect ______ on a per month basis or other stuff would happen (that are not good). I know this seems like a stupid post and I know this may not be the place to post this but we don't really know what else to do and she is afraid to call the police.

My sister is a normal person in her early 30's and does not know how to deal with this kind of a thing as she's just a regular university graduate trying to fulfill her dream of her restaurant. Does anyone have any advice or how to deal with this. My brother in law does not want to give them what they want but my sister is afraid "if they dont". Has anyone dealt with it who also owns a business... we are seeking your help pls..
Talk to your neighbourhood businesses. We've found that most folks tend to be helpful and wouldn't mind keeping an eye out. Especially small businesses, all owners know the trials and tribulations of owning your business.

Also, police is your #1 bet.

GL.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15124 posts
5399 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Mar 5th, 2018 7:44 pm

The cops are not useless - they are being realistic. If only one person chooses to stand up the people who can be charged are minimal. That leaves a large number of people with the criminal organization available to "set an example" for others.

Taking down criminal organizations for things such as extortion requires large numbers of people to step forward. These groups can easily quash a small number of people, but when the number is large their options dry up quickly and they become easy targets.

Police can only do so much by themselves - we as the targets / victims need to also be brave enough to step forward to make a difference. Especially in scenarios like extortion which requires the target / victim to step forward.