• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2019 3:37 pm
[OP]
Dec 23, 2006
953 posts
111 upvotes
Oshawa

Web Developers and Equity Pay

As I am looking to setup an online business and I do not possess the skill set or the time/patience to delve into web development myself I've been trying to find a web developer online. I tried Kijiji seeking a student figuring they'd likely be more willing to accept equity pay for devoting some spare time to the project. Not surprisingly most respondents were tenured individuals trying to push their services with fixed or upfront contract rates attached to them. With a shoestring budget equity is really the only way to go.

I'm just at a loss of where to turn. Perhaps there is something I haven't considered yet that would be similar to the equity route that wouldn't require a large chunk of funding upfront? I'm not trying to get something for free, and the equity route I'm actually paying more in the end for the services that would be rendered so it's a win-win for both parties.

Hopefully this is the appropriate section to make this inquiry.
25 replies
Nov 9, 2011
516 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
No clue what you mean by "Equity Pay"? What is the payment plan were you looking for?
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
13043 posts
3270 upvotes
Here 'n There
tonershop wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 9:11 am
No clue what you mean by "Equity Pay"? What is the payment plan were you looking for?
Payment in a share of the biz, equity, vs cold hard cash. It's not attractive because the equity may not translate into cash and even if it does it could take many years, your fortunes are tied to someone you have no control over or any idea if they even know how to run a biz successfully, you'd be a small shareholder in a closely held biz and it's hard to sell those shares unless one goes public, the list goes on and on.

Equity pay doesn't put food on the table and 99.999% of the time turns into ashes.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
13043 posts
3270 upvotes
Here 'n There
venividivici wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 1:30 am
As I am looking to setup an online business and I do not possess the skill set or the time/patience to delve into web development myself I've been trying to find a web developer online. I tried Kijiji seeking a student figuring they'd likely be more willing to accept equity pay for devoting some spare time to the project. Not surprisingly most respondents were tenured individuals trying to push their services with fixed or upfront contract rates attached to them. With a shoestring budget equity is really the only way to go.

I'm just at a loss of where to turn. Perhaps there is something I haven't considered yet that would be similar to the equity route that wouldn't require a large chunk of funding upfront? I'm not trying to get something for free, and the equity route I'm actually paying more in the end for the services that would be rendered so it's a win-win for both parties.

You are not paying more as it's based on a hope and a prayer that has a tiny chance of turning into cold hard cash at some undeterminable point a zillion years into the future. If it was such a win-win sure thing then the other party would be jumping on it. It should be zero surprise to you that they aren't.
Nov 9, 2011
516 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
eonibm wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 9:47 am
Payment in a share of the biz, equity, vs cold hard cash. It's not attractive because the equity may not translate into cash and even if it does it could take many years, your fortunes are tied to someone you have no control over or any idea if they even know how to run a biz successfully, you'd be a small shareholder in a closely held biz and it's hard to sell those shares unless one goes public, the list goes on and on.

Equity pay doesn't put food on the table and 99.999% of the time turns into ashes.
Ah thanks for the clarification, learning something new everyday :)
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
13043 posts
3270 upvotes
Here 'n There
tonershop wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 9:53 am
Ah thanks for the clarification, learning something new everyday :)
On the other hand, sometimes you might be able to find the needle-in-the-haystack developer that will take equity, but good luck with that. Developers are always approached by people with the next great idea by people that don't want to pay them actual cash.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
6283 posts
795 upvotes
Toronto
There is no solution, nobody is going to take a risk of investing time and effort into your ideas. On the off chance that you do find someone who is willing to take equity, that developer is probably a developer that has no other options and would not be suitable for the work. The only form of free/cheap labor at your disposal is yourself.

Even if you are willing to pay a developer, it is not all cupcakes and sunshine, contract developers only do the minimal to meet the specified targets. You still need to check and validate the developer's work, if you do not have the time and skillset to check over their work then be prepared to be taken for a ride.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15253 posts
5513 upvotes
Some colleges have "final projects" where their students work on actual industry relevant projects free of charge. This is a way for the student to get something to add to their portfolio - I have seen many employers end up with great products this way. I have also seen some complete duds. Find your local college that deals with web developers (it'll likely be a 1-2 year program).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6945 posts
579 upvotes
Toronto
I hate to be the echo in this chamber but outside of some kid that want to beef up his or her portfolio I can't see it happening.

You'll need to bring something more to the table other than the idea which everyone and their mother has. What are you doing for the project's success that makes you key? Are you bringing in leads, customers, a proper business and marketing plan? How much skin are you putting in this? Why can't I do this myself figuratively speaking. At least you might peak someone's interest.

I'm involved with several business incubators so from experience it's not as easy as throwing out the equity word.
Nov 16, 2015
164 posts
348 upvotes
Calgary
If the likelihood of positive revenue were good, a bank would loan you the money to pay for a developer.

I did an equity deal with a ecommerce store, but the initially paid me my base rate to build it. Once the concept was proven, their needs increased so we agreed to an equity deal for me to come on board as a partner.
Mike| WordPress Developer | Small Business Marketing & SEO
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1190 posts
442 upvotes
venividivici wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 1:30 am

What are you going to do ?
Why should I trust you and your idea?
What is your business plan?
What is a schedule till my first million?
How will we beat Amazon, Facebook and get 85% of Chinese market?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers!
Jan 1, 2017
346 posts
206 upvotes
OP what business are you trying to set up? Have you tried looking into using Shopify? You can set up a custom website pretty easily.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7637 posts
648 upvotes
There are websites out there where you can post what you are looking for and then IT people will bid on those requirements and you get to choose what you want. Most of the work will be done overseas by very capable people.

Check out, https://studio.envato.com and https://www.freelancer.com
Signature removed due to external link rule violation.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
13043 posts
3270 upvotes
Here 'n There
Frankie3s wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 12:17 am
There are websites out there where you can post what you are looking for and then IT people will bid on those requirements and you get to choose what you want. Most of the work will be done overseas by very capable people.

Very capable? Caveat emptor. Some are great. Some are totally incompetent. None of these freelance websites have a lock on only very capable people. There's also upwork.com.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6945 posts
579 upvotes
Toronto
Frankie3s wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 12:17 am

Lol at the very capable part.