Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Locked: We need help, my sister and brother in law are being 'shaken down' at her restaurant

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2018 7:11 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9214 posts
1582 upvotes
Montréal
Exp315 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 1:07 am
I didn't say that I supported this situation in any way. As a Canadian I am totally outraged by it, and I wish the police would do something. If it were me, I would likely close my business and move before paying protection money.

But I'm not naive enough to believe that the world always works the way we want, and I know that in business you have to be prepared to compromise and do the practical thing sometimes. Stand on principle and make a fight of it if you wish. Someone else more practical will probably step forward to take over the fire-bombed remains of your restaurant after you've finished crying to the police and they've shrugged and told you they can't do anything.
I agree w your first statement re closing shop But I'd neVer Pay them as they'd keep asking more. I'm not naive either but in this country it's outrageous ppl allow it to happen and I wouldn't add to the prb by acquiescing.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5392 posts
1158 upvotes
Whitby
OP, how much do they want per month for protection? For $600 a month we'll protect you from these type of people; pm me.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12537 posts
3071 upvotes
Here 'n There
$600 going once, going twice. Do I hear $550?

Love to know how you protect them from these people. You don't even know who the people are. Gang war?
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2008
2375 posts
446 upvotes
GTA
whatever you do OP don't take advice from cardboard or whatever his name is... and for the people who think this doesn't happen in today's day and age, I dare you to go try opening a restaurant in like vaughan/woodbridge, then come tell me it doesn't happen...
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7271 posts
3102 upvotes
Toronto
kramerz80 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 3:27 pm
whatever you do OP don't take advice from cardboard or whatever his name is... and for the people who think this doesn't happen in today's day and age, I dare you to go try opening a restaurant in like vaughan/woodbridge, then come tell me it doesn't happen...
i dont know.. i mean u cant live life in fear... maybe they should fear me? maybe im loco? u must have a lot of balls to go into someones place of business and threaten them like this... who's to say the owner doesn't snap...... and when it's time to pay, the owner is waiting for the thugs with a shot gun and bath tub of acid? because that would be me if someone threatened me like this..
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
19978 posts
1688 upvotes
Toronto
Clearly the obvious answer is to hire a few local RFDers and form the RFD protection team - to protect against these small time hoodlums....

Maybe some free food and drink from your sister's resto - that should good enough payment to start off with...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5392 posts
1158 upvotes
Whitby
eonibm wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 12:05 pm
$600 going once, going twice. Do I hear $550?

Love to know how you protect them from these people. You don't even know who the people are. Gang war?
Last edited by Zamboni on Mar 10th, 2018 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5392 posts
1158 upvotes
Whitby
eonibm wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 10:09 am
Well?
My post about offering OP protection against the guys offering protection was obviously in jest eonibm...same with that pic.
Its Paulie walnuts from the Sopranos, he ran protection rackets and was that was his memorable phrase.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12537 posts
3071 upvotes
Here 'n There
Zamboni wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 1:03 pm
My post about offering OP protection against the guys offering protection was obviously in jest eonibm...same with that pic.
Its Paulie walnuts from the Sopranos, he ran protection rackets and was that was his memorable phrase.
It's hard to know what is in jest and what isn't online, especially with those offering up all kinds of advice/services, etc. in total seriousness.

Who knows what you are up to?
[OP]
Jan 24, 2018
136 posts
29 upvotes
so for those of you who play too much call of duty and other video games like cardguy who thinks he has the powers of superman and captain america, here is a real life example of why its difficult to fight against these types of animals and why it can be very dangerous

https://www.mtlblog.com/news/breaking-d ... -the-loose
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3424 posts
577 upvotes
Find more news reports, also montreal one doesn’t say why?
[OP]
Jan 24, 2018
136 posts
29 upvotes
Engi-Nir wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 5:39 pm
Find more news reports, also montreal one doesn’t say why?
i dont need to find more news reports. that place was fire bombed with a molotov cocktail prior to the shooting

listen captain america/spider man, if you want more news reports go look for yourself or go back to playing call of duty and world of warcraft
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3424 posts
577 upvotes
jimmysack wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 6:46 pm
i dont need to find more news reports. that place was fire bombed with a molotov cocktail prior to the shooting

listen captain america/spider man, if you want more news reports go look for yourself or go back to playing call of duty and world of warcraft
In that case, you better get your sister to close shop asap,before the place gets bombed.
Jan 6, 2018
29 posts
5 upvotes
lol interesting thread here.

A friend of mine opened up a restaurant in downtown spadina chinatown. There were always rumors about businesses there having to deal with gangs for protection money so I asked him about it. He says that he's dealt with gangs and drunken punks being jurks in the restaurant, but never a coordinated attempt to get protection money...and he's been there for a few years now.

Out of curiosity, I asked what he would do if he was asked and basically he would do what another suggested...find out what other businesses in the area are doing. If others are paying protection money, than he would pay up and treat it as a cost of businesses. Otherwise, tell the punks to move on.

Telling the insurance company sounds crazy and just asking for trouble of another kind...and I doubt the police would do anything. I worked for my uncle's gardening business back in the day and he apparently encroached into someone elses territory. He got threats and stuff - it was crazy, like the movies.....the police did nothing. Those guys always know how to scare someone, but if you can't identify them, police can't do anything...in fact my uncle never found out who it was...

I don't know what I would do in that situation. I'm too hot tempered for my own good and probably get into trouble or beat up...lol
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1111 posts
147 upvotes
Markham, ON
Didn't read everything. I am just wondering who did the due diligence for the location of your sister and brother in law business?

If you ask your neighbouring business owners and they have been paying for years. It may actually a good idea to contact the police as a group. Or at least go to a lawyer.

I wonder if anyone suggested this yet? Now everything is out in the open. Thank you very much.