Entrepreneurship & Small Business

We need help, my sister and brother in law are being 'shaken down' at her restaurant

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2018 9:36 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1030 posts
124 upvotes
Markham, ON
Didn't read everything. I am just wondering who did the due diligence for the location of your sister and brother in law business?

If you ask your neighbouring business owners and they have been paying for years. It may actually a good idea to contact the police as a group. Or at least go to a lawyer.

I wonder if anyone suggested this yet? Now everything is out in the open. Thank you very much.
[OP]
Jan 24, 2018
87 posts
25 upvotes
Poppwl wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 11:04 pm
Didn't read everything. I am just wondering who did the due diligence for the location of your sister and brother in law business?

If you ask your neighbouring business owners and they have been paying for years. It may actually a good idea to contact the police as a group. Or at least go to a lawyer.

I wonder if anyone suggested this yet? Now everything is out in the open. Thank you very much.
lol whats a lawyer going to do ? throw paperwork at them? file a lawsuit against them?

its truly amazing how naive and oblivious some ppl are to the things that go on around us
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1030 posts
124 upvotes
Markham, ON
I think people who has been paying can start keeping a record about how much money has been extorted from them from these threats you speak of?

There are numbers in bill issued? It is traceable if you are willing to put in some work yourself.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1030 posts
124 upvotes
Markham, ON
I am sorry for being naive and that I don't understand all the hidden costs of doing businesses
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
3063 posts
750 upvotes
markham
Poppwl wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 9:10 pm
I am sorry for being naive and that I don't understand all the hidden costs of doing businesses
dont be sorry to op...if this story was real...he wouldn't be here talking about it...
no location given ...just a pile of useless info...yet he is quick to defend,,,and very quick to rebutt posts.

what profit margin does your sister expect to operate at?
is it a club that she is opening?
what area "downtown"?

enough with this fantasy story...and enough with the he said/she said/ someone told me....
how many have owned restaurant here...in Toronto...not Montreal (cesspool) ??
how many have been extorted..and if you have...how much did you pay?

otherwise let the bs die
Jan 6, 2018
29 posts
5 upvotes
>> enough with this fantasy story...and enough with the he said/she said/ someone told me....

I think it's very fair that people who want to help don't post personal information. I will totally share my personal experiences here but never reveal any personal information. If others don't want to believe it because I don't provide any identifiers, so be it, I really don't care. I've gained some pretty useful ideas from very anonymous posts on this board. I don't care if they are telling the truth or not, but it's a new idea to handle a situation that came about from reading.

I think it's unreasonable to expect people would share suggestions with identifiers to prove that they are telling the truth b/c you can't tell if that information is true or not anyways. Also, you shouldn't be the victim of a crime to help others on how to avoid it...it just doesn't make sense to say "oh, you've never been mugged so I'm not taking your advice on how not to get mugged".

so in the end, its up to the OP to take in all info and gain ideas from what's posted. Obviously, this particular thread has somewhat degraded, I just disagree with that one statement.
Penalty Box
Mar 20, 2009
1285 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
Considering subscribing to this thread.
I've heard that in the upcoming season two, OP will suspect that the extortioners are participating in this thread, and treat them accordingly.

What an age to be alive - where no one believes anything, and everyone suspects everyone.

/sarcasm

I hope this thread does not get locked, as I would really like to hear how it works out.
Note to self - should I ever buy a restaurant, to make sure to talk to owners in the area and inquire about shakedowns. Would not have crossed my mind.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12397 posts
3013 upvotes
Here 'n There
Its almost 2 weeks now. I am sure the first installment has been due.
Jan 6, 2018
29 posts
5 upvotes
eonibm wrote:
Mar 15th, 2018 5:20 pm
Its almost 2 weeks now. I am sure the first installment has been due.
When you pay off gangs, they give me a receipt for the CRA right?
[OP]
Jan 24, 2018
87 posts
25 upvotes
so update to those who actually cared and wanna know whats going on.

We did as many ppl in the thread said and checked with the neighbouring business', it seems like everyone is paying something to these animals. I still think it's unfair for her to pay this but i guess like some ppl here said its the cost of doing business.

-the people doing this are apparently part of a group that is well known to LE. My sister has decided that she will pay and believes its the cost of doing business in a big city. the amount of the money was never a crazy amount but it was just completely unfair to all of us to shell this out in this day and age.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9018 posts
3454 upvotes
Toronto
Not a bad career, going around businesses and hassle for money.
jimmysack wrote:
Mar 15th, 2018 8:18 pm
so update to those who actually cared and wanna know whats going on.

We did as many ppl in the thread said and checked with the neighbouring business', it seems like everyone is paying something to these animals. I still think it's unfair for her to pay this but i guess like some ppl here said its the cost of doing business.

-the people doing this are apparently part of a group that is well known to LE. My sister has decided that she will pay and believes its the cost of doing business in a big city. the amount of the money was never a crazy amount but it was just completely unfair to all of us to shell this out in this day and age.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Jan 24, 2018
87 posts
25 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Mar 15th, 2018 9:28 pm
its sad and dissappointing imho. but its all over toronto, just look at this poor guy, he says that a sergeant in the police told him its better not to mess with these kind of guys. that just shows you how messed up times are

Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
8669 posts
1390 upvotes
兩最大
jimmysack wrote:
Mar 15th, 2018 8:18 pm
-the people doing this are apparently part of a group that is well known to LE.
That's the infuriating part. The LE should be putting the fear of 'god' to these ppl, no letting them have free rein on honest shopkeepers. Useless, 'known to police' but don't do crap.
Penalty Box
Jul 17, 2008
8201 posts
1678 upvotes
OP is probably some ethnic group where back home this is normal and police is in it. Then they get taken for a ride by fellows from the same ethnic group, knowing that they have the fear from their home country. Otherwise this cannot happen. Do a report to police, have surveilance installed, get insurance. Then you have all your basis covered. But whatever, pay the extortion, not my money.
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Mar 15th, 2018 9:28 pm
Pretty much this