Cell Phones

We need Trim Models when buying phones these days, as they are getting way too expensive.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2018 1:59 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17606 posts
1705 upvotes
Woodbridge

We need Trim Models when buying phones these days, as they are getting way too expensive.

I don't know what trim to call it but I want all the Performance and Features without this nonsense of the Camera. Give me a 4MP for all I care. LOL

Seems like this is all companies like Apple, Google, Samsung are focusing on when releasing their new flagship and charging premium for it which I can't stand.

This is why I like OnePlus so much. Though, they are getting into premium pricing as well.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
9 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1047 posts
964 upvotes
Toronto, ON
There are always cheaper phones with decent prices. You just have to research/wait/get the last year flagship. Oneplus has a decent priced flagships but they are never discounted. Right now, you can buy Xiaomi Mi8 for about USD 400. There are cheaper phones like Redmi Note 5, Mi A1/A2, Honor phones etc. It takes a little bit of effort but you can do it. And there is the usual Koodo gift card promos.
Koodo $40 8GB
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1736 posts
1303 upvotes
Bay Area
A little patience goes a long way. I waited until the S8 launched before buying my S7, and got it for $400 USD BNIB, or almost 40% off the launch price. Any phone released after 2015 will be able to handle anything you can throw at it (minus gaming). You don't need the latest flagship, nor is it financially sound to pay $1000+ for a phone. But since 95% of the population seek instant gratification, companies price phones the way they do, and they sell like hotcakes year after year.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1270 posts
496 upvotes
There is a trim model when it comes to cell phones.
It just a matter of what your definition of trim model.

A. Buying the last year model instead of the latest gadget.. Another options is Koodo promo.

B. Willing to venture outside the mainstream. Example Chinese phones. Just takes time to research & finding which feature is important to you.

In my case big screen, high battery capacity & expandable memory was the main features I looked for.
Other things like NFC, headphones jack, dual sim etc. are minor that I can live without.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
2465 posts
280 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 4:20 pm
Play the Koodo game and get a budget phone for less than a case of beer, or a mid-range phone for less than a tank of gas.
Please explain, is this about churning on a tab?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18709 posts
6729 upvotes
Toronto
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 11:48 pm
Please explain, is this about churning on a tab?
Self explanatory. When a Koodo phone offers comes along, get it.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1336 posts
395 upvotes
Ottawa
bembol wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 4:13 pm
This is why I like OnePlus so much. Though, they are getting into premium pricing as well.
If you like OnePlus then why not give Xiaomi a try? Their Redmi line is mostly what you asked for. Almost top of the lines hardware with relatively subpar cameras. You can get a Redmi 6 for $179 tax included.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4115 posts
706 upvotes
bembol wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 4:13 pm
Seems like this is all companies like Apple, Google, Samsung are focusing on when releasing their new flagship and charging premium for it which I can't stand.
Just my hot take on this.

It's not that difficult to determine whether Apple (Google doesn't report on the Pixel anymore and Samsung doesn't need to report their financials) has been increasing their premium on the iPhone or not. When you look at Apple's quarterly financial reports, the average selling price (ASP) of their iPhone has been increasing, but this appears to be due to 1.) Customers continue to buy the newest iPhone model (no surprise here); and 2.) Customers more often than not buy the mid range storage option rather than the base storage model. The ASP is just the retail revenue level, not the profit level for Apple.

At the same time, the estimated build of materials (BOM) for the latest iPhones have increased in step with Apple's increase in retail prices. The BOM for the 7 Plus was $278 USD, the 8 Plus was $290 USD and the X was $370 USD. iPhones, and smart phones across the industry in general, continue to become increasingly expensive to manufacture. Which shouldn't be a surprise because the flagship smart phones tend to use the latest, and thus most expensive, technology and materials. You can even see this on the PC side where CPUs, GPUs and RAM have maintained or increased prices for years.

And the outside competitors like OnePlus have long ago realized that premium pricing is needed in order to sustain the business. Premium smart phones at cheap prices don't bring in enough profit.

The solution at the moment is to just get that flagship or a model from last year or the year before but keep and use it for a longer period. An iPhone today can go at least 4 years if not more without issue. The same with the Pixel and Galaxy. Just keep and use our smart phones for longer.